2004-10-07 10:41:54

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth on a MIPS-System

Hello BlueZ-Users,

hope I can get a little help here after some days of vainly trying.
Currently I want to make my MIPS-System (AMD-Alchemy) working with
Bluetooth. Support for Bluetooth was implemented as a Module in Kernel
2.4.21 (without any patch).

Then I crosscompiled the BlueZ-Libs & - Utils, and hcitool says:

"Device ist not available: Address Family not supported by protocol",
altough there is a Bluetooth-USB-Dongle present or not. Before it was:
"Device ist not available: Success", so I think I am one step closer
than before.

lsmod says:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
saa7113 2540 0 (unused)
sii164 2980 0 (unused)
i2c-mb86290 1620 0 (unused)
i2c-algo-mb86290 2828 1 [i2c-mb86290]
i2c-dev 4428 0 (unused)
i2c-core 15504 0 [saa7113 sii164 i2c-algo-mb86290 i2c-dev]
ide-cs 3888 1
hostap 96208 0
ds 8012 1 [ide-cs]
au1x00_ss 8084 1
pcmcia_core 42176 0 [ide-cs ds au1x00_ss]

but nothing like:

l2cap, hci_usb, bluez

doing # modprobe l2cap.o in /bin results:
insmod: l2cap.o: no module by that name found
modprobe: failed to load module l2cap.o

although l2cap is there!
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12400 Jan 1 2004 l2cap.o

now I am at the end of my ideas and would thank you in advance for any
little hint!
edit: the Bluetooth-Dongle is working properly on a x86-based
Linux-System, but not on my embedded-Mips-system...

tom

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth on a MIPS-System

Hi Martin, hi Marcel,

used kernel is 2.4.21 with specific modifications to my Mips-System.
But you were absolutely right, it was the wrong rfcomm. Now, modprobing
rfcomm & bnep is successful! :-)

And guess what, bluetooth is doing fine, too! I thank you very very much
again for giving all those good advices, the manufactor of could't do...

Greetz & a nice weekend!

Thomas

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Thomas Leidenfrost <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1710 +0200]:
>
>>Now I have depmod installed and I know that my Linux is
>>Debian-based.
>
> What kernel are you using? Is this the Debian kernel, or a vanilla
> version?

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

> > this rfcomm.o is not a kernel module. It is a compiled object file
> > from the bluez-hcidump package.
>
> It certainly is a kernel module in 2.6.8.1:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.8-cirrus/kernel/net/bluetooth/rfcomm/rfcomm.ko

but what Thomas tried to load into the kernel was not a kernel module
and I never said that there is no kernel module named rfcomm ;)

Regards

Marcel

by martin f krafft

also sprach Thomas Leidenfrost <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1710 +0200]:
> Now I have depmod installed and I know that my Linux is
> Debian-based.

Good.

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: [email protected]

"aus der kriegsschule des lebens -
was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich h?rter."
- friedrich nietzsche

Attachments:
(No filename) (833.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> Now I have depmod installed and I know that my Linux is Debian-based.
> And my System is non-PCI-based, but USB is already working
> (Input-devides). Running depmod -a results:

> depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o: Unhandled relocation of type 12
> for .text
> depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o: Unhandled relocation of type 12
> for .text
> depmod: depmod obj_relocate failed
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/l2ping.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/ppporc.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/rfcomm.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o
>
> I guess that there is someting totally wrong, but how to solve this?
>
> > this rfcomm.o is not a kernel module. It is a compiled object file from
> > the bluez-hcidump package.
>
> What does this mean?

yes, there is something wrong. You don't understand the difference
between a kernel module and a user space program and an object file that
is produced when building the previous two.

You need the BlueZ kernel modules and you need a cross-compiled version
of bluez-libs and bluez-utils. Try to achieve these two goals first and
don't try to mix them.

Regards

Marcel

by martin f krafft

also sprach Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1617 +0200]:
> this rfcomm.o is not a kernel module. It is a compiled object file
> from the bluez-hcidump package.

It certainly is a kernel module in 2.6.8.1:

/lib/modules/2.6.8-cirrus/kernel/net/bluetooth/rfcomm/rfcomm.ko

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: [email protected]

"with sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. however, this is not
necessarily a good idea. it is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead."
-- rfc 1925

Attachments:
(No filename) (804.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Hi Marcel,

>>Trying to figure out whats missing with depmod -a won't help because:

Now I have depmod installed and I know that my Linux is Debian-based.
And my System is non-PCI-based, but USB is already working
(Input-devides). Running depmod -a results:

depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o: Unhandled relocation of type 12
for .text
depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o: Unhandled relocation of type 12
for .text
depmod: depmod obj_relocate failed
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/l2ping.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/ppporc.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/rfcomm.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/sdptool.o

I guess that there is someting totally wrong, but how to solve this?

