2007-09-24 19:13:47

by Jared Greenwald

Subject: [Bluez-users] help with Logitech Travel Mouse

I've had this setup for a year or so. A nice bluetooth mouse and
Kubuntu. Currently, I'm running kubuntu 7.10 with the 2.6.22-12
kernel and blueZ 3.19-0ubuntu1.

Every time I upgrade my kernel, I've had to re-establish my mouse's
bluetooth connection by power-cycling it or hitting the reset button
while running hiddev --search. This time, when I upgraded, I cannot
get the mouse to re-establish a connection. I'm able to get hiddev to
"see" the mac of my mouse, but it times out on getting any actual
information that would make it usable as an input device.

Any thoughts or suggestions that people can think of, would be great.

Thanks in advance...
-Jared

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] help with Logitech Travel Mouse

Hi Martin,

> > > Thank you very much. I didn't realize that hidd were supposed to still
> > > work. I will look into writing a python tool that does what I want to
> > > do. However, I still don't quite understand why the hidd behavior has
> > > changed and/or why it is incorrect to use them more then once. In
> > > particular, in the case where a device (keyboard/mouse) was once paired
> > > with a computer, but then has been re-paired with another computer. If
> > > I want to reconnect the keyboard/mouse to the first computer, wouldn't I
> > > have to re-issue a hidd --connect <MAC> ? (or the equivalent D-Bus
> > > calls?)
> >
> > the HID devices are not designed to work like this. Period. They only
> > support one binding with a host system. You try to make it work with a
> > scenario it is not designed for. If you need details, check the
> > Bluetooth HID specification.
> >

> I understand that HID devices only support one binding at a time. But
> if I want to use the same keyboard with two systems, not at the same
> time but back and forth, then I should be able to re-authenticate it
> with the previous system. This is a use case that totally makes sense
> and works fine. It used to work fine between two Linux system, two
> Windows system and a Windows and Linux system. I just had one keyboard
> and whenever I wanted to use it with another system, I'd reset the
> keyboard and re-pair it with the system at hand. This is definitely
> possible and I am sure that the specifications allow for pairing with a
> system that was previously paired with in case the HID device lost its
> pairing.

the point here is to re-pair and for security reasons we reject attempts
from devices where the authentication fails. So it means you have to
actually remove the previous binding first before you can re-pair. From
a security point of view there is no other way to do that. All other
cases will make your system vulnerable for attacks.

Regards

Marcel

by Martin Stolle

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:39:12AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > Thank you very much. I didn't realize that hidd were supposed to still
> > work. I will look into writing a python tool that does what I want to
> > do. However, I still don't quite understand why the hidd behavior has
> > changed and/or why it is incorrect to use them more then once. In
> > particular, in the case where a device (keyboard/mouse) was once paired
> > with a computer, but then has been re-paired with another computer. If
> > I want to reconnect the keyboard/mouse to the first computer, wouldn't I
> > have to re-issue a hidd --connect <MAC> ? (or the equivalent D-Bus
> > calls?)
>
> the HID devices are not designed to work like this. Period. They only
> support one binding with a host system. You try to make it work with a
> scenario it is not designed for. If you need details, check the
> Bluetooth HID specification.

I understand that HID devices only support one binding at a time. But
if I want to use the same keyboard with two systems, not at the same
time but back and forth, then I should be able to re-authenticate it
with the previous system. This is a use case that totally makes sense
and works fine. It used to work fine between two Linux system, two
Windows system and a Windows and Linux system. I just had one keyboard
and whenever I wanted to use it with another system, I'd reset the
keyboard and re-pair it with the system at hand. This is definitely
possible and I am sure that the specifications allow for pairing with a
system that was previously paired with in case the HID device lost its
pairing.

(And no, I don't expect it two work with two systems at the same time or
interchangeably without re-pairing. I completely understand that the
HID device can only be paired with one system at any one moment in time)

Martin

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 12:06:30AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> For the hidd case we provide smooth transition. So once you connected
> via --search and --connect the new input service will pick up that HID
> device on next boot and make it work. However --search and --connect and
> are one-time commands only. No matter what you think or what you want or
> what you read somewhere else. If you use them in a wrong why, then that
> is your problem.

