2004-06-30 04:30:39

by Mykel

Subject: [Bluez-users] Apple BT Keyboard?

I've been flagging the discussions about it in the past few weeks, but
I'm not up with the whole process of what I'm supposed to do, and I
haven't been able to piece it together from what I've seen.

I have my MX900 working in 2.4.26 using bthid & hcid.... I don't seem to
have hidd... (I have to press the Connect button and do a bthid -c $ADDR
after leaving the mouse 20min or the first time I use it.)

What do I need to get the keyboard working? Is it worthwhile attempting
this with 2.4? Slackware 10 is out and I'm playing with it in 2.6, but I
have many other requirements (I'm an on site network tech, lots of fancy
stuff in my kernel) so I'm not stable in 2.6 yet.

Myke

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Apple BT Keyboard?

Hi Mykel,

> I've been flagging the discussions about it in the past few weeks, but
> I'm not up with the whole process of what I'm supposed to do, and I
> haven't been able to piece it together from what I've seen.
>
> I have my MX900 working in 2.4.26 using bthid & hcid.... I don't seem to
> have hidd... (I have to press the Connect button and do a bthid -c $ADDR
> after leaving the mouse 20min or the first time I use it.)

the hidd is in bluez-utils-2.7 and needs a 2.6.7-mh1 kernel with
activated HIDP kernel module.

Pressing the connect button is only needed for the initial connection
and after that the mouse will reconnect to you. For that you must run
"hidd --server".

> What do I need to get the keyboard working? Is it worthwhile attempting
> this with 2.4? Slackware 10 is out and I'm playing with it in 2.6, but I
> have many other requirements (I'm an on site network tech, lots of fancy
> stuff in my kernel) so I'm not stable in 2.6 yet.

I propose that you install 2.6.7-mh1 with hidp.ko and use hidd.

Regards

Marcel

by Charles Bueche

Hi,

you might check my HOWTO, which details the steps and provide some
explanations.

http://www.bueche.ch/comp/mx900/mx900.html

Regs,
Charles

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:30:39 -0400
Mykel <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been flagging the discussions about it in the past few weeks, but
> I'm not up with the whole process of what I'm supposed to do, and I
> haven't been able to piece it together from what I've seen.
>
> I have my MX900 working in 2.4.26 using bthid & hcid.... I don't seem
> to have hidd... (I have to press the Connect button and do a bthid -c
> $ADDR after leaving the mouse 20min or the first time I use it.)
>
> What do I need to get the keyboard working? Is it worthwhile
> attempting this with 2.4? Slackware 10 is out and I'm playing with it
> in 2.6, but I have many other requirements (I'm an on site network
> tech, lots of fancy stuff in my kernel) so I'm not stable in 2.6 yet.
>
> Myke

by Mykel

YAHOO!!!! :)

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/read.cgi?id=20040813&tid=1296099

So... here's what I think I did to make this work (I hope I can do this
after I reboot :)

-> modprobe hidp
-> hcid
-> hidd --server
-> Press connect on MX900
-> hidd --connect 00:07:61:14:5C:A7
-> Wiggle mouse (I initially got stumped here because I forgot to add
the following to my xorg.conf:
<stuff>
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "MX900IMPS"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
# Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Resolution" "256"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection
InputDevice 'TouchPad' 'CorePointer'
InputDevice 'MX900IMPS' 'SendCoreEvents'
InputDevice 'Keyboard1' 'CoreKeyboard'
</stuff>
I'm actually surprised they keyboard comes up as regular keyboard input
(caps lock keeps sync too! :) anyway...
-> sdpd
-> Turn on keyboard
-> hidd --connect 00:0A:95:3A:29:6D
-> hit "0000^M" very quickly
-> magic!

Now - I need some help with the PIN stuff...
I don't understand what is supposed to do what/be what...
Is my keyboard data encrypted or should I not type my passwords on it?
(I have geek friends... who knows what evil they might enjoy one day :\)

currently, my /usr/bin/bluepin is:
root@immutable:~# cat /usr/bin/bluepin
#!/bin/sh
echo -n "PIN:0000"

aside from changing the number, is there any better I can do?

I tried compiling blue-pin (2.9) but I get this:

root@immutable:/usr/src/bluez29/bluez-pin-0.23# make
cc -O2 -g `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 libglade-2.0 dbus-glib-1
gconf-2.0` -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DDBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE -Wall
-Os -fomit-frame-pointer -DPACKAGE=\"bluez-pin\" -DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\"
-DPACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -c main.c -o main.o
Package dbus-glib-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-glib-1.pc'
No package 'dbus-glib-1' found
main.c:20:21: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
main.c:22:23: dbus/dbus.h: No such file or directory
main.c:23:28: dbus/dbus-glib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from main.c:25:
... and more errors
(This is on a full install of Slackware 10)

I'm getting the impression that when I try and connect to a device that
wants a PIN, some GTK window is supposed to prompt me for a PIN? Can
someone give me some pointers here?

I'm still happy! Should've washed the pool cue chalk off my hands BEFORE
I started using my white keyboard tho ;\

Myke