2004-09-26 11:20:22

by Wolfgang

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] ipaq 1945

Just a non-technical idea:

It took me two nights to find out that SuSE has a
running firewall and every new interface like bnep0 *is*
protected.....

Wood

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nigel Magnay" <[email protected]>
To: "Marcel Holtmann" <[email protected]>;
<[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 10:12 AM

> it's 2.6.8.1, built on FC2
>

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:09:18 +0200, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Hi Nigel,
> >

> > > I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm using kernel 2.6.8.1, and I'm trying
> > > to get my iPaq 1945 to be able to connect via bluetooth to the
> > > internet, though to start with I'm just trying to get it to connect to
> > > the host computer.
> > >
> > > I think everything is working correctly - I have the stack up and
> > > running, I can get my bnep0 interface up, and assign it an ip address
> > > - e.g. 192.168.1.56. I can then ping that address from linux, and I
> > > can browse it as an internet connection on my ipaq, and connect to it.
> > >
> > > Problem is, neither IE nor Pocket puTTY can use the connection (I try
> > > to ssh to 192.168.1.55, my linux box). I don't know if I'm just
> > > missing something, but I've read all the guides and I'm just confused
> > > as to whether I'm trying something that isn't possible.
> >
> > what kernel version do you use on your Linux machine?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nigel,

> I have it all woring but unrelatedly my box crashes in the bnep driver
> when the device disconnects... I get this on the console :
>
> Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context ad
> include/asm/semaphore.h:119
> in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
> __night_sleep+
> sysfs_hash_and_remove
> br_sysfs_removeif
> br_del_if
> br_device_event
> notifier_call_chain
> unregister_netdevice+0x170/0x2ac
> unregister_netdev+0x18/0x30
> bnep_session+0x7ab/0x860 [bnep]
> schedule_tail+0x1e/0x70
> ret_from_fork+0x6/0x14
> default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
> bnep_session+0x0/0x860 [bnep]
> kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14
>
> I suspect it's a problem with the bnep module rather than anything
> specific to the BlueZ stack..

maybe a problem in the bridge code. Use the latest 2.6.9-rc2-bk14 and
see if this crashes or not.

Regards

Marcel

by Nigel Magnay

It seemed to be something similar:

I think I have it solved - The guide tells you you need to
# brctl addif pan0 eth0
but for me I also need to
# ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
# ifconfig pan0 192.168.1.55
# ifconfig pan0 up
It was quite obvious once I realised how bridging must work!

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:19:45 +0100, Peter Stephenson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nigel Magnay wrote:
> > I had thought I could bridge the interfaces, but I have tried lots of
> > things like
> > brctl addbr br0
> > brctl addif br0 eth0
> > brctl addif br0 bnep0
> >
> > but that just leads to aggravating things like the linux box dropping
> > off the network altogether ..
>
> The particular problem I had when I tried this a while ago now was that
> you need to be careful to use br0 as the interface anywhere you would
> normally use eth0 or bnep0. So for example if you're using DHCP you
> need to run it on br0 to give the IP address to that, or packets won't
> get routed properly (the Ethernet and IP routes aren't consistent). And
> so on.
>
> This may be completely irrelevant and my memory is a bit faded.
>
> pws

> the system manager.

> http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Peter Stephenson

Nigel Magnay wrote:
> I had thought I could bridge the interfaces, but I have tried lots of
> things like
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 bnep0
>
> but that just leads to aggravating things like the linux box dropping
> off the network altogether ..

The particular problem I had when I tried this a while ago now was that
you need to be careful to use br0 as the interface anywhere you would
normally use eth0 or bnep0. So for example if you're using DHCP you
need to run it on br0 to give the IP address to that, or packets won't
get routed properly (the Ethernet and IP routes aren't consistent). And
so on.

This may be completely irrelevant and my memory is a bit faded.

pws

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nigel,

> I got a lot further, I can connect to my server now; I am just left
> with trying to understand why I can't get bridging to work.
>
> I have:
> - router (Internet, DHCP serving 192.168.1.{100-200}) (255.255.255.0)
> - linux box, eth0 = 192.168.1.55 (fixed), bnep0 for bluetooth
> - iPaq connecting to bluetooth
>
> I can talk to the server by making bnep0 192.168.*2*.254 and fixing
> the IP address in the ipaq (or running a dchp server on linux as
> well), but it would be nice to not have to have another dchp server.
>
> I had thought I could bridge the interfaces, but I have tried lots of
> things like
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 bnep0
>
> but that just leads to aggravating things like the linux box dropping
> off the network altogether ..

look at the PAN howto. It has the correct commands to setup a bridge
when you are using Bluetooth BNEP.

Regards

Marcel

by Nigel Magnay

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:44:01 +0200, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> > Hm - don't think its that; I turned off all the firewall options when
> > installing because I am behind a router.
> >
> > It's odd because it all looks like it's working (in that it connects
> > and information seems to flow), just that the ipaq doesn't seem to be
> > able to talk to the linux box
> >
> > Unless I've missed some additional step - I'm not running bridging or
> > anything since I just wanted to try and talk to the host linux box -
> > perhaps I should install those modules and give that a go.
>
> please try some older kernel versions and see if one of them works,
> because the default filter setting has some side effects I haven't
> thought of so far.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

2004-09-28 11:44:01

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:20:22 +0200, Wolfgang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just a non-technical idea:
>
> It took me two nights to find out that SuSE has a
> running firewall and every new interface like bnep0 *is*
> protected.....
>
> Wood

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Re: ipaq 1945

Hi,

> > Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context ad
> > include/asm/semaphore.h:119
> > in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
> > __night_sleep+
> > sysfs_hash_and_remove
> > br_sysfs_removeif
> > br_del_if
> > br_device_event
> > notifier_call_chain
> > unregister_netdevice+0x170/0x2ac
> > unregister_netdev+0x18/0x30
> > bnep_session+0x7ab/0x860 [bnep]
> > schedule_tail+0x1e/0x70
> > ret_from_fork+0x6/0x14
> > default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
> > bnep_session+0x0/0x860 [bnep]
> > kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14
> >
> > I suspect it's a problem with the bnep module rather than anything
> > specific to the BlueZ stack..
>
> I have exactly the same problem and displays exactly the
> above Debug messages:
>
> 1. My Linux Server hosting BlueZ NAP crashes with blank console
> and frozen keyboard when a client BlueZ disconnects, reboots,
> or becomes out-of-range. This happens for clients with Linux or
> with Windows XP Pro. My server config is similar, namely:
>
> a. bridge-router-firewall-bluez.
> b. Linux 2.6.8.1-mm4-mh1 or
> c. Linux 2.6.8.1-mm4-mh2 or
> d. Linux 2.6.8.1-mh1 or
> e. Linux 2.6.8.1-mh2 or
> f. Linux 2.6.5 combo
>
> Incidentally, this setup works very well other than this
> problem. I started running this setup 3 weeks ago with
> only this problem. My users can surf the net, use email,
> etc, with no other problem.
>
> I tried using a Linux Server with nobridge-router-nofirewall-bluez
> and this problem of crashes disappears. But network admin is
> a bit more tedious without bridging.

by O Plameras

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: ipaq 1945