2004-11-08 05:33:16

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: [Bluez-users] tcp/ip with bluetooth

hi all,
i have a tcp/ip client-server program (i.e) the server is listening
and the client sends information.....right now I am communicating over
the wired network. I want them to communicate over bluetooth.
Is this done by enabling ppp over rfcomm?? if yes, then what am i
suppossed to install???? some rfcomm package..
What about using the bluez-pan package???

hope someone can help me out..

regards,
manjunath

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] tcp/ip with bluetooth

Hi Manjunath,

> I got the Pan up and running and am just thinking of a way to measure
> the bluetooth data transfer rate.........how do i do it????
>
> I was also trying to bring up the rfcomm socket....but am facing some problem...
> 1. 'sdptool browse bd_addr' shows 'SDP Server' and 'Public Browse
> Group Root', 'LAP' but no other services????I was looking for dial-up
> networking.......how do i add new services??

write the profile implementation.

> 2. i run the 'rfcomm bind' command and then try 'rfcomm connect' and i
> get an error 'Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Resource temporarily
> unavailable'. I read in one of the mails where you have said that
> bind and connect, both are not required?? Hope u can again help me
> with this....

What you are searching for is "rfcomm listen ...", but this was not what
I meant with replacing TCP with RFCOMM. If you want TCP/IP then you can
use pand or dund for doing all the work, but you can also use the RFCOMM
socket directly like you use a TCP socket.

Regards

Marcel

by Manjunath Prabhu

hi marcel and co,
thanx for the reply. Its a big big help.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:24:38 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Manjunath,
>
> > i have a tcp/ip client-server program (i.e) the server is listening
> > and the client sends information.....right now I am communicating over
> > the wired network. I want them to communicate over bluetooth.
> > Is this done by enabling ppp over rfcomm?? if yes, then what am i
> > suppossed to install???? some rfcomm package..
> > What about using the bluez-pan package???
>
> you can establish a TCP/IP connection with the PAN profile or LAN access
> using PPP, but you can also change your program to use the RFCOMM socket
> instead of the TCP socket.
>
> Use the latest kernel and the latest bluez-libs and bluez-utils and
> everything will be there.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann