2006-09-12 20:11:04

by manojt ambe

Subject: [Bluez-users] Poor audio quality with DBT120 and HS850

Hello All,

I am trying to capture audio speech through throgh Motorola HS850 headset and DLink DBT120 dongle using Bluez 3.1 stack. I am able to capture audio through SCO channel using program similar to scotest. I am using . But the audio quality is not very good and voice is choppy. I am running sco audio capture program with high priority.
Has anyone experienced this before?
Pls let me know if there is any way to improve audio quality. Is there any other Dongle or headset that would work better.

thanks
Manoj

(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by manojt ambe

Thanks for pointing to SCO flow thread. The patch seems to be available for 2.6.16-mh1. I have following questions regarding this.

1) Does latest stable kernel 2.6.17... includes this patch already? Or do i need to install 2.6.16-mh1 and then apply this patch?

2) I read that bluetooth version 1.2/ 2.0 support extended SCO (eSCO) that improves audio quality. Is this patch needed with bluetooth ver 1.2/ 2.0 dongle/headset also? Are there any known bluetooth ver 1.2. dongle/headset known to work well with bluez?

Pls let me know

thanks,
Manoj

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
manojt

> I am trying to capture audio speech through throgh Motorola HS850
> headset and DLink DBT120 dongle using Bluez 3.1 stack. I am able to
> capture audio through SCO channel using program similar to scotest. I am
> using . But the audio quality is not very good and voice is choppy. I
> am running sco audio capture program with high priority.
> Has anyone experienced this before?
> Pls let me know if there is any way to improve audio quality. Is there
> any other Dongle or headset that would work better.

there were some sco flow control patches to the kernel floating around
the list about a month ago. I'm not sure if they got incorporated. they
could help with quality problems resulting from incorrect pacing.

if you have the patch you'll have to do an ioctl to turn on flow control
in your app iirc.

Brad

(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)