2007-04-05 14:42:34

by S. Vandersee

Subject: [Bluez-users] raw mode

Dear list,

if I simply change the product ID of my CSR dongle from
0a12:0001 to 0a12:0002 hciconfig will report "RAW" as device
mode after rebooting:
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:16:41:18:7A:8C ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
UP RUNNING RAW
RX bytes:66 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
TX bytes:15 acl:0 sco:0 commands:5 errors:0

Does the Bluetooth drivers only assume it must be a raw mode
because of the product ID? Or is there a "real" raw mode detected?
And if there is such a raw mode how can raw frames be retrieved?
Thanks!

Sebastian

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] raw mode

Hi Sebastian,

> if I simply change the product ID of my CSR dongle from
> 0a12:0001 to 0a12:0002 hciconfig will report "RAW" as device
> mode after rebooting:
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:16:41:18:7A:8C ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
> UP RUNNING RAW
> RX bytes:66 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
> TX bytes:15 acl:0 sco:0 commands:5 errors:0
>

> Does the Bluetooth drivers only assume it must be a raw mode
> because of the product ID? Or is there a "real" raw mode detected?
> And if there is such a raw mode how can raw frames be retrieved?

the RAW flag for HCI indicates the kernel doesn't handle any higher
protocol like L2CAP or RFCOMM for this device. It means you have to do
everything by yourself. So in theory you can write your own Bluetooth
protocol stack in userspace accessing the HCI in RAW mode and make use
of the BlueZ transport drivers.

The RAW mode is not a sniffer mode. However it gets set if you attach a
Bluetooth dongle from Frontline. They look like normal HCI devices, but
they are not.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Stephenson

S. Vandersee" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> if I simply change the product ID of my CSR dongle from
> 0a12:0001 to 0a12:0002 hciconfig will report "RAW" as device
> mode after rebooting:

> Does the Bluetooth drivers only assume it must be a raw mode
> because of the product ID? Or is there a "real" raw mode detected?
> And if there is such a raw mode how can raw frames be retrieved?

As far as the device is concerned, PID 1 is the only one that supports normal Bluetooth operation. As it happens, PID 2 is used by Frontline Test Equipment for
their Bluetooth sniffer, which wouldn't work unless you had the right firmware, so
this is not useful. (This is a slightly different question to what Bluez does
with a "funny" PID, but the answer to "does the device have clever handling
for PID 2" is "no".)

--
Peter Stephenson <[email protected]> Software Engineer
Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser: http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview