2006-07-19 21:02:29

by Eran

Subject: [Bluez-users] Problems with Ambicom BT-2000E

Hello,

I am the not-so-proud owner of an Ambicom BT-2000E card.

I tried using it both on a Zaurus running OZ 3.5.4.1 (kernel 2.6.16) and
a Tablet PC with similar kernel version (might have been 2.6.16.14).

Pcmcia configuration for bluetooth still says this card should get the
bt950_cs module, which I understood is a goner.

I modified the pcmcia package to use "serial_cs" class bluetooth for
this device, however - the best I get is that upon insertion of the card
I get a ttyS0 (I can see on dmesg) and after modifying the bluetooth
script itself to run hciattach /dev/ttyS0 ericsson - I see on hciconfig
a device with 00:00:00:00:00:00 as the mac address (which I can't take
up) and bluetooth will not work.

Can anyone with knowledge about this card direct me? or tell me any
other way to make this card working under kernel 2.6?

Thank you,

ERan

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Problems with Ambicom BT-2000E

Hi Brad,

> > However it wouldn't be that bad not having to patch each new kernel
> > again and again... maybe you know some contact to get this thing solved?
>
> I don't know anyone like that--sorry.
>
> One reason I think it got overlooked is you claimed to support hardware
> that you didn't have around to test. Keep the scope and impact limited
> and if it supports something new as a side effect, you may want to keep
> that under your hat if you don't have someone to test it.
>
> The other route you can go is ask a vendor to support it. I think ubuntu
> is in a good position for that. If people start to benefit from a vendor
> patch, the kernel guys may see it differently.

most of the times, Russell is kinda busy. Prepare a clean patch against
the latest 2.6 repository of Linus and post it to LKML for inclusion.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Mathias

> However it wouldn't be that bad not having to patch each new kernel
> again and again... maybe you know some contact to get this thing solved?

I don't know anyone like that--sorry.

One reason I think it got overlooked is you claimed to support hardware
that you didn't have around to test. Keep the scope and impact limited
and if it supports something new as a side effect, you may want to keep
that under your hat if you don't have someone to test it.

The other route you can go is ask a vendor to support it. I think ubuntu
is in a good position for that. If people start to benefit from a vendor
patch, the kernel guys may see it differently.

Brad

by Mathias Adam

Hello Brad,

On 19.07.06 18:28:19, Brad Midgley wrote:
> > I don't know this card, but if its UART is a 16C950 and it does run fine
> > with a kernel 2.4 you might try the kernel patch which I have posted on
> > this list some time ago concerning a Socket Bluetooth CF Card.
>
> this is the same thing you discussed on lkml almost a year ago? Did
> Russel King ever follow up after that last submission of the patch?
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/9/9/158

yes, that's still the same thing. Unfortunately I didn't get any
response after that post even when e-mailed Russell directly,
and back then I didn't have the time to push it any further.

However it wouldn't be that bad not having to patch each new kernel
again and again... maybe you know some contact to get this thing solved?

Regards,
Mathias

--
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.

by Brad Midgley

Mathias

>> Can anyone with knowledge about this card direct me? or tell me any
>> other way to make this card working under kernel 2.6?
>
> I don't know this card, but if its UART is a 16C950 and it does run fine
> with a kernel 2.4 you might try the kernel patch which I have posted on
> this list some time ago concerning a Socket Bluetooth CF Card.

this is the same thing you discussed on lkml almost a year ago? Did
Russel King ever follow up after that last submission of the patch?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/9/9/158

brad

by Mathias Adam

Hello,