2004-03-26 09:23:26

by Yannick Djoumbou Feunang

Subject: [Bluez-users] Documentation

Dear users,

> I'm working on a Bluetooth project . I installed openobex /openobexapps
> on my Pc and it works.The PC makes connection with the handy and send
> files.But now i want to understand how it does.
> I 've the sdp_lib.h/sdptool.c and then hci_lib.h/hcitool.c but still
> don't really undertand it.
> Do you have some documentation about the functions(e.g hci_inquiry(),
> sdp_data_alloc(),..) used in those tool-files and what the really do
> ?Wich parameters they exactly take and give?
> It would be a great help for me.
>
> I also need a documentation about obexftp and obex synchronization.
> I installed teh obexftp files.but i don't really know how to use it for
> file management from my pc to my Bluetooth-handy and vice-versa.
>
> Until today i can send vcards, sms and pictures to my bluetoot_handy but
> it does't walk vice versa-The handy can't make a connection with the PC
> although it automatically registered the Bluetooth-Adapter adress of
> the PC.Can you tell me PLeaaaaaaassseeeee how i can master that.
>
> I hope you can help me and will be very happy to become this help.
>
> Yours sincerely

by Paul Webster

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Documentation

Grrr. Delay on the documentation thing. spent the weekend wondering
why I had no love from my bluetooth module with the fresh kernel I'd
compiled. Left it, slept, did other stuff and looked again last night
to find "< > HCI USB driver". Fixed it and was back to getting my
BD_ADDR 00:00:00:00:00:00:00

This weekend......

On 9/15/05, Paul Webster <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The problem is that we all simply lack the time to fill all these gaps.=
And
> > perhaps Marcel still hopes that someone else will help out with writing=
good
> > user documentation. It's certainly his job to document command line
> > parameters, but writing and maintaining a good official introduction an=
> > HOWTOs for Bluetooth/BlueZ is a lot of work and it can be done by someo=
ne who
> > is not a programmer. I would go as far as saying that this kind of
> > documentation *should not* be written but only checked by the developer=
s.
> > Maybe an official bluez wiki would be the most efficient way to make pe=
ople
> > contribute documentation.
>
> I'm planning to do a bluez install on a laptop and desktop machine
> this weekend. Since both run LFS, it will be a fairly involved
> "bootscripts and all" install. I was planning on writing a LFS hint
> for the process, but if there was a bluez-wiki available, I'd gladly
> contribute my experiences.
>
> Paul W

by Stefan Behlert

Moin,

On Sep 13, 05 19:27:01 +0200, Reinier Coetzer wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently downloaded and compiled Bluez on my linux ( Suse 9.3 ). I'm really
> struggling to work with bluez 'cause I can't seem to find the right
> documentation. I tried the FAQ and documentation section and even some google
> but it's not what I'm looking for. I found the functions 'hcitool' and 'hcidump'
> but all that I figured out at this moment is how to scan for bluetooth devices
> (which works) from my linux. My ultimate goal is to be able to hack into my
> bluetooth phone and get all the information from my phone onto my pc. I know
> this must be rather trivial for you guys but some help would really be appreciated!
> Thanks

The question is, what do you want to do?
"get all the information ... onto my pc" is a little bit vague. Do you
want to put your adressbook etc. into your kontact/evolution/whatever? Do
you just want to save your pictures and sounds? Or do you only want to see
the vendor-specific data?
All needs a little different approach :)

Stefan
--
Stefan Behlert

by Paul Webster

> The problem is that we all simply lack the time to fill all these gaps. A=
nd
> perhaps Marcel still hopes that someone else will help out with writing g=
ood
> user documentation. It's certainly his job to document command line
> parameters, but writing and maintaining a good official introduction and
> HOWTOs for Bluetooth/BlueZ is a lot of work and it can be done by someone=
who
> is not a programmer. I would go as far as saying that this kind of
> documentation *should not* be written but only checked by the developers.
> Maybe an official bluez wiki would be the most efficient way to make peop=
le
> contribute documentation.

I'm planning to do a bluez install on a laptop and desktop machine
this weekend. Since both run LFS, it will be a fairly involved
"bootscripts and all" install. I was planning on writing a LFS hint
for the process, but if there was a bluez-wiki available, I'd gladly
contribute my experiences.

