2005-03-18 19:53:02

by Mattias Arrelid

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] DiNovo and bluetooth-hub functionality

Well, I't seems the bluetooth services is up and running since I can access my computer through the mobile (able to send pictures to it).

The main problem is still that my keyboard, mouse and mediapad are unusable until I log in, start a terminal and run "hidd --search". And as if it wasn't enough; this doesn't find any devices until i press the connect-buttons on each of them (the mouse, the keyboard and the mediapad). Then they are found by "hidd --search".

Is there a way to solve this you think?

> Hi Marcel,
>
> Thanks for your fast reply.
>
> Now, I have logged in as root instead and tried to run all those
> commands. Still, everything works, but I sure would like to find out
> where that init script is. Is there a way I can do find it
> manually? And
> then install it manually?
>
> I'm going to try to remove all Bluez-stuff with apt-get as root, and
> then reinstalling them again, just to make sure that the script wasn't
> included from the beginning (maybe it couldn't be created?).
>
> Thanks in advance / Mattias
>
> > Hi Mattias,
> >
> > > Let me start with saying that I only have been on a Linux
> system for
> > > about 2 days, so please forgive me if I have made clumpsy
> assumptions or
> > > similar.
> > >
> > > However, I'm running Ubuntu Linux 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog). I also
> got a
> > > DiNovo set from Logitech that has been running fine since
> install. Now
> > > I'd like to connect my phone to the computer for file
> exchange/sync and
> > > it doesn't seem to be anything else to do than manually
> adjusting things
> > > to get everything up and running.
> > >
> > > I've installed all BlueZ-packages for Ubuntu using apt-get
> (graphical> > version).
> > >
> > > I can now, after having logged in at my computer using an extra
> keyboard> > (connected on ps/2) do the following commands (sudo
> because of my using
> > > of Ubuntu, won't have priviligies else);
> > >
> > > 1. sudo hid2hci
> > > 2. hcid
> > > 3. sdpd
> > > 4. hidd --server
> > > 5. sudo hidd --search
> >
> > you should run all of them as root. The "hidd --search" should
> btw only
> > be needed once.
> >
> > > Now, my mouse, keyboard and mediapad gets connected and
> everything works
> > > ok. My problem is that I would like this to be done
> automatically when I
> > > start up my computer (in other words; start up bluetooth
> functionality> > and let me use my bluetooth devices). Maybe the
> above can be done in
> > > another way, I'm really a newbie trying to get it all together.
> It would
> > > also be nice if I in Nautilus could view my bluetooth
> neighborhood using
> > > "bluetooth:///" or something.
> >
> > You should talk to the Ubuntu package maintainer of the bluez-utils
> > package, because it includes a boot script for this task.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

(No filename) (3.77 kB)
matar390.vcf (139.00 B)
Card for Mattias Arrelid

by Mattias Arrelid

Hi again,

> check /etc/default/bluez-utils and look at HIDD_ENABLED. If Ubuntu uses
> the Debian BlueZ packages then this might work.

Well, enabling it makes the whole process much easier. Now it works
perfectly.

Many many warm thanks for your kindness and knowledge.

/ Mattias

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] A2DP support, when?

Manuel

See bluetooth-alsa.sf.net

The HP headset seems to have trouble with what we've done so far for
a2dp. Guylhem Aznar is looking into it.

Try it out.

