2004-03-28 23:19:24

by Gene Imes

Subject: [Bluez-users] rfcomm problems

I have a D-Link dbt-120 dongle. This has been working fine with a
bluetooth GPS. However today I tried to use it and I could not connect
to the GPS.

When I plug the dbt-120 in the /dev/rfcomm0-255 are created. If I try a
'cat /dev/rfcomm0' I get cat: rfcomm0 No such device. Previously a 'cat
/dev/rfcomm0' would return everything the GPS was sending.

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,

Gene

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] rfcomm problems

Hi Gene,

> I have a D-Link dbt-120 dongle. This has been working fine with a
> bluetooth GPS. However today I tried to use it and I could not connect
> to the GPS.
>
> When I plug the dbt-120 in the /dev/rfcomm0-255 are created. If I try a
> 'cat /dev/rfcomm0' I get cat: rfcomm0 No such device. Previously a 'cat
> /dev/rfcomm0' would return everything the GPS was sending.
>
> Anyone know what is going on here?

you should check that "rfcomm -a" reports your bindung with the GPS
device. Check if hcid is runninng and run "hcidump -x" to see what is
going on. And of course find out what you have changed.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Maciej,

> I have problems with rfcomm, because when i connect two pc's I don't know how to make them to transfer files or text between tty's. One komputer uses bluez and the other one USB dongle with WinXP.
>
> Please help because the two compueters are paired and connected using rfcomm and Serial Port. But when I try to type sth on tty nothing happens.

for file transfer you must put another protocol on top of RFCOMM. For
example Obex, Kermit etc. or you can use PAN and get a TCP/IP connection
between your machines.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Andrew,

> OK: my next question is about the "Bluetooth serial port" on the phone. When I
> connect to it with:
>
> rfcomm connect 0 00:60:57:7C:31:49 2
>
> It connects, but then the phone immediately disconnects. A short time later,
> the phone connects back to my computer on seemingly the service with the
> highest channel id - in my case kbemusedsrv (from kdebluetooth - an XMMS
> control service for the phone).
>
> kbemused handily has a raw data dump option, and I can see the phone sending
> what are obviously PPP LCP packets at it.
>
> How do I get the phone to connect to something sensible - e.g. to dund. I
> found various sets of instructions on the web, but the damn thing keeps
> connecting to kbedmused.
>
> Is this connect-disconnect-reconnect behaviour normal?

welcome to the world of this mRouter crap. You can try the latest dund
from bluez-utils-2.11 package. I added some support for mRouter, but I
am not sure if it is really working.

Regards

Marcel

by Andrew de Quincey

On Wednesday 24 Nov 2004 19:50, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Hi, I'm using linux kernel 2.6.9, gentoo, bluez-utils/libs 2.10.
> > I have a Nokia 3650, with firmware 3.16.
> >
> > I've initially been just trying to connect to the phone using rfcomm...
> >
> > rfcomm connect 0 MACADDR 1
> >
> > this works - I get the "Press Ctrl-C to hangup" and /dev/rfcomm0 appears
> > (using udev BTW).
> >
> > I then try to use minicom on /dev/rfcomm0. It opens it OK, but nothing
> > happens... I mean, I send AT commands at it, but I get no response. Do I
> > have to use a certain set of serial port settings (I've tried quite a
> > few)?
>
> No. This should simply work.
>
> However some people complained about that minicom and RFCOMM TTY do not
> work very good together. The BlueZ utils packages contains test/attest.c
> and you should give it a try.
>
> > I also tried running hcidump whilst typing stuff in minicom - nothing was
> > logged.
>
> Do you started hcidump as root? You must see at least the RFCOMM channel
> setup.

Nice one! I've now got GPRS and everything working. I can confirm minicom just
does not work with it.

OK: my next question is about the "Bluetooth serial port" on the phone. When I
connect to it with:

rfcomm connect 0 00:60:57:7C:31:49 2

It connects, but then the phone immediately disconnects. A short time later,
the phone connects back to my computer on seemingly the service with the
highest channel id - in my case kbemusedsrv (from kdebluetooth - an XMMS
control service for the phone).

kbemused handily has a raw data dump option, and I can see the phone sending
what are obviously PPP LCP packets at it.

How do I get the phone to connect to something sensible - e.g. to dund. I
found various sets of instructions on the web, but the damn thing keeps
connecting to kbedmused.

Is this connect-disconnect-reconnect behaviour normal?

2004-11-24 19:50:13