2006-08-24 08:41:06

by automatic_jack

Subject: [Bluez-users] CSR Bluetooth firmware upgrade

Hi all,

my HP Ipaq h2200 has a CSR Bluetooth chipset and I use Familiar
(GNU/Linux) v0.8.4 on it; this is the output of "hciconfig -a":

hci0: Type: UART
BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
RX bytes:569 acl:0 sco:0 events:29 errors:0
TX bytes:1334 acl:0 sco:0 commands:28 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'h2200'
Class: 0x120112
Service Classes: Networking
Device Class: Computer, Handheld
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP
Subver: 0x20d Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

and this one is the output of "hciconfig hci0 revision":

hci0: Type: UART
BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 16.4
Chip version: BlueCore02-External
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

It is possible to upgrade the CSR Bluetooth firmware to get 128-bit
encryption?

Thanks :)

by automatic_jack

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] CSR Bluetooth firmware upgrade

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:10:01 +0200
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> depends on how much you like your device. You can always try to load
> an unsigned firmware, but this can render the Bluetooth chip useless
> and without SPI access to the chip there is no way of getting it back.

I really love my device so...I'll try to aks on h2200 port list if
someone has just tried to load an unigned firmware

Regards,

jack

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> > ...but you need an official firmware from HP
>
> In other words...it is impossible :D

depends on how much you like your device. You can always try to load an
unsigned firmware, but this can render the Bluetooth chip useless and
without SPI access to the chip there is no way of getting it back.

Regards

Marcel

by automatic_jack

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:24:12 +0200
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> ...but you need an official firmware from HP

In other words...it is impossible :D

Regards,

jack

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> my HP Ipaq h2200 has a CSR Bluetooth chipset and I use Familiar
> (GNU/Linux) v0.8.4 on it; this is the output of "hciconfig -a":
>
> hci0: Type: UART
> BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
> RX bytes:569 acl:0 sco:0 events:29 errors:0
> TX bytes:1334 acl:0 sco:0 commands:28 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'h2200'
> Class: 0x120112
> Service Classes: Networking
> Device Class: Computer, Handheld
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP
> Subver: 0x20d Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> and this one is the output of "hciconfig hci0 revision":
>
> hci0: Type: UART
> BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 16.4
> Chip version: BlueCore02-External
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI
>
> It is possible to upgrade the CSR Bluetooth firmware to get 128-bit
> encryption?

in general it is possible, but you need an official firmware from HP and
a firmware upgrade utility that can be used over UART.

Regards

Marcel