2004-11-27 12:52:38

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: [Bluez-users] HCI connection_handle

Hi marcel,
1)
I am trying to use the "hcitool cmd" options and i have to pass the
connection_handle as a command parameter.
root:]#hcitool con
< ACL 00:0B:0D:31:D1:BA handle 7 state 1 lm MASTER

Assuming the connection_handle to be 7, i tried to read the rssi value

root:]#hcitool cmd 0x05 0x0005 0x0007
I get the following

< HCI Command: ogf 0x05, ocf 0x0005, plen 1
07
> HCI Event: 0x0e plen 4
01 05 14 12

This means there is some error as i have got 12 instead of 00......

Can you tell me what the problem is??

2) I tried using the test mode commands and I am simulatameously
running the hcidump, which prints a unknown command type. I am just
presuming that the commands might be working alright , only that
hcidump doesn't decipher the test commands. Am i right??

3) I was also trying to understand the hcitool.c code , can you tell
me where the functions "hci_for_each_device" and the like defined?

Thanks once again,
Regards,
Manjunath

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] HCI connection_handle

Hi Marcel,
I still have a lot of doubts on my previous question 2.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:58:49 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Manjunath,
>

> > I am trying to use the "hcitool cmd" options and i have to pass the
> > connection_handle as a command parameter.
> > root:]#hcitool con
> > < ACL 00:0B:0D:31:D1:BA handle 7 state 1 lm MASTER
> >
> > Assuming the connection_handle to be 7, i tried to read the rssi value
> >
> > root:]#hcitool cmd 0x05 0x0005 0x0007
> > I get the following
> >
> > < HCI Command: ogf 0x05, ocf 0x0005, plen 1
> > 07
> > > HCI Event: 0x0e plen 4
> > 01 05 14 12
> >
> > This means there is some error as i have got 12 instead of 00......
> >
> > Can you tell me what the problem is??
>
> the problem is that you should read the HCI specification if you wanna
> play with the "hcitool cmd ..." call. The handle is a 16 bit value. And
> btw error code 0x12 means invalid parameters.
>
> However the RSSI can be read with "hcitool rssi ..." and this code also
> does the handle lookup for you.
>
> > 2) I tried using the test mode commands and I am simulatameously
> > running the hcidump, which prints a unknown command type. I am just
> > presuming that the commands might be working alright , only that
> > hcidump doesn't decipher the test commands. Am i right??
>
> What version of hcidump do you use? Show the undecoded output to us.

I am using hcidump ver 1.15.

I am trying to set my dongle for a local loopback test. I try with a
"Enable device under test command"
root]# hcitool cmd 0x06 0x0003

Hci dump output is

< HCI Command: Unknown (0x06|0x0003) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
01 03 18 00

I am not getting an error. I try to write the "write loopback method
command" and enable local loopback.

root]# hcitool cmd 0x06 0x0002 0x01

Hci dump output is
< HCI Command: Unknown (0x06|0x0002) plen 1
01
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
01 02 18 11

Status shows 11 which is "HCI unsupported feature". I am using a
version 1.1 anycom-120 usb dongle.
hciconfig -a gives the features as

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

Is this a problem with the firmware. Do i have to upgrade the
firmware and Can i do it??

I also have another doubt......how can i generate the LMP commands
required for the test mode....as in LMP_test_activate PDU and several
other LMP commands. The test methodology only speaks about the LMP
PDU's. How can i generate these LMP commands for the test scenarios.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Manjunath.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Manjunath,

> I am trying to use the "hcitool cmd" options and i have to pass the
> connection_handle as a command parameter.
> root:]#hcitool con
> < ACL 00:0B:0D:31:D1:BA handle 7 state 1 lm MASTER
>
> Assuming the connection_handle to be 7, i tried to read the rssi value
>
> root:]#hcitool cmd 0x05 0x0005 0x0007
> I get the following
>
> < HCI Command: ogf 0x05, ocf 0x0005, plen 1
> 07
> > HCI Event: 0x0e plen 4
> 01 05 14 12
>
> This means there is some error as i have got 12 instead of 00......
>
> Can you tell me what the problem is??

the problem is that you should read the HCI specification if you wanna
play with the "hcitool cmd ..." call. The handle is a 16 bit value. And
btw error code 0x12 means invalid parameters.

However the RSSI can be read with "hcitool rssi ..." and this code also
does the handle lookup for you.

> 2) I tried using the test mode commands and I am simulatameously
> running the hcidump, which prints a unknown command type. I am just
> presuming that the commands might be working alright , only that
> hcidump doesn't decipher the test commands. Am i right??

What version of hcidump do you use? Show the undecoded output to us.

> 3) I was also trying to understand the hcitool.c code , can you tell
> me where the functions "hci_for_each_device" and the like defined?

Actually you can do this by yourself. Look at the bluez-libs and
bluez-utils source code. Maybe using grep is a good idea ;)

Regards

Marcel