2004-06-22 00:31:04

by Oli Ellis

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: diNovo fancy bits

Ref the multimedia keys on the diNovo, they seem to be misinterpreted by
the hid de-scrambler in the bluetooth libraries, BUT apparently the hid
de-scrambler is a carbon copy of that used in the usb bit of the kernel.
So, four possibilities -
1) Logitech have blundered with their HID implementation and the
keyboard simply reports the wrong keypresses, and this is patched over
in the windows driver.
2) Key data is getting corrupted by the bluetooth stack (seems unlikely)
3) The hid de-scrambler is in fact not a correct copy of the usb one (I
have checked this briefly and it seems to be ok?)
4) The kernel usb hid de-scrambler is not correct.

(Am I talking any sense here?)

The best way to test this is - see what keypress events are reported
with the keyboard under normal, backwards compatibility mode (ie usb,
but not bluetooth), and see what keypresses are reported with other (eg.
microsoft) keyboards. Anyone have any idea how to get this info?
Unfortunately, I can't help much here as I have just 'upgraded' from
gentoo to suse 9.1 and crazy stuff happens with the device even plugged
into the usb. I have not tried bluetooth mode yet. (keypresses send the
mouse jumping all over the place and moving icons...)

by Thomas Chiverton

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Re: diNovo fancy bits

On Tuesday 22 Jun 2004 10:49 am, you said:
> > The best way to test this is - see what keypress events are reported
> > with the keyboard under normal, backwards compatibility mode (ie usb,
> > but not bluetooth), and see what keypresses are reported with other (eg.
> > microsoft) keyboards. Anyone have any idea how to get this info?

run 'xev' in an xterm ?

--
Tom Chiverton
Advanced ColdFusion Programmer

Tel: +44(0)1749 834997
email: [email protected]
BlueFinger Limited
Underwood Business Park
Wookey Hole Road, WELLS. BA5 1AF
Tel: +44 (0)1749 834900
Fax: +44 (0)1749 834901
web: http://www.bluefinger.com
Company Reg No: 4209395 Registered Office: 2 Temple Back East, Temple
Quay, BRISTOL. BS1 6EG.
*** This E-mail contains confidential information for the addressee
only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately. You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy this
communication if received in error. No binding contract will result from
this e-mail until such time as a written document is signed on behalf of
the company. BlueFinger Limited cannot accept responsibility for the
completeness or accuracy of this message as it has been transmitted over
public networks.***

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Oli,

> Ref the multimedia keys on the diNovo, they seem to be misinterpreted by
> the hid de-scrambler in the bluetooth libraries, BUT apparently the hid
> de-scrambler is a carbon copy of that used in the usb bit of the kernel.
> So, four possibilities -
> 1) Logitech have blundered with their HID implementation and the
> keyboard simply reports the wrong keypresses, and this is patched over
> in the windows driver.

I don't know anything about Windows HID.

> 2) Key data is getting corrupted by the bluetooth stack (seems unlikely)

The Bluetooth stack is working fine.

> 3) The hid de-scrambler is in fact not a correct copy of the usb one (I
> have checked this briefly and it seems to be ok?)

It is a copy of the USB HID without the USB and the hiddev stuff.

> 4) The kernel usb hid de-scrambler is not correct.

Actually I think it is this or Logitech simply made a mistake in their
HID report descriptor.

> The best way to test this is - see what keypress events are reported
> with the keyboard under normal, backwards compatibility mode (ie usb,
> but not bluetooth), and see what keypresses are reported with other (eg.
> microsoft) keyboards. Anyone have any idea how to get this info?
> Unfortunately, I can't help much here as I have just 'upgraded' from
> gentoo to suse 9.1 and crazy stuff happens with the device even plugged
> into the usb. I have not tried bluetooth mode yet. (keypresses send the
> mouse jumping all over the place and moving icons...)

Using the HID proxy feature of the Bluetooth hub might not help if it
switches it into boot protocol mode. Read the HID report descriptors
from the hub and from the Bluetooth SDP database and compare them.

Regards

Marcel