Brad

> I was wondering how far the A2DP / alsa support is? I have a HP A2DP headset
> and would love to be able to use that with my PC rather than just with my
> PDA... is simple SCO audio streaming possible yet? And what would I need to
> test that?
>
> Manuel
>

> On Friday 18 March 2005 03:50 pm, Mattias Arrelid wrote:
>
>>Hi again,
>>

>>>Hi Mattias,

>>>you need a running "hidd --server". They will reconnect to this server
>>>after a keypress.
>>
>>Well, how can I get that? Remember that I've only been on a Linux-system
>>for two days now, and I really don't know that much =)
>>
>>I actually tried starting up the computer, logging into GNOME and then
>>directly logging of. Then the system says "shutting down Bluetooth
>>services" so they must indeed be running.
>>
>>But... when I disconnect my spare keyboard and start up the computer
>>again, and Gnome shows the login screen, the is NO result from the
>>diNovo keyboard / mouse / mediapad. Tried pushing the connect buttons on
>>both them AND the hub - won't do it.
>>
>>Is it really possible to get the system to recognize my keyboard at
>>startup. Has anyone had success with that?
>>
>>I'd tried running "hidd --server" directly after logging in, but that
>>won't do it. I still have to press the connect buttons, do "hidd
>>--search" or alternatively "hidd --connect ADRESS" for each device.
>>
>>I didn't think it would be this hard... =/
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks again / Mattias

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mattias,

> > you need a running "hidd --server". They will reconnect to this server
> > after a keypress.
>
> Well, how can I get that? Remember that I've only been on a Linux-system
> for two days now, and I really don't know that much =)
>
> I actually tried starting up the computer, logging into GNOME and then
> directly logging of. Then the system says "shutting down Bluetooth
> services" so they must indeed be running.
>
> But... when I disconnect my spare keyboard and start up the computer
> again, and Gnome shows the login screen, the is NO result from the
> diNovo keyboard / mouse / mediapad. Tried pushing the connect buttons on
> both them AND the hub - won't do it.
>
> Is it really possible to get the system to recognize my keyboard at
> startup. Has anyone had success with that?
>
> I'd tried running "hidd --server" directly after logging in, but that
> won't do it. I still have to press the connect buttons, do "hidd
> --search" or alternatively "hidd --connect ADRESS" for each device.
>
> I didn't think it would be this hard... =/

check /etc/default/bluez-utils and look at HIDD_ENABLED. If Ubuntu uses
the Debian BlueZ packages then this might work.

Regards

Marcel

by Manuel Harnisch

Subject: [Bluez-users] A2DP support, when?

Hi,

I was wondering how far the A2DP / alsa support is? I have a HP A2DP headset
and would love to be able to use that with my PC rather than just with my
PDA... is simple SCO audio streaming possible yet? And what would I need to
test that?

Manuel

On Friday 18 March 2005 03:50 pm, Mattias Arrelid wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> > Hi Mattias,
> >
> > > Well, I't seems the bluetooth services is up and running since I can
> > > access my computer through the mobile (able to send pictures to it).
> > >
> > > The main problem is still that my keyboard, mouse and mediapad are
> > > unusable until I log in, start a terminal and run "hidd --search". And
> > > as if it wasn't enough; this doesn't find any devices until i press the
> > > connect-buttons on each of them (the mouse, the keyboard and the
> > > mediapad). Then they are found by "hidd --search".
> >
> > you need a running "hidd --server". They will reconnect to this server
> > after a keypress.
>
> Well, how can I get that? Remember that I've only been on a Linux-system
> for two days now, and I really don't know that much =)
>
> I actually tried starting up the computer, logging into GNOME and then
> directly logging of. Then the system says "shutting down Bluetooth
> services" so they must indeed be running.
>
> But... when I disconnect my spare keyboard and start up the computer
> again, and Gnome shows the login screen, the is NO result from the
> diNovo keyboard / mouse / mediapad. Tried pushing the connect buttons on
> both them AND the hub - won't do it.
>
> Is it really possible to get the system to recognize my keyboard at
> startup. Has anyone had success with that?
>
> I'd tried running "hidd --server" directly after logging in, but that
> won't do it. I still have to press the connect buttons, do "hidd
> --search" or alternatively "hidd --connect ADRESS" for each device.
>
> I didn't think it would be this hard... =/
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks again / Mattias

Manuel Harnisch, IntellinetServices
Systems Administrator &