Thank you very much. I didn't realize that hidd were supposed to still
work. I will look into writing a python tool that does what I want to
do. However, I still don't quite understand why the hidd behavior has
changed and/or why it is incorrect to use them more then once. In
particular, in the case where a device (keyboard/mouse) was once paired
with a computer, but then has been re-paired with another computer. If
I want to reconnect the keyboard/mouse to the first computer, wouldn't I
have to re-issue a hidd --connect <MAC> ? (or the equivalent D-Bus
calls?)

Thanks,
Martin

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

> > > The other problem is - what about people who don't use gnome or kde? I
> > > always thought Linux was about choice. Clearly, if I want to use
> > > bluetooth, I am forced to use one of these desktop systems with their
> > > desktops, wms etc..., which is quite restrictive. That is quite a step
> > > back from the "hidd --search" way of doing things!
> > >
> > > (Now, I am not saying that hidd --search should be the only way -
> > > definitely not. Gnome and KDE integratino are really important. But
> > > please not at the expense of simple command-line tools!)
> >
> > Just go ahead and write them. Take those python scripts as a base and write
> > some nice ncurses-based inputwizard. Or maybe XLib-based or whatever. Lots
> > of people are complaining that "there is no way to do it on the command line"
> > but the only people providing code are the desktop people.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not a "desktop" person or "command-line" person. I
> am a user. A significant amount of people earn their living writing
> Gnome/KDE tools. Thats, IMHO, why they provide code faster. I don't
> think I have the time and resources to promise that I will write and
> maintain tools that the bluez-team decided were no longer necessary.
>
> It's a shame. I guess it's bound to happen - the more successful Linux
> gets, the more it's gonna be like Windows. Less choice, more
> clicky-clicky! I still don't quite understand the decision to drop
> support for command-line tools, but I am not entitled to judge the
> bluez-developers. I can only express my frustration.

we have a perfect abstraction through the D-Bus interfaces we defined.
This allows all kind of users and languages. Meaning you can do whatever
you want. This is the choice. That we currently only have graphical
application that satisfy you is actually your problem. Most of us work
with Python since it is really simple to use the D-Bus API from within
it. The GTK/GNOME application exists, because I wrote them. The KDE
ones, because some KDE people cared. In Linux it has always been that
you have to step up and do something. This is how it works.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 01:30:35PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:34:41AM -0400, Martin Stolle wrote:
>
> > The other problem is - what about people who don't use gnome or kde? I
> > always thought Linux was about choice. Clearly, if I want to use
> > bluetooth, I am forced to use one of these desktop systems with their
> > desktops, wms etc..., which is quite restrictive. That is quite a step
> > back from the "hidd --search" way of doing things!
> >
> > (Now, I am not saying that hidd --search should be the only way -
> > definitely not. Gnome and KDE integratino are really important. But
> > please not at the expense of simple command-line tools!)
>
> Just go ahead and write them. Take those python scripts as a base and write
> some nice ncurses-based inputwizard. Or maybe XLib-based or whatever. Lots
> of people are complaining that "there is no way to do it on the command line"
> but the only people providing code are the desktop people.

Unfortunately, I am not a "desktop" person or "command-line" person. I
am a user. A significant amount of people earn their living writing
Gnome/KDE tools. Thats, IMHO, why they provide code faster. I don't
think I have the time and resources to promise that I will write and
maintain tools that the bluez-team decided were no longer necessary.

It's a shame. I guess it's bound to happen - the more successful Linux
gets, the more it's gonna be like Windows. Less choice, more
clicky-clicky! I still don't quite understand the decision to drop
support for command-line tools, but I am not entitled to judge the
bluez-developers. I can only express my frustration.

Martin

by Stefan Seyfried

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:34:41AM -0400, Martin Stolle wrote:
=

> The other problem is - what about people who don't use gnome or kde? I
> always thought Linux was about choice. Clearly, if I want to use
> bluetooth, I am forced to use one of these desktop systems with their
> desktops, wms etc..., which is quite restrictive. That is quite a step
> back from the "hidd --search" way of doing things!
> =

> (Now, I am not saying that hidd --search should be the only way -
> definitely not. Gnome and KDE integratino are really important. But
> please not at the expense of simple command-line tools!)

