2007-04-07 21:40:00

by siddhant tewari

Subject: [Bluez-users] using class 1 dongle

hi,
I am using class 1 dongle which says it has 100 mt range , but to my
surprise using this dongle i cannot search my mobile phone which are even
around 30 - 40 mts.

Are there any special commands which should be issued to the microprocessor
in the dongle so that its full range can be exploited.

and

Are there any set of instruction by which i can verify the range of the
dongle.

Also can anyone tell me about the class 1 dongle they use , their experience
and the range to which their dongle can detect devices.

regards
siddhant

Attachments:
(No filename) (540.00 B)
(No filename) (601.00 B)
(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Thomas Kear

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] using class 1 dongle

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, siddhant tewari wrote:
> Really great to get a answer ... i think my mobile phone
> has class 2 bt adapter ... but this issue is a real shock for me ... i
> thought if any of the devices has a good range , communication channel will
> be established and data transfer will take place , but all this theory goes
> in vain .
The problem is as simple as transmit power. As wikipedia helpfully shows
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses), class 1 devices can have 40
times the transmit power of class 2 devices, the class 1 connecting to class
2 problem comes down to that past a certain range, the class 2 device does
not have a high enough transmit power for its signal to reach the reciever
(2.4GHz signals are eaten particularly fast by everything in their path,
including air).

As i outlined before, the higher transmit power in a class 1 device will come
coupled to a higher sensitivity reciever, but that's not going to get you
100m. If you had got the 30-40 metres you were attempting in your original
email you would have been extremely lucky.

The problem is there are very few phones that come with class 1 bluetooth,
100mW transmit power is a little hard on battery life. If you want a
challenge though, find a class1 bluetooth adapter that has a dipole aerial
rather than the usual circuit board trace and attach a bigger one.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.37 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by siddhant tewari

hi Thomas,
Really great to get a answer ... i think my mobile phone
has class 2 bt adapter ... but this issue is a real shock for me ... i
thought if any of the devices has a good range , communication channel will
be established and data transfer will take place , but all this theory goes
in vain .

Can u tell why this things happen (both the devices should be class 1 ) or
where can i look for the reasons for such a behavior, because i need to
inform this to one of my project head and knowing the reason will always
help ......

waiting for reply

regards
siddhant

On 4/8/07, Thomas Kear <[email protected]> wrote:

> The "100 metre" range depends on both devices being class 1. If you
> have a class 1 device talking to a class 2 (10m) device, your maximum
> range may be higher than 10 metres due to the increased transmit power
> and recieve sensitivity, but won't be anything like 100m.
>
> Unlike 802.11 there is no user-adjustable transmit power either,
> you're stuck with the dongle figuring that out for you.
>
> If your phone is class1 (a few are, but 99.5% are class2) then you
> genuinely have an issue, which could be as simple as a wall in the way
> which is blocking the signal, or as difficult as your neighbour having
> a leaking microwave oven.
>
> On 08/04/07, siddhant tewari <[email protected]> wrote:
> > hi,
> > I am using class 1 dongle which says it has 100 mt range , but to my
> > surprise using this dongle i cannot search my mobile phone which are
> even
> > around 30 - 40 mts.
> >
> > Are there any special commands which should be issued to the
> microprocessor
> > in the dongle so that its full range can be exploited.
> >
> > and
> >
> > Are there any set of instruction by which i can verify the range of the
> > dongle.
> >
> > Also can anyone tell me about the class 1 dongle they use , their
> experience
> > and the range to which their dongle can detect devices.
> >
> > regards
> > siddhant

> Thomas Kear
> [email protected]
> +6421996496

(No filename) (3.06 kB)
(No filename) (4.21 kB)
(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Thomas Kear

The "100 metre" range depends on both devices being class 1. If you
have a class 1 device talking to a class 2 (10m) device, your maximum
range may be higher than 10 metres due to the increased transmit power
and recieve sensitivity, but won't be anything like 100m.

Unlike 802.11 there is no user-adjustable transmit power either,
you're stuck with the dongle figuring that out for you.

If your phone is class1 (a few are, but 99.5% are class2) then you
genuinely have an issue, which could be as simple as a wall in the way
which is blocking the signal, or as difficult as your neighbour having
a leaking microwave oven.

On 08/04/07, siddhant tewari <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi,
> I am using class 1 dongle which says it has 100 mt range , but to my
> surprise using this dongle i cannot search my mobile phone which are even
> around 30 - 40 mts.
>
> Are there any special commands which should be issued to the microprocessor
> in the dongle so that its full range can be exploited.
>
> and
>
> Are there any set of instruction by which i can verify the range of the
> dongle.
>
> Also can anyone tell me about the class 1 dongle they use , their experience
> and the range to which their dongle can detect devices.
>
> regards
> siddhant

Thomas Kear
[email protected]