2005-07-27 17:11:07

by andy thomas

Subject: [Bluez-users] Kernel module for PCMCIA/CF Bluetooth cards with CSR chipset

I'm having a problem finding support in BlueZ for a Socket Communications CF+
Bluetooth card, which is a later version using the CSR chipset and not
the Nokia DTL-1 chipset as used in earlier versions of the same card. The
Nokia-based card is supported in BlueZ using the dtl1_cs.o module but the
CSR-based card is not. Does anyone know if there are any plans to support
CSR-based PCMCIA/CF cards?

If not, I will go and buy a USB Bluetooth dongle instead as these seem to
better supported, and the external antenna possibly works better too. The only
reason I would like to use the Socket CF card is because I already have
one in my Jornada PDA (runs Windows CE) and sharing the Bluetooth device
between PDA and Linux laptop means less to carry around.

One thing puzzles me - back in March this year, Erwin Authried wrote in this
mailing list that PCMCIA/CF UARTs are register-compatible emulations of a
standard UART (see original mail below). Does this mean that I could be using
just the serial_cs.o kernel module for the Socket CF+ card? All I
want to use Bluetooth for at this stage is to interface my laptop to a
Bluetooth phone so I can connect to the 'Net via GPRS or PPP/dial-up while
I'm away from base (mainly to ssh into remote servers, etc). I do this already
from my PDA but a laptop would be nicer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Andy

Original archive posting follows:

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 06:37, Mathias Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got it working by doing a little change in the serial driver
> (8250.c). I tested it with 2.6.11 but I think it could work for any 2.6
> kernel.
>
> Marcel Holtmann schrieb:
> > I am not an serial card expert. This is a problem in the serial
> > subsystem and a BlueZ problem.
>
> That proved to be true.
>
> Marcel: One thing I discovered while debugging this: the hci_uart driver
> seems to initialize the actual UART with only 230400 baud. Is this
> really the case or are those UARTs clocked at nonstandard (higher)
> frequencies so that this setting does result in a higher real baud rate?

I can"t say for sure if that applies to your specific CF card, but
usually PCMCIA/CF uarts are just register-compatible emulations of a
standard uart, and the clockrate doesn"t matter at all. The actual data
rate can be very high.

Regards,
Erwin

Andy Thomas,
Time Domain Systems

Tel: +44 (0)7866 556626
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.time-domain.co.uk

by Wolfgang Mües

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 19:11, andy thomas wrote:
> One thing puzzles me - back in March this year, Erwin Authried wrote
> in this mailing list that PCMCIA/CF UARTs are register-compatible
> emulations of a standard UART (see original mail below). Does this
> mean that I could be using just the serial_cs.o kernel module for the
> Socket CF+ card?

Yes. I do it on my Zaurus.

Best regards

Wolfgang