Just go ahead and write them. Take those python scripts as a base and write
some nice ncurses-based inputwizard. Or maybe XLib-based or whatever. Lots
of people are complaining that "there is no way to do it on the command lin=
e"
but the only people providing code are the desktop people.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG N=FCrnberg)

by Jared Greenwald

But, I guess the question is, why is it reporting that the device is
already there? Also, if the device is already there and its not "just
recognizing" the device, then what else could be the issue? The other
thing is, I am running KDE with kbluetooth on and kbluetooth is
reporting the mac address when I'm running the search, but I still
don't get any connectivity.

-Jared

On 9/25/07, Claudio Takahasi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once the input device is created(using CreateDevice) the device will
> reconnect automatically to the host when the user presses any key or
> moves the mouse. Currently, there isn't a wizard applet to setup input
> device, bluez-gnome and KDEBluetooth will support this functionality
> soon. Bear in mind that an authorization agent(bluez-gnome implements
> it) is required to authorize the incomming connection, alternatively
> you can add this device in the trusted list to skip authorizations.
>
> dbus-send examples are a workaround for testing purpose.
>
> We have reconnect problems with some buggy keyboards, otherwise the
> service is working fine.
>
> BR,
> Claudio.
>
> On 9/25/07, Jared Greenwald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Someone else in #bluez-users pointed me to a page on this wiki with a
> > bunch of little python scripts that would do the connection from
> > bluetooth to device and vice-versa (HOWTO/InputDevices).
> >
> > I find it interesting that someone on this list would explicitly say
> > to not use the hidd commands, but people readily offer these python
> > scripts as fixes. If these are so ubiquitous, why aren't they already
> > part of the bluez-utils package?
> >
> > In any case, I tried running the dbus-send commands that are listed
> > next to the python scripts and got nowhere.
> >
> > $dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez \
> > /org/bluez org.bluez.Manager.ActivateService string:input
> > string ":1.8"
> >
> > $ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
> > /org/bluez/input org.bluez.input.Manager.CreateDevice
> > string:00:07:61:48:FC:DB
> > Error org.bluez.input.Error.AlreadyExists: Input Already exists
> >
> > This can't be good. Maybe this is around from me trying to run hidd --search?
> >
> > $ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
> > /org/bluez/input/mouse0 org.bluez.input.Device.Connect
> > Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with
> > signature "" on interface "org.bluez.input.Device" doesn't exist
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what this error is telling me, but I assume
> > that it's not going to be good.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -Jared

> > > Sorry, but I can't find any end-user examples on the wiki. They are all
> > > programming examples in C and python. Are you saying that the simple
> > > "hidd --search" tool call has been replaced by having to write a whole
> > > python program? That's seems like quite a regression. Or maybe I am
> > > not able to find the appropriate page?
> > >
> > > Martin

by Martin Stolle

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:24:33AM -0300, Claudio Takahasi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once the input device is created(using CreateDevice) the device will
> reconnect automatically to the host when the user presses any key or
> moves the mouse. Currently, there isn't a wizard applet to setup input
> device, bluez-gnome and KDEBluetooth will support this functionality
> soon. Bear in mind that an authorization agent(bluez-gnome implements
> it) is required to authorize the incomming connection, alternatively
> you can add this device in the trusted list to skip authorizations.
>
> dbus-send examples are a workaround for testing purpose.
>
> We have reconnect problems with some buggy keyboards, otherwise the
> service is working fine.
>
> BR,
> Claudio.

If the above comments are correct, the "new" system has two problems I
can see: What about the case where the device in question was reset?
In that case, bluez thinks it's already authenticated, but the device
doesn't connect to bluez, since it's still set up for another computer?

The other problem is - what about people who don't use gnome or kde? I
always thought Linux was about choice. Clearly, if I want to use
bluetooth, I am forced to use one of these desktop systems with their
desktops, wms etc..., which is quite restrictive. That is quite a step
back from the "hidd --search" way of doing things!

(Now, I am not saying that hidd --search should be the only way -
definitely not. Gnome and KDE integratino are really important. But
please not at the expense of simple command-line tools!)

Martin

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi,

Once the input device is created(using CreateDevice) the device will
reconnect automatically to the host when the user presses any key or
moves the mouse. Currently, there isn't a wizard applet to setup input
device, bluez-gnome and KDEBluetooth will support this functionality
soon. Bear in mind that an authorization agent(bluez-gnome implements
it) is required to authorize the incomming connection, alternatively
you can add this device in the trusted list to skip authorizations.

dbus-send examples are a workaround for testing purpose.

