2005-01-04 11:09:32

by Jose Bernardo Silva

Subject: [Bluez-users] Dongle firmware

I've seen recently a few messages about new firmwares, is there a list of
dongles and firmwares available?
I have a Acer BT-500 and a MSI MS-6967, and I'd like to update these two.

Thanks!

--
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[email protected] | http://www.sourcemage.org

by Jose Bernardo Silva

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Dongle firmware

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:45:58 +0100, Michal Semler wrote

> This dongle looks prepared for apple firmware :)

Which means I now need to find someone with a OSX machine... :(

> Don't think about flashing MSI, there isn't firmware for it...I own
> one too :
> ((

Well, when I searched for the GenericCSR.dfu, I found Jons guides, and the
model immediately after was tested, the 6970. Too bad the 6967 doesn't work.
I'll at least try to find the old dfu that was included in the MSI drivers,
the one that let me upgrade to 16.4, I think I might still have it somewhere.

--
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[email protected] | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo

by Jose Bernardo Silva

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:45:58 +0100, Michal Semler wrote

> This dongle looks prepared for apple firmware :)

Which means I now need to find someone with a OSX machine... :(

> Don't think about flashing MSI, there isn't firmware for it...I own
> one too :
> ((

Well, when I searched for the GenericCSR.dfu, I found Jons guides, and the
model immediately after was tested, the 6970. Too bad the 6967 doesn't work.
I'll at least try to find the old dfu that was included in the MSI drivers,
the one that let me upgrade to 16.4, I think I might still have it somewhere.

--
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[email protected] | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo

by CIJOML

Dne =FAt 4. ledna 2005 22:16 Jose Bernardo Silva napsal(a):
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:21:37 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote
>
> > Hi Jose,
> >
> > > I've seen recently a few messages about new firmwares, is there a list
> > > of dongles and firmwares available?
> > > I have a Acer BT-500 and a MSI MS-6967, and I'd like to update these
> > > two.
> >
> > you should actually ask the vendor of these dongles for updates. However
> > the ACER is a BlueCore01b and can't be updated with the
> > GenericCSR.dfu firmware file and for the MSI I don't know. The
> > general rule at the moment is if "hciconfig hci0 revision" don't
> > show BlueCore02 and lsusb don't show it as a "Cambridge Silicion
> > Radio". You shouldn't even try to update it.
>
> Marcel,
>
> My BT-500 shows in lsusb as " ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.",
> and "hciconfig hci0 revision shows it as a BlueCore02 as follows:
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:60:57:32:96:0E ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 14.7
> Chip version: BlueCore02 (ES2)
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: PCM
>
> Does this mean I can update it? If so, where can I get that GenericCSR.dfu
> firmware, and what can I use to update?

This dongle looks prepared for apple firmware :)

> As for the MSI, the lsusb output isn't very promising ("ID 0db0:1967"),
> even thoguh the output of hciconfig is similar:
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:10:DC:AF:E1:13 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 16.4
> Chip version: BlueCore02
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI

Don't think about flashing MSI, there isn't firmware for it...I own one too=
:
((

Michal

by Jose Bernardo Silva

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:21:37 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote
> Hi Jose,
>
> > I've seen recently a few messages about new firmwares, is there a list of
> > dongles and firmwares available?
> > I have a Acer BT-500 and a MSI MS-6967, and I'd like to update these two.
>
> you should actually ask the vendor of these dongles for updates. However
> the ACER is a BlueCore01b and can't be updated with the
> GenericCSR.dfu firmware file and for the MSI I don't know. The
> general rule at the moment is if "hciconfig hci0 revision" don't
> show BlueCore02 and lsusb don't show it as a "Cambridge Silicion
> Radio". You shouldn't even try to update it.

Marcel,

My BT-500 shows in lsusb as " ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.", and
"hciconfig hci0 revision shows it as a BlueCore02 as follows:
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:60:57:32:96:0E ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 14.7
Chip version: BlueCore02 (ES2)
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: PCM

Does this mean I can update it? If so, where can I get that GenericCSR.dfu
firmware, and what can I use to update?

As for the MSI, the lsusb output isn't very promising ("ID 0db0:1967"), even
thoguh the output of hciconfig is similar:
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:10:DC:AF:E1:13 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 16.4
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

--
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[email protected] | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo

by CIJOML

I prepare this site with howto backup, upgrade and send me firmware from=20
dongles using Marcel's btdfu and Widcomm stack's utility to share them with=
=20
others.

It will be up in mid-February starting with about 20 firmwares from differe=
nt=20
dongles I have access for now.

So people SEND ME YOUR'S FIRMWARES!

Still hope this doesn't violate any licence I know...

It is better to have list with info this dongle work with this this and thi=
s=20
firmware to prevent destroyed devices

Michal

Dne =FAt 4. ledna 2005 12:09 Jose Bernardo Silva napsal(a):
> I've seen recently a few messages about new firmwares, is there a list of
> dongles and firmwares available?
> I have a Acer BT-500 and a MSI MS-6967, and I'd like to update these two.
>
> Thanks!

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jose,

> I've seen recently a few messages about new firmwares, is there a list of
> dongles and firmwares available?
> I have a Acer BT-500 and a MSI MS-6967, and I'd like to update these two.

you should actually ask the vendor of these dongles for updates. However
the ACER is a BlueCore01b and can't be updated with the GenericCSR.dfu
firmware file and for the MSI I don't know. The general rule at the
moment is if "hciconfig hci0 revision" don't show BlueCore02 and lsusb
don't show it as a "Cambridge Silicion Radio". You shouldn't even try to
update it.

Regards

Marcel