2007-01-10 16:05:07

by Bas Schulte

Subject: [Bluez-users] What happened with pin_helper (hcid.conf)?

Hi,

recently my bluez version got updated and it seems "pin_helper"
doesn't work anymore in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf.

What's the recipe in the current version of bluez to get this working
again? I can't pair with my phone any longer. Phone asks for the PIN
but how does bluez determine what the proper pin is, to enter on the
phone?

Thanks,

Bas.

by Stefan Seyfried

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:31:20PM +0100, Bas Schulte wrote:
> =

> On 10-jan-2007, at 17:12, Brad Midgley wrote:
> =

> > install bluez-passkey-gnome if this is ubuntu/debian (or the =

> > equivalent
> > package if not).
> =

> It's a headless debian box.
> =

> No solution for headless operation?

Use ssh X-forwarding :-)

Or compile the "passkey-agent" example application in the bluez-utils
and use that.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Bas Schulte

On 10-jan-2007, at 19:39, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> The reason this is being discussed to death is that there is no
> documention telling us how to apply a pass code

Yep.

Problem now is that virtually every how-to flying around the 'net
will make sure people will stay in the dark for another year or so as
those all mention to put "pin_helper /usr/bin/something" etc. etc..

The wonders of progress, eh?

by Bearcat M. Sandor

The reason this is being discussed to death is that there is no
documention telling us how to apply a pass code. If you don't have
documentation be prepared for things to be discussed. Postings on a
mailing list is not documentation.

I realise that the bluez agent in gnome may be the desired way to go, but
as a linux user surely you realise that not all of us use Gnome. Since
the bluez activity is happening at a lower level, i feel that the gui apps
should be simply an optional interface to the process not the idea process
itself.

That said, thank you for the great work on this stack. It is very
appreciated.

Bearcat M. Sandor
> this has been discussed to death. Starting with bluez-utils-3.x the PIN
> helper concept has been deprecated and you have to provide a passkey
> agent. Nobody said that this agent has to use a display. Check the
> example passkey-agent.c in the source code.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Bas Schulte

On 10-jan-2007, at 19:00, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>> The word "over-engineering" is about to leave my mouth.... *oops*,
>> nope, won't say it.
>
> once you realize the full picture behind it

Yeah, you're most likely right, I was kidding ;)

BTW, the gprs connection that worked fine before the upgrade doesn't
work any longer. Another night of messing about to get it to work
again :(

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Bas,

> > this has been discussed to death. Starting with bluez-utils-3.x the
> > PIN
> > helper concept has been deprecated and you have to provide a passkey
> > agent. Nobody said that this agent has to use a display. Check the
> > example passkey-agent.c in the source code.
>
> The word "over-engineering" is about to leave my mouth.... *oops*,
> nope, won't say it.

once you realize the full picture behind it, you might think otherwise.
The change to a passkey agent concept and cleanly separating the
handling of a pairing from the PIN input was a wise decision. Especially
when the new Simple Pairing of Bluetooth 2.1 comes along.

Regards

Marcel

by Bas Schulte

On 10-jan-2007, at 18:41, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> this has been discussed to death. Starting with bluez-utils-3.x the
> PIN
> helper concept has been deprecated and you have to provide a passkey
> agent. Nobody said that this agent has to use a display. Check the
> example passkey-agent.c in the source code.

The word "over-engineering" is about to leave my mouth.... *oops*,
nope, won't say it.

;)

by Bas Schulte

On 10-jan-2007, at 18:12, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>> Jan 10 17:56:27 localhost hcid[8326]: Unknown option 'pin_helper'
>> line 26
>
> I just use "passkey 0000;" and security auto. It seems to be the
> New Way if
> you don't want to use dbus.

I think I tried that but I think that works the other way around.
When entering the pin as specified in "passkey" on my phone, pairing
fails. Although that may be yet another problem.

by Andrew Kohlsmith

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 11:56 am, Bas Schulte wrote:
> hcid complains when I do just that:
>
> Jan 10 17:56:27 localhost hcid[8326]: Unknown option 'pin_helper'
> line 26

I just use "passkey 0000;" and security auto. It seems to be the New Way if
you don't want to use dbus.

-A.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Bas,

On 10-jan-2007, at 18:13, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> Seems strange under Linux to have a low level service so
> reliant on the presence of a desktop.

Good point.

I plan to use it on a box that doesn't even *have* a display or
keyboard ;)

by Paul Gardiner

On 10-jan-2007, at 17:51, Brad Midgley wrote:

> you can still add a pin_helper setting in hcid.conf.

hcid complains when I do just that:

Jan 10 17:56:27 localhost hcid[8326]: Unknown option 'pin_helper'
line 26

:(

by Brad Midgley

Bas

you can still add a pin_helper setting in hcid.conf.

brad