2004-07-13 10:25:15

by Pavel Ruzicka

Subject: [Bluez-users] MSI MS-6970 (BToes) firmware upgrade

Hello,

Where can I get firmware upgrade for MSI MS-6970 (BToes) USB dongle?
I looked at manufacturer pages and google, but nothing.

Some informations:
-------------------------------
hciconfig hci0 version
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:10:DC:EA:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x20d
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:10:DC:EA:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 16.4
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] MSI MS-6970 (BToes) firmware upgrade

Hi Pavel,

> > The only dongle that can be easily updated using the Apple firmware is
> > from D-Link. And I only had success with the B3 revision. The B4 is not
> > working and I broke another dongle of mine.
>
> Can you tell me, if firmware for D-link use different key than firmware
> for MSI?

I don't know, but I think so. You can check the USB vendor and product
id for your dongle. If it is not the CSR default 0a12:0001 you shouldn't
even think about a firmware upgrade.

> It's possible to get this information from DFU file?

Not that I know.

Regards

Marcel

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hi,

> > Does anybody has a newer .dfu file for Microsoft Wireless Transceiver
> > dongle? :(
> > It would be nice to has it 1.2 ready :((
>
> I don't know of any and flashing another one breaks your Microsoft
> dongle completly.

Michal probably means "Microstar" not "Microsoft" dongle, because he has
maybe same dongle MS-6970 like me.

> The only dongle that can be easily updated using the Apple firmware is
> from D-Link. And I only had success with the B3 revision. The B4 is not
> working and I broke another dongle of mine.

Can you tell me, if firmware for D-link use different key than firmware
for MSI?
It's possible to get this information from DFU file?

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

2004-07-16 06:37:02

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> Does anybody has a newer .dfu file for Microsoft Wireless Transceiver
> dongle? :(
> It would be nice to has it 1.2 ready :((

I don't know of any and flashing another one breaks your Microsoft
dongle completly.

> Marcel could you pls enhance your site with supported dongles about info that
> this dongle was successfully upgraded using newer firmware and contact to
> person who reported it? It will help many people and will save our time to
> this feature questions.

The only dongle that can be easily updated using the Apple firmware is
from D-Link. And I only had success with the B3 revision. The B4 is not
working and I broke another dongle of mine.

So I won't go any further with firmware upgrades until the manufactures
come to me and say that they wanna have a Linux firmware upgrade tool.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> > do you got a *.dfu file for your dongle from MSI?
>
> Yes, I have file fw525.dfu from original installation CD.
> File is available for example here:
> http://home.online.no/~edg-edva/fw525.dfu

the 525 firmware is HCI 16.4 and you already had this on your dongle.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

HMMM!

Does anybody has a newer .dfu file for Microsoft Wireless Transceiver=20
dongle? :(
It would be nice to has it 1.2 ready :((

Marcel could you pls enhance your site with supported dongles about info th=
at=20
this dongle was successfully upgraded using newer firmware and contact to=20
person who reported it? It will help many people and will save our time to=
=20
this feature questions.

Michal

Dne =E8t 15. =E8ervence 2004 21:59 Pavel Ruzicka napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> > > Where can I get firmware upgrade for MSI MS-6970 (BToes) USB dongle?
> > > I looked at manufacturer pages and google, but nothing.
> >
> > do you got a *.dfu file for your dongle from MSI?
>
> Yes, I have file fw525.dfu from original installation CD.
> File is available for example here:
> http://home.online.no/~edg-edva/fw525.dfu
>
> On web is available newer software, but without newer firmware.
> Only firmware updater software, but without *.dfu file.
>
> Windows software tells me, that I have 525 firmware in my dongle.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pavel Ruzicka

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hi,

> > Where can I get firmware upgrade for MSI MS-6970 (BToes) USB dongle?
> > I looked at manufacturer pages and google, but nothing.
>
> do you got a *.dfu file for your dongle from MSI?

Yes, I have file fw525.dfu from original installation CD.
File is available for example here:
http://home.online.no/~edg-edva/fw525.dfu

On web is available newer software, but without newer firmware.
Only firmware updater software, but without *.dfu file.

Windows software tells me, that I have 525 firmware in my dongle.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

2004-07-14 17:33:34

by Marcel Holtmann