We have reconnect problems with some buggy keyboards, otherwise the
service is working fine.

BR,
Claudio.

On 9/25/07, Jared Greenwald <[email protected]> wrote:
> Someone else in #bluez-users pointed me to a page on this wiki with a
> bunch of little python scripts that would do the connection from
> bluetooth to device and vice-versa (HOWTO/InputDevices).
>
> I find it interesting that someone on this list would explicitly say
> to not use the hidd commands, but people readily offer these python
> scripts as fixes. If these are so ubiquitous, why aren't they already
> part of the bluez-utils package?
>
> In any case, I tried running the dbus-send commands that are listed
> next to the python scripts and got nowhere.
>
> $dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez \
> /org/bluez org.bluez.Manager.ActivateService string:input
> string ":1.8"
>
> $ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
> /org/bluez/input org.bluez.input.Manager.CreateDevice
> string:00:07:61:48:FC:DB
> Error org.bluez.input.Error.AlreadyExists: Input Already exists
>
> This can't be good. Maybe this is around from me trying to run hidd --search?
>
> $ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
> /org/bluez/input/mouse0 org.bluez.input.Device.Connect
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with
> signature "" on interface "org.bluez.input.Device" doesn't exist
>
> I'm not sure I understand what this error is telling me, but I assume
> that it's not going to be good.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jared
>
> On 9/24/07, Martin Stolle <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:12:34AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > > Hi Martin,

> > > checkout wiki.bluez.org. It has all the examples.
> > >

> > Sorry, but I can't find any end-user examples on the wiki. They are all
> > programming examples in C and python. Are you saying that the simple
> > "hidd --search" tool call has been replaced by having to write a whole
> > python program? That's seems like quite a regression. Or maybe I am
> > not able to find the appropriate page?
> >
> > Martin

by Jared Greenwald

Someone else in #bluez-users pointed me to a page on this wiki with a
bunch of little python scripts that would do the connection from
bluetooth to device and vice-versa (HOWTO/InputDevices).

I find it interesting that someone on this list would explicitly say
to not use the hidd commands, but people readily offer these python
scripts as fixes. If these are so ubiquitous, why aren't they already
part of the bluez-utils package?

In any case, I tried running the dbus-send commands that are listed
next to the python scripts and got nowhere.

$dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez \
/org/bluez org.bluez.Manager.ActivateService string:input
string ":1.8"

$ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
/org/bluez/input org.bluez.input.Manager.CreateDevice
string:00:07:61:48:FC:DB
Error org.bluez.input.Error.AlreadyExists: Input Already exists

This can't be good. Maybe this is around from me trying to run hidd --search?

$ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=":1.8"
/org/bluez/input/mouse0 org.bluez.input.Device.Connect
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with
signature "" on interface "org.bluez.input.Device" doesn't exist

I'm not sure I understand what this error is telling me, but I assume
that it's not going to be good.

Thoughts?

-Jared

On 9/24/07, Martin Stolle <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:12:34AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Martin,

> > > Thanks, I didn't know that. how do you solve the problem at hand then?
> > > What are the commands to use for the new input service? Which man pages
> > > should I look at?
> >
> > checkout wiki.bluez.org. It has all the examples.
> >

> Sorry, but I can't find any end-user examples on the wiki. They are all
> programming examples in C and python. Are you saying that the simple
> "hidd --search" tool call has been replaced by having to write a whole
> python program? That's seems like quite a regression. Or maybe I am
> not able to find the appropriate page?
>
> Martin

by Martin Stolle

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 12:14:50AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> [...]

> keyboard between all the --search and one last time before the
> --connect.
>
> Martin
>

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:13:47PM -0400, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> > I've had this setup for a year or so. A nice bluetooth mouse and
> > Kubuntu. Currently, I'm running kubuntu 7.10 with the 2.6.22-12
> > kernel and blueZ 3.19-0ubuntu1.
> >
> > Every time I upgrade my kernel, I've had to re-establish my mouse's
> > bluetooth connection by power-cycling it or hitting the reset button
> > while running hiddev --search. This time, when I upgraded, I cannot
> > get the mouse to re-establish a connection. I'm able to get hiddev to
> > "see" the mac of my mouse, but it times out on getting any actual
> > information that would make it usable as an input device.
> >
> > Any thoughts or suggestions that people can think of, would be great.

by Martin Stolle