2004-10-13 19:42:24

by Matthias Thomae

Subject: [Bluez-users] News: Stereo BT Headset from BlueTake

Hello bluez users,

If anyone's interested in A2DP devices, I just came across this news (in
German): http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/52119

I couldn't find it at ARP, but at expansys:
http://www.expansys.de/product.asp?code=114076

This feature seems interesting:
"Multiple Pairing : Max. 5 different Bluetooth enabled devices"
Haven't seen this with any BT Headset before.

Regards
Matthias

by wim delvaux

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 16:53, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,
>
> > If it works for 'any' usb dongle (which I interpret as also older dongles
> > - i.e 1.0) is there any reason why wouldn't work for PDA devices ?
>
> I don't own a Bluetooth 1.0b USB dongle, but I still have access to some
> old PCMCIA cards and everyone of them should work, it the host stack (in
> the Linux case BlueZ) support the A2DP profile. If you find an OS which
> claims A2DP support it should work for PDAs, too.

Familiar can ;-)

by wim delvaux

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 16:53, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,
>
> > I have found a source for windows program that claims support for SBC
> > capable codecs.]

NanDub (which is a spinoff of virtual dub)
Google searching claims that nandub/virtual dub can handle SBC codecs.
But I need to know more because it seams that SBC is rather some
general classification of codecs capable of variable bitstreams

> about what program are you talking?
>
> > Providing the author agrees, I would be willing to rip out any codec you
> > need, providing you can provide me with info about WHAT you need and HOW
> > you need it.
>
> Hopefully it is in C and not in C++.

Well see. First we need to figure out EXACTLY what is needed

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Wim,

> I have found a source for windows program that claims support for SBC capable
> codecs.]

about what program are you talking?

> Providing the author agrees, I would be willing to rip out any codec you
> need, providing you can provide me with info about WHAT you need and HOW you
> need it.

Hopefully it is in C and not in C++.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Wim,

> If it works for 'any' usb dongle (which I interpret as also older dongles -
> i.e 1.0) is there any reason why wouldn't work for PDA devices ?

I don't own a Bluetooth 1.0b USB dongle, but I still have access to some
old PCMCIA cards and everyone of them should work, it the host stack (in
the Linux case BlueZ) support the A2DP profile. If you find an OS which
claims A2DP support it should work for PDAs, too.

Regards

Marcel

by wim delvaux

About SBC,

I have found a source for windows program that claims support for SBC capable
codecs.]

Providing the author agrees, I would be willing to rip out any codec you
need, providing you can provide me with info about WHAT you need and HOW you
need it.

by wim delvaux

Hi marcel,

On Thursday 14 October 2004 16:04, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> > I'm not saying bt1.2 is required to use the new headsets, but I'd want
> > to experiment with the a2dp profile for higher-fidelity audio.
>
> you don't need Bluetooth 1.2 for A2DP either.

What is the state of bt a2dp anyway ?

Linux drivers ?
USB Dongles ?
PDA ...

Wim

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,

> I must not have understood the distinction. I've seen stuff
> (http://www.ericsson.com/bluetooth/files/newsletter5_0403_lores.pdf)
> that suggests 1.2 brings with it higher-quality audio through new
> profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, GAVDP) and stuff
> (http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_1.2) that says it
> gives us better transfer heuristics (eSCO).
>
> Are the profiles purely a function of the software stack? What about eSCO?

I checked the articles above and no one said, that you need Bluetooth
1.2 for A2DP. It might be confusing, but A2DP uses the ACL data link for
high quality audio and not SCO/eSCO links like the headset/handsfree or
cordless telephony/intercom profiles.

> I'd love to hear that the 1.1 adapter hardware is not being obsoleted by
> 1.2. I don't mind having to get a new headset like the bluetake.

Everything should be backward compat as long as it based on the ACL data
links. If you like, you can use a Bluetooth 1.0b device like the old
Nokia DTL-1 Bluetooth card.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Marcel,

I must not have understood the distinction. I've seen stuff
(http://www.ericsson.com/bluetooth/files/newsletter5_0403_lores.pdf)
that suggests 1.2 brings with it higher-quality audio through new
profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, GAVDP) and stuff
(http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_1.2) that says it
gives us better transfer heuristics (eSCO).

Are the profiles purely a function of the software stack? What about eSCO?

I'd love to hear that the 1.1 adapter hardware is not being obsoleted by
1.2. I don't mind having to get a new headset like the bluetake.

