2005-02-22 09:25:38

by Filipa Duarte

Subject: [Bluez-users] Running L2CAP & HCI layers without OS

Hello,

It seams that my question about the l2cap and hci
layers implemented in User Space is not so stupid
after all! ;)

Could anyone give me directions on how to run these
layers without OS? One solution, I think, would be to
change the l2cap and the hci files in order on not to
have any OS call (that was actually what I as doing,
which is quite a heavy work!). But it seams that there
is an easy way (thanks Marcel, for pointing that
out!).

Regards,

Filipa

>Hi Filipa,
>
> > By the way, does anybody has the l2cap and hci > >
layers
> > implemented im User Space? I need to have those >
>layers
> > running without OS...
>
> Actually it is possible to do this, but you are on >
the wrong mailing
> list for this question ;)
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Filipa,

> > There is no easy way and actually I don't see any
> > need for it. Feel free
> > to start another Bluetooth stack, but this mailing
> > list is about the
> > BlueZ and Linux and not any other operating system.
>
> I really would like to be able to develop a new
> protocol stack... but unfortunately my knowledge of
> linux or bluetooth is not enough for that ;))
>
> So, from your answer I suppose the only way of having
> the l2cap and hci layers running without OS is doing
> what I am doing (change the code of these layers to
> avoid the system calls), right?

BlueZ is tightly bounded to the Linux kernel and thus I don't think that
it is a good idea what you are trying to do. However as long as you
respect its licence, feel free to do whatever you wanna do, but don't
expect any help from this mailing list.

Regards

Marcel

by Filipa Duarte

Hi Marcel,

--- Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Filipa,
>
> > It seams that my question about the l2cap and hci
> > layers implemented in User Space is not so stupid
> > after all! ;)
>
> you should spent some time to think about hardware
> abstraction and the
> right interface to L2CAP, RFCOMM etc. and then this
> looks stupid again.
> Actually the OpenBT Bluetooth stack had exactly
> these two problems.

You are right, I did not explain why I want to run
l2cap and hci layers without OS...

In my research I need to implement the Bluetooth
protocol in reconfigure hardware (FPGA, ASIC, etc). To
do this I need to run the protocol stack without OS.

> > Could anyone give me directions on how to run
> these
> > layers without OS? One solution, I think, would be
> > change the l2cap and the hci files in order on not
> > have any OS call (that was actually what I as
> doing,
> > which is quite a heavy work!). But it seams that
> there
> > is an easy way (thanks Marcel, for pointing that
> > out!).
>
> There is no easy way and actually I don't see any
> need for it. Feel free
> to start another Bluetooth stack, but this mailing
> list is about the
> BlueZ and Linux and not any other operating system.

I really would like to be able to develop a new
protocol stack... but unfortunately my knowledge of
linux or bluetooth is not enough for that ;))

So, from your answer I suppose the only way of having
the l2cap and hci layers running without OS is doing
what I am doing (change the code of these layers to
avoid the system calls), right?

Regards,

Filipa

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!