2004-09-05 13:47:37

by Michael Schmidt

Subject: [Bluez-users] no concurrent inquiry / inquiry scan and L2CAP connection as slave

Hi folks,

I'm experiencing the following behavior with BlueZ and L2CAP:

After establishing an L2CAP connection between two nodes, only the
master of this connection is still able to:

- perform periodic device inquiries (i.e. search other devices
in 'Periodic_Inquiry_Mode')
- perform inquiry scans (i.e. be visible for other searching devices)

However, I would like to be able to do this as slave as well (at least,
to perform inquiry scans as slave).

Now I'm wondering whether:

- this is a restriction of BlueZ or
- this is a restriction of my BT chipsets or
- this is a restriction of Bluetooth or
- I'm doing (configuring) something wrong...

My environment:

SuSE Linux 9.0: kernel 2.4.21, bluez-libs 2.4, bluez-utils-2.3

I have tested and verified this behavior with the BrainBoxes BL-500 and
BL-554 adapters.
I'd be very grateful if someone of you could shed some light on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany

by Johannes

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] general question on the procedure of BlueZ

Hi,

can you give me a short checklist, which modules I have to start, that
the communication will have success? Perhaps I have forgotten something.
when I do lsmod, I see the following (relevant) entries:

l2cap 28416 2
hci_usb 16000 2
bluetooth 52100 6 l2cap,hci_usb
ehci_hcd 32644 0
uhci_hcd 33680 0
usbcore 115040 5 hci_usb,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

Do I need more to use the BT Serial Port Profile on serverside with no
problems?

Thanks Johannes

Johannes wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I forgot to say, that the sdp-deamon says "Segmentation fault", when I
> cancel it, to start an new version of my proxy.
> Hopefully it helps.
>
> Greets Johannes
>

> Johannes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would have a question on the general procedure, how BlueZ works.
>>
>> My problem is, that the video-file, I will send from Server to mobile
>> phone, is corrupt. At most, there were transmitted only 9216byte
>> instead the origin 12913byte. When I let the server sleep for (e.g.)
>> 60sec. after the video-file (over an OutputStream and
>> OutputStream.close()) is sent and before the connection is closed to
>> the phone, it works. But this is not really a good implementation.
>>
>> So, how does the BlueZ-Stack works. Does it has an puffer, smaller
>> than 13kbyte or how is the connecton-closing realized? Will be the
>> connection closed, if such an methode will be called, no matter,
>> whether there are data in the puffer?
>>
>> Greets Johannes

by Michael Schmidt

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Holtmann schrieb:

<snip>

> you need at least a HCI 16.4 firmware to get it working. Check my pages
> and the "hciconfig hci0 revision" command for more information.

Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to understand that I'm scratching
scatternet functionality with my requirements.

Looks like I have to check for a firmware upgrade of my modules (if
available...).

Michael

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany
http: http://www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de

by Johannes

Johannes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would have a question on the general procedure, how BlueZ works.
>
> My problem is, that the video-file, I will send from Server to mobile
> phone, is corrupt. At most, there were transmitted only 9216byte
> instead the origin 12913byte. When I let the server sleep for (e.g.)
> 60sec. after the video-file (over an OutputStream and
> OutputStream.close()) is sent and before the connection is closed to
> the phone, it works. But this is not really a good implementation.
>
> So, how does the BlueZ-Stack works. Does it has an puffer, smaller
> than 13kbyte or how is the connecton-closing realized? Will be the
> connection closed, if such an methode will be called, no matter,
> whether there are data in the puffer?
>
> Greets Johannes

by Johannes

Hi all,

I would have a question on the general procedure, how BlueZ works.

My problem is, that the video-file, I will send from Server to mobile
phone, is corrupt. At most, there were transmitted only 9216byte instead
the origin 12913byte. When I let the server sleep for (e.g.) 60sec.
after the video-file (over an OutputStream and OutputStream.close()) is
sent and before the connection is closed to the phone, it works. But
this is not really a good implementation.

So, how does the BlueZ-Stack works. Does it has an puffer, smaller than
13kbyte or how is the connecton-closing realized? Will be the connection
closed, if such an methode will be called, no matter, whether there are
data in the puffer?

Greets Johannes

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michael,

> > this sounds like a chip limitation. What does "hciconfig -a" say?
>
> Here goes:
>
> BL-554:
>
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 02:00:F4:18:51:74 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:1787 acl:1 sco:0 events:92 errors:0
> TX bytes:543 acl:1 sco:0 commands:44 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
> Class: 0x000100
> Service Classes: Unspecified
> Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x175 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1)
> LMP Subver: 0x175
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>

> BL-500:
>
> hci0: Type: UART
> BD Address: 02:00:80:EC:7C:4A ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:897 acl:0 sco:0 events:19 errors:0
> TX bytes:634 acl:0 sco:0 commands:20 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
> Class: 0x000100
> Service Classes: Unspecified
> Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x135 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1)
> LMP Subver: 0x135
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>

> Don't get confused by the apparently weird device addresses; this is
> part of my project.

you need at least a HCI 16.4 firmware to get it working. Check my pages
and the "hciconfig hci0 revision" command for more information.

Regards

Marcel

by Michael Schmidt

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Holtmann schrieb:
> [...]

> master of this connection is still able to:
>
> - perform periodic device inquiries (i.e. search other devices
> in 'Periodic_Inquiry_Mode')
> - perform inquiry scans (i.e. be visible for other searching devices)
>
> However, I would like to be able to do this as slave as well (at least,
> to perform inquiry scans as slave).
>
> Now I'm wondering whether:
>
> - this is a restriction of BlueZ or
> - this is a restriction of my BT chipsets or
> - this is a restriction of Bluetooth or
> - I'm doing (configuring) something wrong...
>
> My environment:
>
> SuSE Linux 9.0: kernel 2.4.21, bluez-libs 2.4, bluez-utils-2.3
>
> I have tested and verified this behavior with the BrainBoxes BL-500 and
> BL-554 adapters.
> I'd be very grateful if someone of you could shed some light on this topic.

this sounds like a chip limitation. What does "hciconfig -a" say?

by Collin R. Mulliner

Hi Michael,

I have an application which connects 2 or mode nodes via rfcomm and all
nodes still do inquirys all the time. Since rfcomm is build on top of
l2cap your stuff should work. Maybe you like to verify it by looking at
my code - http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/

--
Collin R. Mulliner <[email protected]>
BETAVERSiON Systems [http://www.betaversion.net]