2004-11-02 06:06:20

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth capture and client manager

Hi bluez userz,
I am working on a BT project and am trying to capture bluetooth packets.

I have done a simple test, where in using hcidump i have captured the
packets and saved it to a file. I have then fed the file to
ethereal.........which gives limited and insufficient information like
data bytes, frame number etc. I am not able to retrieve any header
contents

Is it possible to capture and analyse BT packets from the air
interface, calculate the data transfer rate, etc...something similar
to a 802.11 client manager???? Please do send the links ..if some work
has already taken place on this front.

Thanx and regards,
manjunath

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Manjunath,

> I am working on a BT project and am trying to capture bluetooth packets.
>
> I have done a simple test, where in using hcidump i have captured the
> packets and saved it to a file. I have then fed the file to
> ethereal.........which gives limited and insufficient information like
> data bytes, frame number etc. I am not able to retrieve any header
> contents

I never finished the Bluetooth decoder for Ethereal and so it is only
capable of reading the hcidump format.

> Is it possible to capture and analyse BT packets from the air
> interface, calculate the data transfer rate, etc...something similar
> to a 802.11 client manager???? Please do send the links ..if some work
> has already taken place on this front.

For getting air packets you need a protocol analyzer. For a client
manager you can use the link quality, RSSI etc. and you should look the
HCI part of the specification, because everything you can do is in
there.

Regards

Marcel