2006-12-19 10:12:30

by Paul Gardiner

Subject: [Bluez-users] hcid.conf seemingly ignored

I had my server (running SuSE 10.1) set up as a gateway for my PDA
following the advice in:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking

I've just swapped over to SuSE 10.2 which has bluesz 3.7-14 and
the set up no longer works.

hciconfig says:

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:09:DD:50:47:BB ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:401 acl:0 sco:0 events:18 errors:0
TX bytes:317 acl:0 sco:0 commands:17 errors:0

with ISCAN missing, although my hcid.conf file has "iscan enable".

I can use "hciconfig hci0 iscan" to fix that, but this all makes
me think I'm doing something wrong. If I change hcid.conf to have
"pscan disable" that has no effect: still PSCAN is listed in
the report from hciconfig. Its as though hcid.conf is being ignored.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Paul.

by Paul Gardiner

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] hcid.conf seemingly ignored

Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:13:29PM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> No, I still can't tease any response out of dund, whatever I do. I'm
>>> seeing this in the logs:
>
> Bad.
>
>> So, is there any other way I can debug this problem? I can get a
>> trace from hcidump. Is there a way to get that to display the meaning
>> of what is transmitted?
>>
>> I really don't want to just give up, seeing as I had this working
>> perfectly on whatever version of bluez ran under suse 10.1. I
>> can't believe the changes that went through bluez since then
>> have made connecting a Qtek S100 to a linux box impossible.
>> That would be a real backward step.
>
> I also don't think we broke it on purpose :-)

Sorry. I know I'm being a bit of a misery. :-)

> I will try it out, and check if it works for me, but probably not before
> the first week of next year.

That would be brilliant, thanks.

BTW, lots of other things seem to be working or at least trying to.
If I try ActiveSync via bluetooth from my S100, I get some sort of
connection, and if running vnc at the time, I see a chat window
appear on the server. The two devices are to some extent talking.

Also, provided I issue the command "sdptool add DUN", the S100
will consider the server as being a modem, its just that the
attempt to connect always fails.

Cheers,
Paul.

by Stefan Seyfried

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:13:29PM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
> >> If it does not work, let me know so that i can fix the documentation.
> > =

> > No, I still can't tease any response out of dund, whatever I do. I'm
> > seeing this in the logs:

Bad.

> So, is there any other way I can debug this problem? I can get a
> trace from hcidump. Is there a way to get that to display the meaning
> of what is transmitted?
> =

> I really don't want to just give up, seeing as I had this working
> perfectly on whatever version of bluez ran under suse 10.1. I
> can't believe the changes that went through bluez since then
> have made connecting a Qtek S100 to a linux box impossible.
> That would be a real backward step.

I also don't think we broke it on purpose :-)
I will try it out, and check if it works for me, but probably not before
the first week of next year.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Paul Gardiner

Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> Ok thanks. I'm not sure I have read that before. That may help a lot.
>> If it does not work, let me know so that i can fix the documentation.
>
> No, I still can't tease any response out of dund, whatever I do. I'm
> seeing this in the logs:
>
> Dec 20 22:15:22 plonty dund[13620]: Accept failed. Interrupted system
> call(4)
> Dec 20 22:15:22 plonty pand[13617]: Accept failed. Interrupted system
> call(4)
> Dec 20 22:16:58 plonty dund[13730]: Accept failed. Interrupted system
> call(4)
> Dec 20 22:16:58 plonty pand[13727]: Accept failed. Interrupted system
> call(4)
>

> Could that be anything to do with it.

I've since realised that these warnings are just part of bluez shutting
down, so nothing to do with my problem.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:38:41AM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
=

> The machine in question is a headless server. Also I keep all my
> config changes under CVS, and use CVS to do most of the work
> of configing a new machine (or upgrading a machine to a new
> version of opensuse). I often use the GUI interfaces when first
> setting up something I've never used before, but once I
> have a reasonable set up, I like to break it down to config
> file changes so that I can reuse the settings easily. Admittedly
> this may not be common usage.

In this case, it is easy to script all this with dbus-send or apitest.
Just a script that sets up the machine and verifies the configuration
afterwards. Keep this script under version control and everything will
be fine :-)

> > If the procedure explained in /usr/share/doc/packages/bluez-utils/READM=
E.dund
> > does not work, please file a bugreport at bugzilla.novell.com so i can =
update
> > the documentation.
> =

> Ok thanks. I'm not sure I have read that before. That may help a lot.

If it does not work, let me know so that i can fix the documentation.

