2007-01-11 16:33:45

by Choi Sonim

Subject: [Bluez-users] Profiles on Bluez

Hello ppl!

What Bluetooth profile do BlueZ support ?
I found some OBEX utilities (which both gnome and kde provides),
and the builtin BNEP support. but that;s it. no hands-free, bpp, opp,a2dp,ftp,
nothing ?

I know it is high-level and everything can be written on top of bluez
but i wonder what is already supported ?

Thank You ppl,
Choi.

by Michael Mauch

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Profiles on Bluez

Thomas Kear wrote:

> Someone else will have to fill in the details about DUN, bluez provides a
> binary called 'dund', but I don't have a clue how it works.

It is used for dial-up networking (LAP (LAN Access over PPP)), either
with --listen as a server, or with --connect as a client. See e.g.
http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/bluetooth.php

Regards...
Michael

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (347.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Thomas Kear

I have to confess, at this point, some of my knowledge on this subject comes
from Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

You'll need to clarify OBEX, as there are a number of services built on it
GOEP, "Generic Object Exchange Profile" is one of them, I know nothing more
about it than wikipedia can tell you (not much). It doesn't appear to be a
user-accessable feature so much as a basis for other profiles.
OPP I mentioned in my last email, is the one-way sender-initiated file
transfer protocol.
FTP is similar(ish) to OPP, but usually reciever initiated, and supports file
browsing, deleting, etc on the remote host. As mentioned last time, KDE's
bluetooth services offer it, I forgot to mention obexftp however:
http://triq.net/obex

There are likely daemons to facilitate OPP recieves other than KDE or GNOME's
bluetooth packages, but the names of any of these are escaping me.

The HID protocol, compared to most, is simple. bluez-utils
provides /usr/bin/hidd, which in general is all you need to use it. Its man
page, HIDD(1) contains very little information (as of bluez-3.7), but the
commands are intuitive enough:
'--server' starts a server for inbound HID connections (for example, my
cellphone (Sony Ericsson K750i) has a feature it calls "remote control" that
works with hidd in this way)
'--connect 00:00:00:00:00:00' connects to an active bluetooth input device.
most keyboards/mice work like this.
'--search' looks for active devices and tries to connect to them
automatically.

Someone else will have to fill in the details about DUN, bluez provides a
binary called 'dund', but I don't have a clue how it works.

SPP is handled by rfcomm, which is also simple.
# rfcomm bind rfcomm0 00:00:00:00:00:00 [bluetooth channel]
will create /dev/rfcomm0 as a serial port to the chosen device, which can be
used by any app (you might need to check permissions, naturally).

# rfcomm release rfcomm0
will delete the device again.

I think that covers just about everything you asked for, feel free to ask for
clarification on anything.

--Thomas

On Saturday 13 January 2007 5:59 am, you wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you for the help.
>
> I also found that BlueZ supports PAN and BNEP inherently.
>
> can I please ask about more profiles and protocols like goep, obex, spp,
> hid, dun, spp ?
>
> Are they supported ? by whom,where ?
>
> Thanks again !!!!
> Choi.
>
> On 1/11/07, Thomas Kear <[email protected]> wrote:
> > SCO (handsfree), A2DP and AVRCP are supported by the bluetooth-alsa
> > driver http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net
> >
> > BPP, depending on which way you want to use it, is a bit of an issue at
> > the moment. I haven't yet found a server that lets my PC accept print
> > requests from mobile devices and print them through CUPS. However
> > working the other way, CUPS has a bluetooth backend that supports adding
> > queues for bluetooth printers (I believe using HCRP).
> >
> > OPP and FTP are handled just fine by KDE's 'kdebluetooth' package, if you
> > have it installed, bluetooth:/ in a konqueror view should give you a
> > device listing, double clicking a device icon should display supported
> > profiles, FTP is called "OBEX File Transfer". In OPP's case, sending a
> > file from a device to the PC should automatically open a dialogue to
> > facilitate recieving it. Sending files is as easy as right clicking them
> > in a konqueror view and selecting "Actions> Send with Bluetooth...".
> > Gnome's bluetooth utilities should have similar funtionality, I cannot
> > comment further as I've never used them.
> >
> > --Thomas
> >
> > On Friday 12 January 2007 5:33 am, Choi Sonim wrote:
> > > Hello ppl!
> > >
> > > What Bluetooth profile do BlueZ support ?
> > > I found some OBEX utilities (which both gnome and kde provides),
> > > and the builtin BNEP support. but that;s it. no hands-free, bpp,
> > > opp,a2dp,ftp, nothing ?
> > >
> > > I know it is high-level and everything can be written on top of bluez
> > > but i wonder what is already supported ?
> > >
> > > Thank You ppl,
> > > Choi.

> > > [email protected]
> > > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bluez-users

(No filename) (5.12 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
(No filename) (347.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Choi Sonim

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the help.

I also found that BlueZ supports PAN and BNEP inherently.

can I please ask about more profiles and protocols like goep, obex, spp, hid,
dun, spp ?

Are they supported ? by whom,where ?

Thanks again !!!!
Choi.

On 1/11/07, Thomas Kear <[email protected]> wrote:
> SCO (handsfree), A2DP and AVRCP are supported by the bluetooth-alsa driver
> http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net
>
> BPP, depending on which way you want to use it, is a bit of an issue at the
> moment. I haven't yet found a server that lets my PC accept print requests
> from mobile devices and print them through CUPS. However working the other
> way, CUPS has a bluetooth backend that supports adding queues for bluetooth
> printers (I believe using HCRP).
>
> OPP and FTP are handled just fine by KDE's 'kdebluetooth' package, if you have
> it installed, bluetooth:/ in a konqueror view should give you a device
> listing, double clicking a device icon should display supported profiles, FTP
> is called "OBEX File Transfer". In OPP's case, sending a file from a device
> to the PC should automatically open a dialogue to facilitate recieving it.
> Sending files is as easy as right clicking them in a konqueror view and
> selecting "Actions> Send with Bluetooth...". Gnome's bluetooth utilities
> should have similar funtionality, I cannot comment further as I've never used
> them.
>
> --Thomas
>
> On Friday 12 January 2007 5:33 am, Choi Sonim wrote:
> > Hello ppl!
> >
> > What Bluetooth profile do BlueZ support ?
> > I found some OBEX utilities (which both gnome and kde provides),
> > and the builtin BNEP support. but that;s it. no hands-free, bpp,
> > opp,a2dp,ftp, nothing ?
> >
> > I know it is high-level and everything can be written on top of bluez
> > but i wonder what is already supported ?
> >
> > Thank You ppl,
> > Choi.

by Thomas Kear