2005-01-28 21:22:06

by Jesse Guardiani

Subject: [Bluez-users] Anycom USB-240 & firmware

Hello,

I recently bought an Anycom USB-240. It ships
with BT 1.1 firmware, as depicted below, but
it *should* be BT 1.2 capable hardware.

% hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0B:0D:34:1F:E0 ACL MTU: 120:20 SCO MTU: 64:0
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:254 acl:0 sco:0 events:43 errors:0
TX bytes:416 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x100100
Service Classes: Object Transfer
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x0 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x757
Manufacturer: Silicon Wave (11)

My interest in Bluetooth is primarily tied to
audio right now. I've been doing a lot of work
with SIP phones lately so I've ordered a BT 1.2
Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset to play with.
It should arrive in a week or two.

Anyway, the Logitech headset is BT 1.2 capable
so I'd like to upgrade my USB-240 firmware to
1.2 also (freq hopping to avoid my 802.11b nets,
etc...), but this post on the Anycom website
claims that the USB-240's headset and handsfree
profiles don't work well under Linux with BT
1.2 firmware:
http://tinyurl.com/5pqnm

So in the interest of NOT frying my shiny new
USB-240, does anyone on this list currently use
a USB-240 with a headset or handsfree profile
device? Which firmware do you use?

Also, if I *do* decide to upgrade the adapter's
firmware, am I likely to have better luck with
Anycom's firmware via a Win32 install? Or with
Bluez supplied firmware? Does the Bluez firmware
even work with my Silicon Wave chipset?

TIA!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,

by CIJOML

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Anycom USB-240 & firmware

This is 1.1 dongle :) Only firmware is new. I didn't upgrade it. Contact
author of article for info.

Michal

Dne so 29. ledna 2005 14:58 Marcel Holtmann napsal(a):
> Hi Michal,
>
> > these dongles can really be updated to 1.2 at least via Widcomm stack
> >
> > http://notebooky.idnes.cz/recenze/anycomblueusb120050118.html
> >
> > Site is in czech, but pictures says more then thousand words :D
>
> what program from the CD or Internet is used to update them? A guy at
> Anycom told me that their Bluetooth 1.2 dongles are ROM only. Maybe the
> older ones had a flash chip inside.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by Marcel Holtmann

Dne so 29. ledna 2005 02:15 Marcel Holtmann napsal(a):
> Hi Jesse,
>
> > I recently bought an Anycom USB-240. It ships
> > with BT 1.1 firmware, as depicted below, but
> > it *should* be BT 1.2 capable hardware.
> >
> > % hciconfig -a
> > hci0: Type: USB
> > BD Address: 00:0B:0D:34:1F:E0 ACL MTU: 120:20 SCO MTU: 64:0
> > UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> > RX bytes:254 acl:0 sco:0 events:43 errors:0
> > TX bytes:416 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0
> > Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> > Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> > Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> > Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> > Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
> > Class: 0x100100
> > Service Classes: Object Transfer
> > Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> > HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x0 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver:
> > 0x757 Manufacturer: Silicon Wave (11)
> >
> > My interest in Bluetooth is primarily tied to
> > audio right now. I've been doing a lot of work
> > with SIP phones lately so I've ordered a BT 1.2
> > Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset to play with.
> > It should arrive in a week or two.
> >
> > Anyway, the Logitech headset is BT 1.2 capable
> > so I'd like to upgrade my USB-240 firmware to
> > 1.2 also (freq hopping to avoid my 802.11b nets,
> > etc...), but this post on the Anycom website
> > claims that the USB-240's headset and handsfree
> > profiles don't work well under Linux with BT
> > 1.2 firmware:
> > http://tinyurl.com/5pqnm
> >
> > So in the interest of NOT frying my shiny new
> > USB-240, does anyone on this list currently use
> > a USB-240 with a headset or handsfree profile
> > device? Which firmware do you use?
>
> if you wanna play with audio then you should better buy a dongle with a
> CSR chip.
>
> > Also, if I *do* decide to upgrade the adapter's
> > firmware, am I likely to have better luck with
> > Anycom's firmware via a Win32 install? Or with
> > Bluez supplied firmware? Does the Bluez firmware
> > even work with my Silicon Wave chipset?
>
> As far as I know these Silicon Wave chips are ROM only version and so
> you can't update the firmware. However I don't even know of any firmware
> updates for Silicon Wave.

Hi Marcel,