2005-01-16 17:46:16

by Francesco Bochicchio

Subject: [Bluez-users] Microsoft Bluethooth "Elite" Keyboard & Mouse

Hi all,

I have a Microsft Bluetooth "Elite" keyboard and optical mouse,
and I'm trying to make it work with Linux.

I have googled and read stuff, but currently I'm stucked.

When I plug the USB Dongle in an USB port I get the following kernel
messages (among others):

Jan 15 13:48:22 superlap kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using address 8
Jan 15 13:48:23 superlap kernel: input: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [045e:00bf] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.2
Jan 15 13:48:24 superlap kernel: usb 1-2.3: new full speed USB device using address 9
Jan 15 13:48:25 superlap kernel: input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [045e:00be] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.3

Also, hotplug loads a bunch of modules, including :

usbmouse
joydev
usbkbd
usbhid
hci_usb
rfcomm
l2cap
bluetooth

Finally, I get the message:

Jan 15 13:48:31 superlap hcid[2744]: Can't init device hci0. Connection timed out(110)

The device hci0 is created but not opeerative:

superlap:/home/fb# hciconfig
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
DOWN
RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
TX bytes:3 acl:0 sco:0 commands:1 errors:0

and if I try to bring it up:

superlap:/home/fb# hciconfig hci0 up
Can't init device hci0. Connection timed out(110)

I also tried hcidump, but it hangs after this output:

superlap:/home/fb# hcidump -x
HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.12
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff

I tried all this with and without batteries inserted (no change).
I also tried pressing the litte button on the back while doing
"hciconfig hci0 up" and pressing keys while doing "hcidump -x".

The keyboard and mouse works with Windows XP SP2, so the problem
is not the hardware.

My questions:

1. Does this device works with Linux+blueZ ? (I know that someone had
success with other models of MS BT keyboards).

2. Do I have to patch the kernel? (actually I have a Kernel 2.6.9
pre-compiled (Debian Unstable distro) for AMD k7).

3. What else can I try?

Thanks for any hint.

Ciao
----
FB

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Microsoft Bluethooth "Elite" Keyboard & Mouse - UPDATE: works with stock 2.6.10

Hi Francesco,

> I tried with plain 2.6.10 (from debian kernel-source package, without any
> patch other than Debian's) and it seems to work fine with my BT keyboard & mouse. Only
> needed an "hidd --connect" after inserting the dongle (the one coming with
> the keyboard).
> It might be that in the future I will experience the problems hinted by
> Marcel, but for now I am happy :-).
>
> I'm trying now to make the dongle work with my SonyEricsson T610; for now the
> phone it is discovered (and is capable to discover the PC), but I'm not
> yet succeeded to use OpenObex tools with the bluetooth connection.
> But that is another story.
>
> Question: what would be the advantage now of applying the 2.6.10-mh1 patch
> to sthe standard kernel sources?

you will get the latest Bluetooth subsystem that also includes some
changes to the hidp kernel module.

Regards

Marcel

by Francesco Bochicchio

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 08:37:33PM +0100, Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:01:46PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Michal,
> >
> > > You should use 2.6.10-mh1 and latest firmware for Digianswer dongle (adapter
> > > use it I think)
> >
> > using the 2.6.10-mh1 is a good idea, but it is a Broadcom dongle with
> > HID proxy and this don't need any extra firmware. However since the
> > other Broadcom HID proxy that I have does the switch into HCI mode when
> > you send a HCI_Reset (CSR HID Proxy needs an extra tool btw), the one
> > from Microsoft may need some extra magic to fully work without problems.
>
> Ok. Thanks. I will try out 2.6.10-mh1 anyway.

Hi all,

just un update for the records.

I tried with plain 2.6.10 (from debian kernel-source package, without any
patch other than Debian's) and it seems to work fine with my BT keyboard & mouse. Only
needed an "hidd --connect" after inserting the dongle (the one coming with
the keyboard).
It might be that in the future I will experience the problems hinted by
Marcel, but for now I am happy :-).

I'm trying now to make the dongle work with my SonyEricsson T610; for now the
phone it is discovered (and is capable to discover the PC), but I'm not
yet succeeded to use OpenObex tools with the bluetooth connection.
But that is another story.

Question: what would be the advantage now of applying the 2.6.10-mh1 patch
to sthe standard kernel sources?

Ciao
-----
FB

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Francesco,

> BTW, just out of curiosity: would the MS Keyboard works with another Bluetooth USB dongle?

you can use any dongle you like. And as Michal said, you should prefer a
CSR one with at least HCI 16.4 firmware. Will make your life a lot more
easier.

> > I need someone to donate one of these, because there is no way to buy
> > only the dongle and I am not going to buy another Bluetooth keyboard. I
> > have enough.
>
> I could consider swapping mine with one that already works with Linux :-)

I have a lot of dongles at home, but I can't give any of them away. I
need them for testing when I change specific stuff.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Dne ne 16. ledna 2005 20:37 Francesco Bochicchio napsal(a):
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:01:46PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Michal,
> >
> > > You should use 2.6.10-mh1 and latest firmware for Digianswer dongle
> > > (adapter use it I think)
> >
> > using the 2.6.10-mh1 is a good idea, but it is a Broadcom dongle with
> > HID proxy and this don't need any extra firmware. However since the
> > other Broadcom HID proxy that I have does the switch into HCI mode when
> > you send a HCI_Reset (CSR HID Proxy needs an extra tool btw), the one
> > from Microsoft may need some extra magic to fully work without problems.
>
> Ok. Thanks. I will try out 2.6.10-mh1 anyway.
>

> BTW, just out of curiosity: would the MS Keyboard works with another
> Bluetooth USB dongle?