Have fun,

Stefan

-- =

Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:28:28PM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,

>>> to make this work you need to set discovto to 0, because otherwise hcid
>>> will automatically switch you device into non-discoverable mode to
>>> protect you.
>>>
>>> You can of course install bluez-gnome and use bluetooth-properties to do
>>> this configuration with a shiny UI.
>> I can't get that to work. It seems very flaky. Sometimes I get INQUIRY
>> instead of PSCAN. Other times I get nothing. I think the SuSE 10.2
>> installation may be messed up. I've installed it on two computers
>> and had the same problems.
>
> Hm. It works for me. I have not configured anything via YaST, but just with
> bluetooth-applet and apitest (in the bluez-test package).
>
> seife@strolchi:~> apitest GetMode
> discoverable
> seife@strolchi:~> apitest GetDiscoverableTimeout
> 0
> seife@strolchi:~> hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:50:F2:EA:6B:EF ACL MTU: 377:10 SCO MTU: 16:0
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:523488 acl:33305 sco:0 events:3021 errors:0
> TX bytes:110032 acl:8249 sco:0 commands:180 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xfe 0x0d 0x38 0x08 0x08 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'BlueZ strolchi (0)'
> Class: 0x3e010c
> Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing, Object Transfer, Audio
> Device Class: Computer, Laptop
> HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x3 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver: 0x800
> Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)
>
>> For now I seem to be able to at least make progress by issuing:
>>
>> hciconfig hci0 auth encryt
>>
>> and
>>
>> hciconfig hci0 piscan
>
> And this does not work with
>
> apitest SetDiscoverableTimeout 0
> apitest SetMode discoverable
>
> ?
>
> If this does not work, it sound not like a SUSE specific bug but like a
> generic bug which we all would like to know about :-)

Ok, that works. It gives me a way, other than hciconfig, to make the
device discoverable. Still a pity that hcid.conf isn't obeyed as in
opensuse 10.1. That was simpler for my set up.

The real problem now though, is whatever I do I can't get dund to
respond. Its a shame this was all working reliable back with 10.1.
Now it looks like I'm not going to be able to get it going.

Cheers,
Paul.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Stefan,

> > Does this look like a good indicator of the cause of my problems?:
> >
> > # apitest GetMode
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/usr/bin/apitest", line 3, in <module>
> > import dbus
> > ImportError: No module named dbus
>
> No. Just install the dbus-1-python package.
> (yes, i deliberately made bluez-test not depend on dbus-1-python, but
> i will think again about that :-)

there is a good reason why apitest is only distributed and not
installed. The name is way to common and unrelated to BlueZ ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Stefan Seyfried

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:23:40PM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> Does this look like a good indicator of the cause of my problems?:
> =

> # apitest GetMode
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/apitest", line 3, in <module>
> import dbus
> ImportError: No module named dbus

No. Just install the dbus-1-python package.
(yes, i deliberately made bluez-test not depend on dbus-1-python, but
i will think again about that :-)
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Ulisses Furquim

Hi Paul,

On 12/19/06, Paul Gardiner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does this look like a good indicator of the cause of my problems?:
>
> # apitest GetMode
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/apitest", line 3, in <module>
> import dbus
> ImportError: No module named dbus

No, I don't think so. We can only know that you don't have python
bindings for dbus installed on your system. You have to install a
package that is probably named dbus-python or something alike.

Regards,

-- Ulisses

by Paul Gardiner

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> I had my server (running SuSE 10.1) set up as a gateway for my PDA
>> following the advice in:
>> http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=bluetoothnetworking
>>
>> I've just swapped over to SuSE 10.2 which has bluesz 3.7-14 and
>> the set up no longer works.
>>
>> hciconfig says:
>>
>> hci0: Type: USB
>> BD Address: 00:09:DD:50:47:BB ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
>> UP RUNNING PSCAN
>> RX bytes:401 acl:0 sco:0 events:18 errors:0
>> TX bytes:317 acl:0 sco:0 commands:17 errors:0
>>
>> with ISCAN missing, although my hcid.conf file has "iscan enable".
>
> to make this work you need to set discovto to 0, because otherwise hcid
> will automatically switch you device into non-discoverable mode to
> protect you.
>
> You can of course install bluez-gnome and use bluetooth-properties to do
> this configuration with a shiny UI.

I can't get that to work. It seems very flaky. Sometimes I get INQUIRY
instead of PSCAN. Other times I get nothing. I think the SuSE 10.2
installation may be messed up. I've installed it on two computers
and had the same problems.

For now I seem to be able to at least make progress by issuing:

hciconfig hci0 auth encryt

and

hciconfig hci0 piscan

at least then my PDA can find the device. I then run into another
problem with dund, which I'll ask about in a new thread.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.

by Marcel Holtmann