2006-11-13 18:07:13

by Kilian Lackhove

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Ubuntu edgy + Keyboard + dbus + security mode 3

> > I am using Ubuntu Edgy (bluez-utils 3.7.1-ubuntu-4) and an apple wireless
> > keyboard pro.
> >
> > Right now the keyboard is running without encryption and
> > authentification.
> >
> > I read i had to add the "dbus_pin_helper" option to my hcid.conf and run
> > bluez-pin --dbus. But as i run "bluez-pin --dbus" nothing happens (even
> > if i run it during "hidd --search" on another console)
> >
> > The log says Unknown Option "dbus_pin_helper line 26 "
> >
> > So whats wrong and what can i do to encrypt the connection?
>
> make sure "hidd --server --encrypt" is running. And the old PIN helper
> stuff is deprecated. Make sure a passkey agent is running to answer any
> PIN requests.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Hi,

I added the --encrypt option to my /etc/defaults/bluetooth and restarted the
deamon while running "bluez-pun --dbus". After a few seconds my keyboard
worked again and hcitool con showed

ACL XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX handle 42 state 1 lm MASTER AUTH ENCRYPT

But even though everything seemed to have worked fine, I wasnt asked for a
pin... So my Question: Is everything really alright (and secure) now?

Regards,

Kilian

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Kilian,

> I added the --encrypt option to my /etc/defaults/bluetooth and restarted the
> deamon while running "bluez-pun --dbus". After a few seconds my keyboard
> worked again and hcitool con showed
>
> ACL XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX handle 42 state 1 lm MASTER AUTH ENCRYPT
>
> But even though everything seemed to have worked fine, I wasnt asked for a
> pin... So my Question: Is everything really alright (and secure) now?

yes it is. However you might wanna consider call "hcitool key ..." to
establish a new link key if you don't know where the old one came from.

Regards

Marcel