Paul W

by Fred Schaettgen

On Thursday, 15. September 2005 00:02, Michael.S.G. wrote:
> Im in the same boat. With two problems that SHOULD be relatively easy to
> locate info on resloving.
> These are pretty common things, Id take a guess.
> 1) Using KDE bluez interface, I can connect to nokia, But sending
> files constantly "STALLS"

In that case it's probably the wrong mailinglist ;)
Just follow the link in the about-box of kbluetoothd
(hint: http://kde-bluetooth.sf.net)

> Encryption & Auth is turned off. (Who know's if is't supposed
> to be..... Lack of info again).

That's alright.

> *** I'd rather be using gnome, But KDE has GUI interface is
> already built.......Is there a WORKING gnome equal?
> 2) Getting a simple headset/dongle to work with Bluez. Mabie it's
> does work, But I can't compile BTSCO drivers.
>
> Im moderatly competant in using linux, But found good, Concise Bluez
> information/help to be sadly lacking - To the
> extent that average users just don't know how to get it going!
>
> I will however be investigating to link
> (http://openobex.sourceforge.net/applications.html) that Jon Kristian
> was thoughtful enough to post.

The obex push tools of kdebluetooth use openobex so far, but the obex ioslave
(obex:/-urls) doesn't. If your phone supports obex file transfer, then please
try uploading a file that way and check if it makes a difference.

> Sorry to be blunt, Perhaps you are tired of Noob type questions and
> would rather palm em off into oblivion. But that's what it seems like.

Well, I guess it's our (the KDE guys) duty to provide really conveniant tools
for end users, but unfortunately we don't offer much more than file transfer
at the moment. There is a bemused remote control server, an irmc sync plugin
and a few things more, but nothing for networking or using headsets.
So these things still have to be done with the command line tools or whatever
your distribution offers you.
The problem is that we all simply lack the time to fill all these gaps. And
perhaps Marcel still hopes that someone else will help out with writing good
user documentation. It's certainly his job to document command line
parameters, but writing and maintaining a good official introduction and
HOWTOs for Bluetooth/BlueZ is a lot of work and it can be done by someone who
is not a programmer. I would go as far as saying that this kind of
documentation *should not* be written but only checked by the developers.
Maybe an official bluez wiki would be the most efficient way to make people
contribute documentation.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen

by Michael.S.G.

Marcel,
I think there are more users trying out bluez that are getting to
the same problems (Lack of HowTo's)
and gravitating toward one of the common methods of resolving problems
[Discussing such problems on user groups].

The group name (Bluez-users) seems (To me anyway) to imply for such
discussions.
However, The messages posted here appear to be more on the development side.
Isn't that why there is also a group called Bluez-development?

[...]

ATB
Michael.

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>Hi Reinier,
>

>>I recently downloaded and compiled Bluez on my linux ( Suse 9.3 ). I'm really
>>struggling to work with bluez 'cause I can't seem to find the right
>>documentation. I tried the FAQ and documentation section and even some google
>>but it's not what I'm looking for. I found the functions 'hcitool' and 'hcidump'
>>but all that I figured out at this moment is how to scan for bluetooth devices
>>(which works) from my linux. My ultimate goal is to be able to hack into my
>>bluetooth phone and get all the information from my phone onto my pc. I know
>>this must be rather trivial for you guys but some help would really be appreciated!
>>

>actually this mailing list is not about hacking Bluetooth enabled
>phones. We do serious stuff. If you wanna know how to hack phones, then
>visit one of my talks about that topic.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Jon Kristian Nilsen

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>Hi Reinier,
>

>>I recently downloaded and compiled Bluez on my linux ( Suse 9.3 ). I'm really
>>struggling to work with bluez 'cause I can't seem to find the right
>>documentation. I tried the FAQ and documentation section and even some google
>>but it's not what I'm looking for. I found the functions 'hcitool' and 'hcidump'
>>but all that I figured out at this moment is how to scan for bluetooth devices
>>(which works) from my linux. My ultimate goal is to be able to hack into my
>>bluetooth phone and get all the information from my phone onto my pc. I know
>>this must be rather trivial for you guys but some help would really be appreciated!
>>

>actually this mailing list is not about hacking Bluetooth enabled
>phones. We do serious stuff. If you wanna know how to hack phones, then
>visit one of my talks about that topic.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

I guess what he meant was how can he send/receive files between the
computer and phone. This is someting that I've been searching alot for
too...

Reinier take a look at http://openobex.sourceforge.net/applications.html
obexftp and obextool, i havent tried them yet, but i will..
I know this might seem of topic to you guys, just wanted to give my five cents on the subject...

Best Regards
Jon Kristian

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Reinier,