2006-10-19 19:37:07

by Atomic

Subject: [Bluez-users] Unsupported bluetooth device?

Hi all,
I have an Asus A4S (A4S-Q002H) equipped with a Toshiba usb BT device (CSR
chipset).
I use a kernel 2.6.18 (gentoo-sources) and I recompiled it to make BT working,
but after many attempts the system can't see the device.
I read that on Toshiba laptops the bluetooth device isn't enabled by default,
but it needs to be turned on with dmabt (this solution doesn't work with
ACPI-enabled kernel). I must consider my Asus laptop as a
Toshiba laptop regarding the bluetooth device?
Thanks. Best regards.

--
Antonio

by Atomic

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Unsupported bluetooth device?

Alle 09:53, venerd=EC 20 ottobre 2006, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:

> I do not think it has anything to do with it being a toshiba bt device.
> It is probably just a USB device that can be activated with some Fn-Fx
> hotkey.

OK. It was my doubt. So I have to forget all Toshiba laptop related solutio=
ns.

> Maybe there is something the asus_acpi module can do for you under =

> /proc/acpi/asus, but from looking at its source code you probably need to
> add support for your machine first.

Yesterday I fixed the original DSDT on my laptop and I'm going to supply it=
to =

acpi4asus developers if they hold as correct my fixes.
Seems the only thing I can do is waiting for the support in acpi4asus modul=
e, =

hoping that it is enough to make BT device working.
Thanks.

-- =

Antonio

by Stefan Seyfried

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:34:25AM +0200, Atomic wrote:
> Alle 01:04, venerd=EC 20 ottobre 2006, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:
> =

> > It's not toshiba_acpi, it's the toshiba module:
> > seife@strolchi:~> modinfo toshiba
> [CUT]
> > CONFIG_TOSHIBA=3Dm
> =

> You're right...
> =

> > But why do you think that your ASUS notebook will need the toshiba SMM
> > module? Is it manufactured by Toshiba?
> =

> As I wrote in the first post, I only need to turn on the bluetooth device =

> manufactured by Toshiba. Brad Midgley in his first replay to my post =

> suggested me to use toshset to turn on the device.
> Toshset requires toshiba support in kernel. =

Ok. It is still a weird idea :-)

> Do you know another way to turn on a Toshiba BT device without having a =

> Toshiba laptop?

I do not think it has anything to do with it being a toshiba bt device.
It is probably just a USB device that can be activated with some Fn-Fx hotk=
ey.
Maybe there is something the asus_acpi module can do for you under =

/proc/acpi/asus, but from looking at its source code you probably need to
add support for your machine first.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Atomic

Alle 01:04, venerd=EC 20 ottobre 2006, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:

> It's not toshiba_acpi, it's the toshiba module:
> seife@strolchi:~> modinfo toshiba
[CUT]
> CONFIG_TOSHIBA=3Dm

You're right...

> But why do you think that your ASUS notebook will need the toshiba SMM
> module? Is it manufactured by Toshiba?

As I wrote in the first post, I only need to turn on the bluetooth device =

manufactured by Toshiba. Brad Midgley in his first replay to my post =

suggested me to use toshset to turn on the device.
Toshset requires toshiba support in kernel. =

# ./toshset -bluetooth on
required kernel toshiba support not enabled

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:25:17PM +0200, Atomic wrote:
> Alle 22:05, gioved=EC 19 ottobre 2006, Brad Midgley ha scritto:
> =

> > toshset -bluetooth on
> =

> # ./toshset
> required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
> =

> I tried compiling toshiba support in the kernel as module, but `modprobe =
-v =

> toshiba_acpi` says:
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
> FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi =

It's not toshiba_acpi, it's the toshiba module:
seife@strolchi:~> modinfo toshiba
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.18-14-default/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.=
ko
license: GPL
author: Jonathan Buzzard <[email protected]>
vermagic: 2.6.18-14-default SMP mod_unload 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1
supported: yes
depends:
srcversion: 4084FFFFC74CA02E5586716
parm: fn:User specified Fn key detection port (int)

CONFIG_TOSHIBA=3Dm

But why do you think that your ASUS notebook will need the toshiba SMM
module? Is it manufactured by Toshiba?
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Brad Midgley

Atomic

doh. looks like a dead end. it's likely you need some kind of acpi magic
but it would have to be provided through the acpi module for your machine.

brad

>> toshset -bluetooth on
>
> # ./toshset
> required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
>
> I tried compiling toshiba support in the kernel as module, but `modprobe -v
> toshiba_acpi` says:
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
> FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi
> (/lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such
> device

by Atomic

Alle 22:05, gioved=EC 19 ottobre 2006, Brad Midgley ha scritto:

> toshset -bluetooth on

# ./toshset
required kernel toshiba support not enabled.

I tried compiling toshiba support in the kernel as module, but `modprobe -v =

toshiba_acpi` says:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi =

(/lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such =

device

-- =

Antonio
-- =

Ciao,
Antonio

by Brad Midgley

Atomic

toshset -bluetooth on

at least on debian, toshset is an optional app provided by the distro.

brad