> this rfcomm.o is not a kernel module. It is a compiled object file from
> the bluez-hcidump package.

What does this mean?

Thx, Tom

2004-10-07 14:41:33

by martin f krafft

also sprach Thomas Leidenfrost <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1606 +0200]:
> Trying to figure out whats missing with depmod -a won't help because:
>
> # depmod -a
> -sh: depmod: not found

man, what kind of system is this?

would you consider trying Debian on MIPS? That just works...

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: [email protected]

"geld ist das brecheisen der macht."
- friedrich nietzsche

Attachments:
(No filename) (632.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> Now after doing hciconfig hci0 up I am able to ping other devices,
> but I guess I'll need rfcomm, too. But there is something missing... but
> what?
>
> # modprobe rfcomm
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.21/rfcomm.o
> insmod: unresolved symbol putchar
> insmod: unresolved symbol obex_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol parser
> insmod: unresolved symbol get_proto
> insmod: unresolved symbol raw_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol _gp_disp
> insmod: unresolved symbol printf
> modprobe: failed to load module rfcomm
>
> Trying to figure out whats missing with depmod -a won't help because:

this rfcomm.o is not a kernel module. It is a compiled object file from
the bluez-hcidump package.

Regards

Marcel

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Hi Marcel, hi Martin,

>>>So what does "find /lib/modules/ | grep bluetooth" say?
>>This results nothing, just the # again.
> This is wrong unless you copied the BlueZ modules somewhere else by
> hand.

Yes, I did. All modules are located in /lib/modules/2.4.21, but there
are no other subdirectories like bluetooth or something else.

Now after doing hciconfig hci0 up I am able to ping other devices,
but I guess I'll need rfcomm, too. But there is something missing... but
what?

# modprobe rfcomm
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21/rfcomm.o
insmod: unresolved symbol putchar
insmod: unresolved symbol obex_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol parser
insmod: unresolved symbol get_proto
insmod: unresolved symbol raw_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol _gp_disp
insmod: unresolved symbol printf
modprobe: failed to load module rfcomm

Trying to figure out whats missing with depmod -a won't help because:

# depmod -a
-sh: depmod: not found

Thx again, Tom

2004-10-07 13:20:54

by martin f krafft

also sprach Thomas Leidenfrost <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1429 +0200]:
> the linux-distribution I am using is a specific from mycable.

looks like they screwed up. :)

run

depmod -a

then try modprobe again.

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: [email protected]

"information superhighway"
is just an anagram for
"i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart".

Attachments:
(No filename) (538.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> > the kernel modules are part of the Linux kernel you use on your MIPS
> > system. So you need a Linux kernel compiled for MIPS with activated
> > Bluetooth subsystem.
>
> I already had this kernel, but without doing "make modules" I can look
> for them a long long time... ;-)
>
> Now I created the following modules and loaded them on target via modprobe:
> -bluez
> -l2cap
> -hci_vhci
> -hci_uart
> -hci_usb
>
> Doing hcitool scan now results: Device is not available: Success
> So I guess that not all neccessary modules are loaded, right?

you may also need a USB host controller driver. I don't know which to
use for your system. Is it PCI based? If yes, post the output of lspci.

> > So what does "find /lib/modules/ | grep bluetooth" say?
>
> This results nothing, just the # again.

This is wrong unless you copied the BlueZ modules somewhere else by
hand.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> > modprobe takes the name of a module, not the filename.
>
> you're right, that was a little mistake by my own. Now it says this:
> (I've absolutely no idea what's going wrong here)
>
> # modprobe l2cap
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.21/l2cap.o
> insmod: unresolved symbol malloc
> insmod: unresolved symbol putchar
> insmod: unresolved symbol free
> insmod: unresolved symbol perror
> insmod: unresolved symbol parser
> insmod: unresolved symbol get_proto
> insmod: unresolved symbol cmtp_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol sdp_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol avdtp_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol stderr
> insmod: unresolved symbol hidp_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol bnep_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol hcrp_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol rfcomm_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol raw_dump
> insmod: unresolved symbol _gp_disp
> insmod: unresolved symbol printf
> insmod: unresolved symbol fwrite
> modprobe: failed to load module l2cap

do you tried to load the l2cap.o from bluez-hcidump into your kernel?

