2004-12-02 13:01:15

by Filipa Duarte

Subject: [Bluez-users] Understanding BlueZ source code

Hi everyone,

I need to analyze the Bluetooth code so I could
identify the most computer intensive functions. As
BlueZ is a well tested stack I decided to profile it.

For that, I need the .c files and not only the .o
files, so I cannot use the patches to include BlueZ in
the kernel. I decided to use the old bluez-kernel-2.3
package. I know that it is not the latest version, but
I think it is the only way for me to access the .c
files, am I right?

Another question is that I only need the bluetooth
stack and the drivers. That is included on the
bluez-kernel package or I also have to use
bluez-utils and bluez-lib?

And finally, if someone could give a link to the
description of the code so I could understand the
BlueZ stack, that would be great! The best I could
find was Linux Unwired, but they describe more how to
install and work with BlueZ, not really how BlueZ is
done.

Many thanks. Cheers,

Filipa Duarte

=====
--
Filipa Duarte

Computer Engineering Laboratory
Electrical Engineering Department
Delft University of Technology

Melkeweg 4
2628 CD Delft
The Netherlands

phone: +31 (0)15 278 5021
fax: +31 (0)15 278 4898

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Understanding BlueZ source code

Hi Filipa,

> I need to analyze the Bluetooth code so I could
> identify the most computer intensive functions. As
> BlueZ is a well tested stack I decided to profile it.
>
> For that, I need the .c files and not only the .o
> files, so I cannot use the patches to include BlueZ in
> the kernel. I decided to use the old bluez-kernel-2.3
> package. I know that it is not the latest version, but
> I think it is the only way for me to access the .c
> files, am I right?

you are kidding me, right?

> Another question is that I only need the bluetooth
> stack and the drivers. That is included on the
> bluez-kernel package or I also have to use
> bluez-utils and bluez-lib?

You need the Bluetooth subsystem in the Linux kernel, the HCI drivers,
the Bluetooth library and the tools. However it actually depends on what
part you wanna profile. Bluetooth is not a small piece of software.

> And finally, if someone could give a link to the
> description of the code so I could understand the
> BlueZ stack, that would be great! The best I could
> find was Linux Unwired, but they describe more how to
> install and work with BlueZ, not really how BlueZ is
> done.

Use the source, Luke ;)

Regards

Marcel