2007-03-15 00:19:13

by Igor Chudov

Subject: [Bluez-users] FOLLOWUP -- finally, the PPP over Bluetooth/Cell Phone WORKS!

[This message has also been posted to comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking .]
[Cc: to bluez-user mailing list]

I have finally made my linux laptop connect to internet using my cell
phone.

I resolved the problem of cell phone and laptop not seeing one
another, by means of gnome-phone-manager. After the initial handshake
and exchange of PIN, they would recognize one another.

After that, I write a ppp script to connect to Cingular. Struggled for
a few hours with the issue of cingular dropping me instantly after
authentication.

Turns out that the customer service rep dummy with whom I spoke
yesterday, put me on a wrong plan and I was not provisioned for a cell
phone modem connection. After 20 minutes of trying to convince a
similarly clueless rep to let me talk to someone more knowledgeable
(she was trying to prove to me that I could not use my cell phone as a
modem), I was connected to a more knowledgeable rep who put me on the
right plan.

After that, voila, everything is working just fine. I get IP addresses
assigned, routing works, everything is fine. I will add my bluetooth
to my autodiscover network script. This script makes sure that my
laptop finds the best possible internet connection (home ethernet,
home wifi, work ethernet, and now Cingular) all by itself without icon
clicking and other nonsense.

Big kudos go to the BlueZ team and to authors of gnome-phone-manager.

Thank you guys!

PS my next plan is to make my laptop into a wifi station so that other
people (my wife) could connect to me on the train, while my laptop is
connected to Cingular via cell phone.

by Igor Chudov

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] FOLLOWUP -- finally, PPP over Bluetooth/Cell Phone WORKS!

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:51:34AM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Igor Chudov - [email protected] wrote:
>
> > PS my next plan is to make my laptop into a wifi station so that other
> > people (my wife) could connect to me on the train, while my laptop is
> > connected to Cingular via cell phone.
>
> Off-topic, I know, but...
>
> Do you know whether or not your laptop actually *can* function as a wifi
> access point? Because as far as I know, most can't. I know I've tried
> to do this and run into problems. Instead, if you've got two wifi
> devices that you want to talk to each other directly, you're supposed to
> use "ad-hoc mode". However, this also has many problems, and most
> device manufacturers seem to treat ad-hoc mode as a kind of
> embarrassment they'd rather not talk about. Whenever you depart from
> the established script of "computers with wifi adapters talking to a
> dedicated, fixed, wired access point", you tend to find yourself
> somewhat alone and helpless.
>
> Apologies if you know all this already, just felt that I should warn you
> in case you didn't know what you were in for.

I do not know if my laptop can be a wifi access point. I will try to
go as far as I can in that direction and will try everything
possible. I am using an Atheros based wifi card. (madwifi)

by bluez.mexon