2004-08-06 13:38:07

by Somil.Asthana

Subject: RE: [Bluez-users] it is possible to change the N inquiry <256

Hi Marcel,
I think ,but I am not sure, he is asking if its possible to change the =
Inquiry Train time. The device inquires 256 times or for 2.56 s using =
one Train and then switches to a different Train. There are two Inquiry =
Train (called as Train A or Train B).

I don't know any HCI cmd which can reduce this time perhaps there can =
be a vendor specific=20
cmd.

regards
Somil

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of ext Marcel
Holtmann
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 5:19 AM
To: shukri

Hi,

> im quite new to this BlueZ... i would like to ask is it possible to
> change the Ninquiry to less than 256..?

I don't know what you are talking about. What are you trying to achieve?

Regards

Marcel

by shukri

Hi Peter,

You have stated this before:

"If you have a Bluetooth 1.2 scanning device, you will be able to use
interlaced inquiry scan on it (HCI_write_inquiry_scan_type interlaced).
This has the same effect. In fact, it works better than switching
trains on the inquirer because inquiry is quite inefficient and losing
frames on a particular train can have a big impact on the likelihood of
finding a device.

Of course, this requires the other end to co-operate, so there's not a
lot you can do on the inquiring side."

Can you explain it more and how can i use interlaced inquiry scan on a Bluetooth 1.2 scanning device (HCI_write_inquiry_scan_type interlaced). are there any online reference that i can refer to.? =)

Regards,

Shukri

by Peter Stephenson

> what I'm trying to do is that I want to speed up the discovery process.
> As stated by Somil before, the device inquires 256 times or for 2.56 s
> using one Train and then switches to a different Train. There are two
> Inquiry Train (called as Train A or Train B).

If you have a Bluetooth 1.2 scanning device, you will be able to use
interlaced inquiry scan on it (HCI_write_inquiry_scan_type interlaced).
This has the same effect. In fact, it works better than switching
trains on the inquirer because inquiry is quite inefficient and losing
frames on a particular train can have a big impact on the likelihood of
finding a device.

Of course, this requires the other end to co-operate, so there's not a
lot you can do on the inquiring side.

pws

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Shukri,

> what I'm trying to do is that I want to speed up the discovery
> process. As stated by Somil before, the device inquires 256 times or
> for 2.56 s using one Train and then switches to a different Train.
> There are two Inquiry Train (called as Train A or Train B).
>
> What I'm trying to do is, i want to reduce the no. of times that the
> train must be repeated before switches to another train. For e.g. :
>
> AAAAAAAAAAA.....[256x]..BBBBB...[256x]... (train A repeat 256 times
> then see train B)
> ABABABABAB........... (this is what happen when we change Ninquiry=1)
>
> this can speed up the discovery process. are there any command or some
> modification in the source code that we can alter to reduce the no. of
> Ninquiry of train A & B? ~:)
>
> I've done the simulation under network simulator by changing value of
> Ninquiry=1, and i found that the discovery process can be speed up.

you are asking the wrong group of people. We build only a Bluetooth
software stack above the HCI layer. Get in contact with the chip
manufacturers and ask them.

Regards

Marcel

by shukri

Hi there,

what I'm trying to do is that I want to speed up the discovery process. As stated by Somil before, the device inquires 256 times or for 2.56 s using one Train and then switches to a different Train. There are two Inquiry Train (called as Train A or Train B).

What I'm trying to do is, i want to reduce the no. of times that the train must be repeated before switches to another train. For e.g. :

AAAAAAAAAAA.....[256x]..BBBBB...[256x]... (train A repeat 256 times then see train B)
ABABABABAB........... (this is what happen when we change Ninquiry=1)

this can speed up the discovery process. are there any command or some modification in the source code that we can alter to reduce the no. of Ninquiry of train A & B? ~:)

I've done the simulation under network simulator by changing value of Ninquiry=1, and i found that the discovery process can be speed up.

Regards,

Shukri

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Somil,

> I think ,but I am not sure, he is asking if its possible to change the Inquiry Train time. The device inquires 256 times or for 2.56 s using one Train and then switches to a different Train. There are two Inquiry Train (called as Train A or Train B).
>
> I don't know any HCI cmd which can reduce this time perhaps there can be a vendor specific
> cmd.

if this is what he was asking for then the answer is no. I actually
don't know any vendor that allows a modification of that value.

Regards

Marcel