2005-03-16 10:40:53

by Peter Stephenson

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Multiple Bluetooth connections

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> this is a hardware limit and I don't know of any chip that is capable of
> establishing two connections at the same time. From what I know this
> will never be possible, but you should better ask a radio/baseband
> expert for a correct answer.

Below HCI, it won't work in a typical set up. The usual scan mode is "R1
page scan repetition mode" where the device scans at least (and usually
only) every 1.28 seconds, usually for 18 slots. If you try to page
two devices at once, you run the risk of switching to paging the other
device at exactly the short window you need to pick up one device,
and hence miss it altogether. You can do it when the devices are in
"R0" (continuous scan) but then connection time should be more or
less instantaneous anyway and there's no gain. So it's not supported
by HCI_Create_Connection.

Once you have an ACL connection, it should be entirely possible to
negotiate multiple channels over the top of it, depending on the
software.

pws

the system manager.