YES, You should prefer CSR based dongles!

> > I need someone to donate one of these, because there is no way to buy
> > only the dongle and I am not going to buy another Bluetooth keyboard. I
> > have enough.
>
> I could consider swapping mine with one that already works with Linux :-)
>

> Ciao
> -----
> FB

S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by Francesco Bochicchio

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:01:46PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> > You should use 2.6.10-mh1 and latest firmware for Digianswer dongle (adapter
> > use it I think)
>
> using the 2.6.10-mh1 is a good idea, but it is a Broadcom dongle with
> HID proxy and this don't need any extra firmware. However since the
> other Broadcom HID proxy that I have does the switch into HCI mode when
> you send a HCI_Reset (CSR HID Proxy needs an extra tool btw), the one
> from Microsoft may need some extra magic to fully work without problems.

Ok. Thanks. I will try out 2.6.10-mh1 anyway.

BTW, just out of curiosity: would the MS Keyboard works with another Bluetooth USB dongle?

> I need someone to donate one of these, because there is no way to buy
> only the dongle and I am not going to buy another Bluetooth keyboard. I
> have enough.

I could consider swapping mine with one that already works with Linux :-)

Ciao
-----
FB

by CIJOML

So Francesco send your dongle to Marcel for a while and he will fix it :)

Michal

Dne ne 16. ledna 2005 19:01 Marcel Holtmann napsal(a):
> Hi Michal,
>
> > You should use 2.6.10-mh1 and latest firmware for Digianswer dongle
> > (adapter use it I think)
>
> using the 2.6.10-mh1 is a good idea, but it is a Broadcom dongle with
> HID proxy and this don't need any extra firmware. However since the
> other Broadcom HID proxy that I have does the switch into HCI mode when
> you send a HCI_Reset (CSR HID Proxy needs an extra tool btw), the one
> from Microsoft may need some extra magic to fully work without problems.
> I need someone to donate one of these, because there is no way to buy
> only the dongle and I am not going to buy another Bluetooth keyboard. I
> have enough.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> You should use 2.6.10-mh1 and latest firmware for Digianswer dongle (adapter
> use it I think)

using the 2.6.10-mh1 is a good idea, but it is a Broadcom dongle with
HID proxy and this don't need any extra firmware. However since the
other Broadcom HID proxy that I have does the switch into HCI mode when
you send a HCI_Reset (CSR HID Proxy needs an extra tool btw), the one
from Microsoft may need some extra magic to fully work without problems.
I need someone to donate one of these, because there is no way to buy
only the dongle and I am not going to buy another Bluetooth keyboard. I
have enough.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Hi,

Dne ne 16. ledna 2005 18:46 Francesco Bochicchio napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Microsft Bluetooth "Elite" keyboard and optical mouse,
> and I'm trying to make it work with Linux.
>
> I have googled and read stuff, but currently I'm stucked.
>
> When I plug the USB Dongle in an USB port I get the following kernel
> messages (among others):
>

> Jan 15 13:48:22 superlap kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using
> address 8 Jan 15 13:48:23 superlap kernel: input: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard
> [045e:00bf] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.2 Jan 15 13:48:24 superlap kernel: usb
> 1-2.3: new full speed USB device using address 9 Jan 15 13:48:25 superlap
> kernel: input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [045e:00be] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2.3
>
> Also, hotplug loads a bunch of modules, including :
>
> usbmouse
> joydev
> usbkbd
> usbhid
> hci_usb
> rfcomm
> l2cap
> bluetooth
>
> Finally, I get the message:
>
> Jan 15 13:48:31 superlap hcid[2744]: Can't init device hci0. Connection
> timed out(110)
>

> The device hci0 is created but not opeerative:
>
> superlap:/home/fb# hciconfig
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
> DOWN
> RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
> TX bytes:3 acl:0 sco:0 commands:1 errors:0
>
> and if I try to bring it up:
>
> superlap:/home/fb# hciconfig hci0 up
> Can't init device hci0. Connection timed out(110)
>

> I also tried hcidump, but it hangs after this output:
>
> superlap:/home/fb# hcidump -x
> HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.12
> device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
>
> I tried all this with and without batteries inserted (no change).
> I also tried pressing the litte button on the back while doing
> "hciconfig hci0 up" and pressing keys while doing "hcidump -x".
>
> The keyboard and mouse works with Windows XP SP2, so the problem
> is not the hardware.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Does this device works with Linux+blueZ ? (I know that someone had
> success with other models of MS BT keyboards).
>
> 2. Do I have to patch the kernel? (actually I have a Kernel 2.6.9
> pre-compiled (Debian Unstable distro) for AMD k7).
>
> 3. What else can I try?
>

> Thanks for any hint.
>
> Ciao
> ----