2006-03-07 10:58:13

by BATAILLE Philippe

Subject: [Bluez-users] Problem : multi connection with PAN

Hi,
I would like to use the PAN profile of the BlueZ
stack. I have the 2.22
version of the PAN code and
my kernel version is 2.6.15 (Fedora 4 distribution).
I would like to create several connections between a
GN and PANUs
entities. My problem is when I
create only one connection between 2 entities (GN and
PANU) I can make
a 'ping' command between
the two devices (in the 2 directions). If I try to
create an other one
with a second PANU (GN-PANU connection)
the connection succeeds but the ping command doesn't
work.

I read the PAN Howto in order to configure the PAN
correctly. This howto
mentions the possibility to
create multiple PAN connections using an ethernet
bridge (see "brctl"
program) but even if I configure it
according to the PAN howto instructions, the problem
is unresolved. May
be there is a wrong operation
in the configuration process but I can't find it.

Problem description : A B and C are the 3 Bluetooths
modules on 3
different PCs
A= GN (bdaddr_A)
B and C =PANU (bdaddr_B,bdaddr_C)

# starting HCI daemon on each PC
hcid

# network files on each PC:
/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-bnep0
DEVICE=bnep0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
HWADDR=00:02:72:C6:6E:89 # specific device
address different
for each node
IPADDR=10.0.0.x # x= 1,
2 and 3 for A, B
et C respectively
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
ONBOOT=no

# on GN (bdaddr_A) starting pand
pand -s -r GN

# on each PANU (bdaddr_B, bdaddr_C) creating a
connection with A
pand -c bdaddr_A (on B)
pand -c bdaddr_A (on C)

# show the connections on A with 'pand --show'
bnep1:bdaddr_C GN
bnep0:bdaddr_B GN

# on A, ping to B (IP:10.0.0.2)
ping 10.0.0.2 (this command is OK)

# on A ping to C (IP:10.0.0.3)
ping 10.0.0.3 (this command is not OK : Message
"Host unreachable" )

Next, I try to configure the ethernet bridge exactly
as it is described
on the PAN howto
but without any improvement.

Is there someone who can help me to resolve this
problem ?

thant you in advance

Regards

Philippe

by BATAILLE Philippe

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Problem : multi connection with PAN

--- Amateur <[email protected]> a ?crit :

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:58:13AM +0100, BATAILLE
> Philippe wrote:
> >
> > # network files on each PC:
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-bnep0
> > DEVICE=bnep0
> > BOOTPROTO=static
> > BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
> > HWADDR=00:02:72:C6:6E:89 # specific
> device
> > address different
> > for each node
> > IPADDR=10.0.0.x # x=
> 1,
> > 2 and 3 for A, B
> > et C respectively
> > NETMASK=255.0.0.0
> > NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> > ONBOOT=no
> >

> You should have a configuration file 'ifcfg-bnep1'
> there for device
> benp1 too. Each PAN connection has its interface,
> named bnep0, bnep1,
> and so on.
>
> > # on GN (bdaddr_A) starting pand
> > pand -s -r GN
> >
> > # on each PANU (bdaddr_B, bdaddr_C) creating a
> > connection with A
> > pand -c bdaddr_A (on B)
> > pand -c bdaddr_A (on C)
> >
> > # show the connections on A with 'pand --show'
> > bnep1:bdaddr_C GN
>
> You can see here that you have two interface bnep0
> and bnep1, but only
> one of them have been configured.
>
> > bnep0:bdaddr_B GN
> >
> > # on A, ping to B (IP:10.0.0.2)
> > ping 10.0.0.2 (this command is OK)
> >
> > # on A ping to C (IP:10.0.0.3)
> > ping 10.0.0.3 (this command is not OK :
> Message
> > "Host unreachable" )
>
> Not surprisingly.

Hi,

This problem has been resolve by configuring the
bridge with 'brctl' code. The multi-connections are
allowed
only if the 'dev-up' script in /etc/bluetooth/pan is
correctly executed by 'pand' program. My problem was
that the 'dev-up' script was corrupted and then
couldn't add new 'bnepx' interface when a new
connection was setup.

Regards

Phil

> groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media.
> Attend the live webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into
> this new coding territory!

by Tianlei Zhao

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:58:13AM +0100, BATAILLE Philippe wrote:

> # network files on each PC:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-bnep0
> DEVICE=bnep0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
> HWADDR=00:02:72:C6:6E:89 # specific device
> address different
> for each node
> IPADDR=10.0.0.x # x= 1,
> 2 and 3 for A, B
> et C respectively
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0
> NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> ONBOOT=no

You should have a configuration file 'ifcfg-bnep1' there for device
benp1 too. Each PAN connection has its interface, named bnep0, bnep1,
and so on.

> # on GN (bdaddr_A) starting pand
> pand -s -r GN
>
> # on each PANU (bdaddr_B, bdaddr_C) creating a
> connection with A
> pand -c bdaddr_A (on B)
> pand -c bdaddr_A (on C)
>
> # show the connections on A with 'pand --show'
> bnep1:bdaddr_C GN

You can see here that you have two interface bnep0 and bnep1, but only
one of them have been configured.

> bnep0:bdaddr_B GN
>
> # on A, ping to B (IP:10.0.0.2)
> ping 10.0.0.2 (this command is OK)
>
> # on A ping to C (IP:10.0.0.3)
> ping 10.0.0.3 (this command is not OK : Message
> "Host unreachable" )

Not surprisingly.