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> But I think the Problem is not MIPS-specific, the question is where to
> get the missing modules like l2cap, hci_usb, bluez...
> Should they be created automaticly after compiling the BlueZ-Libs &
> -Utils? Support for them is activated in the kernel (as module).

the kernel modules are part of the Linux kernel you use on your MIPS
system. So you need a Linux kernel compiled for MIPS with activated
Bluetooth subsystem.

If you find the modules on your filesystem, check what modinfo or file
says about them.

> > Do a "modprobe hci_usb" and then check with "dmesg" what happens.
>
> # modprobe hci_usb (on target says:)
> insmod: hci_usb.o: no module by that name found
> modprobe: failed to load module hci_usb
>
> because there is no module on target, searching for it resulted nothing.
> And I think I just can't take them from the host (x86). Are there any
> precompiled modules for MIPS?

So what does "find /lib/modules/ | grep bluetooth" say?

Regards

Marcel

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Hi Marcel,

> the kernel modules are part of the Linux kernel you use on your MIPS
> system. So you need a Linux kernel compiled for MIPS with activated
> Bluetooth subsystem.

I already had this kernel, but without doing "make modules" I can look
for them a long long time... ;-)

Now I created the following modules and loaded them on target via modprobe:
-bluez
-l2cap
-hci_vhci
-hci_uart
-hci_usb

Doing hcitool scan now results: Device is not available: Success
So I guess that not all neccessary modules are loaded, right?

>>>Do a "modprobe hci_usb" and then check with "dmesg" what happens.

This results a long output, but nothing with blue* / hci* or something
similar to this in it. What should I llok for?

> So what does "find /lib/modules/ | grep bluetooth" say?

This results nothing, just the # again.

Thanks for helping again, now it's some steps fewer to the goal! :-)

Regards, Tom

2004-10-07 12:29:46

by Thomas Leidenfrost

Hi Martin,

> modprobe takes the name of a module, not the filename.

you're right, that was a little mistake by my own. Now it says this:
(I've absolutely no idea what's going wrong here)

# modprobe l2cap
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21/l2cap.o
insmod: unresolved symbol malloc
insmod: unresolved symbol putchar
insmod: unresolved symbol free
insmod: unresolved symbol perror
insmod: unresolved symbol parser
insmod: unresolved symbol get_proto
insmod: unresolved symbol cmtp_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol sdp_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol avdtp_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol stderr
insmod: unresolved symbol hidp_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol bnep_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol hcrp_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol rfcomm_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol raw_dump
insmod: unresolved symbol _gp_disp
insmod: unresolved symbol printf
insmod: unresolved symbol fwrite
modprobe: failed to load module l2cap

the linux-distribution I am using is a specific from mycable.

Regards, Thomas

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1307 +0200]:
>
>>>doing # modprobe l2cap.o in /bin results:
>

> modprobe takes the name of a module, not the filename.
>
> modprobe l2cap
>
> should work. Otherwise your kernel is not compiler correctly.
>
> What are you using? Debian?

by martin f krafft

also sprach Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> [2004.10.07.1307 +0200]:
> > doing # modprobe l2cap.o in /bin results:

modprobe takes the name of a module, not the filename.

modprobe l2cap

should work. Otherwise your kernel is not compiler correctly.

What are you using? Debian?

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: [email protected]

may the bluebird of happiness twiddle your bits.

Attachments:
(No filename) (565.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> hope I can get a little help here after some days of vainly trying.
> Currently I want to make my MIPS-System (AMD-Alchemy) working with
> Bluetooth. Support for Bluetooth was implemented as a Module in Kernel
> 2.4.21 (without any patch).

I don't have a MIPS test system, so I can't really help here. Feel free
to send me one ;)

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I don't have a MIPS test system, so I can't really help here. Feel free
> to send me one ;)

I would, but its the only one I have... ;-)
But I think the Problem is not MIPS-specific, the question is where to
get the missing modules like l2cap, hci_usb, bluez...
Should they be created automaticly after compiling the BlueZ-Libs &
-Utils? Support for them is activated in the kernel (as module).

> Do a "modprobe hci_usb" and then check with "dmesg" what happens.

# modprobe hci_usb (on target says:)
insmod: hci_usb.o: no module by that name found
modprobe: failed to load module hci_usb

because there is no module on target, searching for it resulted nothing.
And I think I just can't take them from the host (x86). Are there any
precompiled modules for MIPS?

Thanks & Regards, Tom