2006-11-08 21:00:57

by Paul LeoNerd Evans

Subject: [Bluez-users] "Connect" button on Logitech bluetooth receiver

I've got a Logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo that comes with a
charging base for the mouse, which server also as the BT receiver. On it
is a button marked "connect".

When the receiver is working in "I'll do the bluetooth bit and just
pretend to be a USB keyboard and mouse", this is used to connect it to
the keyboard or mouse in question. When it is running as a real Bluetooth
receiver with the HID being done by Linux, this button appears to have no
effect.

I was wondering whether it might be possible to watch for this button
being pressed, and if so, trigger a

hidd --search

command.

I ask because sometimes lately I've noticed the keyboard and/or mouse
will become disconnected, requiring the above command to be run
simultaneously to pressing the "connect" button on the keyboard/mouse.
When the mouse has done that, not too difficult. But if the keyboard
goes, it's obviously more difficult to recover :)

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

[email protected]
ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Paul LeoNerd Evans

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:14:54 +0100
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> I personally don't think that this button event is reported through HID
> in any way. So we can't react on it.

Perhaps a question for the USB people?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

[email protected]
ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)

2006-11-13 10:07:33

by Stefan Seyfried

Hi Marcel,

=

> > I ask because sometimes lately I've noticed the keyboard and/or mouse
> > will become disconnected, requiring the above command to be run
> > simultaneously to pressing the "connect" button on the keyboard/mouse.
> > When the mouse has done that, not too difficult. But if the keyboard
> > goes, it's obviously more difficult to recover :)
> =

> A Bluetooth mouse and keyboard re-connects to you after the initial
> connect. Make sure "hidd --server" is running to accept these connects.

Although this is generally true and works fine for me most of the time
(going away on vacation, coming back 10 days later and the keyboard/mouse
reconnects immediately), sometimes it fails. Then i have to massage the
system quite a bit (replug the BT dongle, multiple hidd --search and
pressing the connect button on the keyboard/mouse required until it
suddenly works again).

So there might still be a bug in there. Unfortunately i was unable to
reproduce it (and in the way of doing so write down what i _exactly_
had to do to get it working) and after me fixing it in "headless chicken
mode" the logs are probably too polluted to be useful.

If i encounter it the next time, i try to be more careful and capture
hcidump -V -X etc.

Oh - and it seems to happen more often on some hardware (never had it
on my epox CSR based keyboard/mouse, but the Microsoft BT Desktop shows
it more often). Generally, this seems to be happen less frequently with
a recent system than, say, a year ago.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Paul,

> I've got a Logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo that comes with a
> charging base for the mouse, which server also as the BT receiver. On it
> is a button marked "connect".
>
> When the receiver is working in "I'll do the bluetooth bit and just
> pretend to be a USB keyboard and mouse", this is used to connect it to
> the keyboard or mouse in question. When it is running as a real Bluetooth
> receiver with the HID being done by Linux, this button appears to have no
> effect.
>
> I was wondering whether it might be possible to watch for this button
> being pressed, and if so, trigger a
>
> hidd --search
>
> command.

I personally don't think that this button event is reported through HID
in any way. So we can't react on it.

> I ask because sometimes lately I've noticed the keyboard and/or mouse
> will become disconnected, requiring the above command to be run
> simultaneously to pressing the "connect" button on the keyboard/mouse.
> When the mouse has done that, not too difficult. But if the keyboard
> goes, it's obviously more difficult to recover :)

A Bluetooth mouse and keyboard re-connects to you after the initial
connect. Make sure "hidd --server" is running to accept these connects.

Regards

Marcel