Brad

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>

>>I'm not saying bt1.2 is required to use the new headsets, but I'd want
>>to experiment with the a2dp profile for higher-fidelity audio.
>

> you don't need Bluetooth 1.2 for A2DP either.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

2004-10-14 14:04:44

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>

>>I've seen this and I'm on the verge of buying... we need someone to try
>>it out with the sco hacks... but then I'd need a bt1.2 adapter to do it
>>justice.
>

> why do you need a Bluetooth 1.2 adapter?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

2004-10-14 08:14:51

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,

> I've seen this and I'm on the verge of buying... we need someone to try
> it out with the sco hacks... but then I'd need a bt1.2 adapter to do it
> justice.

why do you need a Bluetooth 1.2 adapter?

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Matthias

I've seen this and I'm on the verge of buying... we need someone to try
it out with the sco hacks... but then I'd need a bt1.2 adapter to do it
justice.

The one disappointing thing about this one is the fact that its little
base station does not have a plug to pass through the microphone audio.
That would have made it perfect for working with 2-way non-bluetooth gear.

Brad

> Hello bluez users,
>
> If anyone's interested in A2DP devices, I just came across this news (in
> German): http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/52119
>
> I couldn't find it at ARP, but at expansys:
> http://www.expansys.de/product.asp?code=114076
>
> This feature seems interesting:
> "Multiple Pairing : Max. 5 different Bluetooth enabled devices"
> Haven't seen this with any BT Headset before.
>
> Regards
> Matthias

by Brad Midgley

Matthias

> I hope so too :)
> What about your report to the snd-bt-sco mailing list:
>
> > It comes with a dongle to get stereo audio from a non-bluetooth
> > device. It works ok, but only consistently at short ranges (<1 meter).
> > It drops audio randomly or if I turn my head an unfortunate way :(

Oh yeah. I changed two things and I think both helped it:

- turned off "auto range extender" on my 2.4Ghz cordless vtech phones
- charged the headset and dongle through another charge cycle (The
headset does not have a low-power indicator... the audio just starts to
break up.)

Now I can get about 5 meters away with good audio. I can get a little
over 10 meters away if I'm using my cellphone or the computer with
voice-quality audio. I'm not sure if the difference is that's because
A2DP needs so much more reliable bandwidth or because the dongle could
use a better antenna.

BT Musicool 300 claims to get up to 20 meters in good conditions. Are
they using Class 1 adapters?

> Marcel seems to have something :)
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/audio.html

nice

Brad

by Matthias Thomae

Hello Brad,

Brad Midgley wrote:
> FYI, I bought this headset at btboutique.com. It is pretty nice. There's
> a perceptible delay in encoding, so you can't use the encoder dongle
> plugged into a tv without some annoyance with lipsync problems.
> Hopefully that would be improved with a computer doing the encoding.

I hope so too :)
What about your report to the snd-bt-sco mailing list:

> It comes with a dongle to get stereo audio from a non-bluetooth
> device. It works ok, but only consistently at short ranges (<1 meter).
> It drops audio randomly or if I turn my head an unfortunate way :(

This would be an argument for me not to buy it. Or have you found out
something meanwhile to get it working better?

> I've been able to use the current bluetooth-alsa with the headset for
> voice-quality audio. I've started reading about A2DP and would love to
> get that working. (Interesting... no cellphone or version of Pocketpc or
> windows xp has A2DP it seems. Who does have it?)

Marcel seems to have something :)
http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/audio.html

Regards.
Matthias

by Brad Midgley

Matthias

FYI, I bought this headset at btboutique.com. It is pretty nice. There's
a perceptible delay in encoding, so you can't use the encoder dongle
plugged into a tv without some annoyance with lipsync problems.
Hopefully that would be improved with a computer doing the encoding.

I've been able to use the current bluetooth-alsa with the headset for
voice-quality audio. I've started reading about A2DP and would love to
get that working. (Interesting... no cellphone or version of Pocketpc or
windows xp has A2DP it seems. Who does have it?)

The multiple pairing is interesting. If you thought pairing a headset
with no display to ONE device was confusing, this is worse :) Clicking
the connect button seems to make it connect to the most recently used
device that is NOT the dongle. It usually does the right thing but if I
get a call while listening to music through the dongle, it takes a while
(and sometimes fiddling with buttons) after the call is over for the
headset to switch back to the dongle.

Brad