2007-10-06 18:51:34

by [email protected]

Subject: [Bluez-users] How do I get a bluetooth headset working?

I have successfully setup a bluetooth usb dongle. I can transfer files
to a sony ericsson phone. Now I want to take the configuration one step
further and use the bluetooth headset that comes with the mobile phone
for voip communication through skype.

I really would like to get this working because then I can update the
Gentoo Linux Bluetooth Guide
( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/bluetooth-guide.xml )
and that way help other people to get this working :)

My hardware
Anycom bluetooth USB-adapter with Broadcom chipset
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2122 Broadcom Corp.

Headset
Sony Ericsson HBH-PV702

OS
Gentoo Linux 2007

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Aniruddha

by [email protected]

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 08:09 -0300, Manuel Naranjo wrote:
> Aniruddha,
>
> > > pcm.bluetooth {
> > > type bluetooth
> > > device 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > > }
> > >

> A very stupid question, had you changed 00:11:22:33:44:55 for your own
> headset bluetooth address right?
>
> Skype works, it's not the best but it works, it might crash eventually
> when using bluetooth. But I had been able to use it.
>
> Manuel

Yes I had changed the address ;) Thanks for the suggestion and letting
me know Skype works!

by Manuel Naranjo

Aniruddha,

> > pcm.bluetooth {
> > type bluetooth
> > device 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > }

A very stupid question, had you changed 00:11:22:33:44:55 for your own
headset bluetooth address right?

Skype works, it's not the best but it works, it might crash eventually
when using bluetooth. But I had been able to use it.

Manuel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Aniruddha,

> I did make a texfile in my home directory named '.asoundrc' with the
> following input (I obtained the address through hcitool)
>
> pcm.bluetooth {
> type bluetooth
> device 00:11:22:33:44:55
> }
>
> But how do I proceed using it with Skype?

you need to also change the default PCM or select the Bluetooth headset
within Skype. However as Brad mentioned earlier, Skype might not work
since it has a broken usage of the ALSA interface.

Regards

Marcel

by [email protected]

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 10:43 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Aniruddha,
>
> > Thank you for answer. I have read the manual, unfortunately it lists
> > only commands without an explanation. Therefor I find it really
> > difficult to grasp.
>
> and if you read it carefully enough, then you would have realized that
> setting up your .asoundrc with the BD_ADDR of your headset would be
> enough to make this work.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Aniruddha,

> Thank you for answer. I have read the manual, unfortunately it lists
> only commands without an explanation. Therefor I find it really
> difficult to grasp.

and if you read it carefully enough, then you would have realized that
setting up your .asoundrc with the BD_ADDR of your headset would be
enough to make this work.

Regards

Marcel

by [email protected]

Thank you for answer. I have read the manual, unfortunately it lists
only commands without an explanation. Therefor I find it really
difficult to grasp.

I tried entering the commands from the 'Headset profile' to no avail:

$ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply
--dest=":X.Y" /org/bluez/audio org.bluez.audio.Manager.CreateHeadset
string:00:11:22:33:44:55
Code:
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :X.Y was not
provided by any .service files

$ dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply
--dest=":HBH-PV702" /org/bluez/audio

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 21:41 -0600, Brad Midgley wrote:
> Aniruddha
>
> read up in http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices
>
> skype may not work yet (it is pretty brutal with the alsa api) but
> things have been improving a lot recently in the driver.
>
> Brad
>
> On 10/6/07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I have successfully setup a bluetooth usb dongle. I can transfer files
> > to a sony ericsson phone. Now I want to take the configuration one step
> > further and use the bluetooth headset that comes with the mobile phone
> > for voip communication through skype.
> >
> > I really would like to get this working because then I can update the
> > Gentoo Linux Bluetooth Guide
> > ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/bluetooth-guide.xml )
> > and that way help other people to get this working :)
> >

> > My hardware
> > Anycom bluetooth USB-adapter with Broadcom chipset
> > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2122 Broadcom Corp.
> >
> > Headset
> > Sony Ericsson HBH-PV702
> >
> > OS
> > Gentoo Linux 2007