2005-08-14 03:31:08

by Robert Brewer

Subject: [Bluez-users] pairing problem - please help

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I successfully paired my headset with my broadcom dongle
under bluez. I was able to l2ping the headset, and btsco was able to make
the headset ring. I couldn't get audio data through, but now I know that
is because bluez doesn't support SCO for broadcom.

Now I can't get the headset paired. The past week I've been pairing the he=
adset
with the same dongle under WinXP. Any thoughts on what is going wrong?
Here is what I'm doing:

<plug in dongle>

# hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:02:72:C4:25:E4 ACL MTU: 377:10 SCO MTU: 16:0
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:1605 acl:0 sco:0 events:84 errors:0
TX bytes:693 acl:0 sco:0 commands:43 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xfe 0x0d 0x38 0x08 0x08 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'wiz-0'
Class: 0x3e0100
Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0xc LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver: 0x30=
9
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)

<turn on headset in pairing mode>

# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:0D:44:37:57:F2 Logitech HS02-V07

# hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
00:0D:44:37:57:F2 clock offset: 0x488c class: 0x200404

# l2ping 00:0D:44:37:57:F2
Can't connect: Permission denied

At no time does a PIN request window pop up. I know that when I previously
got it to work a PIN window popped up and I type in the headset's PIN.
I thought
that sometime during the scan or inq command the PIN window would pop up
and I would be paired.

Here is the hcidump log that happens during the previous session:

# hcidump -X -V
HCI sniffer - Bluetooth packet analyzer ver 1.23
< HCI Command: Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 252
Read Local Name (0x03|0x0014) ncmd 1
status 0x00 name 'wiz-0'
< HCI Command: Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 7
Read Class of Device (0x03|0x0023) ncmd 1
status 0x00 class 0x3e0100
< HCI Command: Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) plen 0
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 12
Read Local Version Information (0x04|0x0001) ncmd 1
status 0x00
HCI Version: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Revision: 0xc
LMP Version: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subversion: 0x309
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)
< HCI Command: Inquiry (0x01|0x0001) plen 5
lap 0x9e8b33 len 8 num 0
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
Inquiry (0x01|0x0001) status 0x00 ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Inquiry Result (0x02) plen 15
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 mode 1 clkoffset 0x488d class 0x200404
> HCI Event: Inquiry Result (0x02) plen 15
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 mode 1 clkoffset 0x488c class 0x200404
> HCI Event: Inquiry Result (0x02) plen 15
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 mode 1 clkoffset 0x488c class 0x200404
> HCI Event: Inquiry Result (0x02) plen 15
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 mode 1 clkoffset 0x488c class 0x200404
> HCI Event: Inquiry Complete (0x01) plen 1
status 0x00
< HCI Command: Remote Name Request (0x01|0x0019) plen 10
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 mode 1 clkoffset 0x488c (valid)
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
Remote Name Request (0x01|0x0019) status 0x00 ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Remote Name Req Complete (0x07) plen 255
status 0x00 bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 name 'Logitech HS02-V07'
< HCI Command: Create Connection (0x01|0x0005) plen 13
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 ptype 0xcc18 rswitch 0x01 clkoffset 0x488c (va=
lid)
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
Create Connection (0x01|0x0005) status 0x00 ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Link Key Request (0x17) plen 6
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2
< HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply (0x01|0x000b) plen 22
bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 key 21751F10ED96C2A142D28C142C725168
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
Link Key Request Reply (0x01|0x000b) ncmd 1
status 0x00 bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2
> HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
status 0x05 handle 6 bdaddr 00:0D:44:37:57:F2 type ACL encrypt 0x00
Error: Authentication Failure

Here are my config files:

/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf:
#
# HCI daemon configuration file.
#
# $Id: hcid.conf,v 1.7 2004/12/13 14:16:03 holtmann Exp $
#

# HCId options
options {
# Automatically initialize new devices
# autoinit no;
autoinit yes;

# Security Manager mode
# none - Security manager disabled
# auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
# user - Always ask user for a PIN
#
security auto;

# Pairing mode
# none - Pairing disabled
# multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
# once - Pair once and deny successive attempts
pairing multi;

# PIN helper
# pin_helper /usr/bin/bluez-pin;
pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;

# D-Bus PIN helper
#dbus_pin_helper;
}

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
# Local device name
# %d - device id
# %h - host name
name "%h-%d";

# Local device class
class 0x3e0100;

# Default packet type
#pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

# Inquiry and Page scan
iscan enable; pscan enable;

# Default link mode
# none - no specific policy
# accept - always accept incoming connections
# master - become master on incoming connections,
# deny role switch on outgoing connections
lm accept;

# Default link policy
# none - no specific policy
# rswitch - allow role switch
# hold - allow hold mode
# sniff - allow sniff mode
# park - allow park mode
lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;

# Authentication and Encryption (Security Mode 3)
#auth enable;
#encrypt enable;
}

/etc/bluetooth/pin:
1234

How do I get my headset to pair? Why won't it work now when it worked
previously? Thanks!

-Rob
--=20
Robert W. Brewer

by Robert Brewer

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] pairing problem - please help

A new post on bluez-devel has answered my question.
The summary is /var/lib/bluetooth/<bd-addr>/linkkeys needed
to be removed. That solved the problem for me, I am=20
now able to pair my headset under Linux again.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3D7999370&forum_id=
=3D1881

Unfortunately Logitech support has been of very little help
for my headset... they pointed me to their standard FAQ list
for WinXP... finally I dragged out of them that the headset
can only pair with 1 device at a time, but no more technical
details than that.

-Rob
--=20
Robert W. Brewer

by Charles Majola

Robert Brewer wrote:

>I'm not sure I ever had an /etc/bluetooth/link_key file.
>I've got an email into Logitech support to find out more
>about it pairing abilities and any reset capability... but
>my guess is the best I can do is remove the battery. I'm
>not certain that will clear its memory though.
>
>If I tried to find the PIN and hostname used on the Windows
>side would that help?
>
>Thanks for the tips.
>
>-Rob
>
>On 8/14/05, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Robert,
>>

>>>A few weeks ago I successfully paired my headset with my broadcom dongle
>>>under bluez. I was able to l2ping the headset, and btsco was able to make
>>>the headset ring. I couldn't get audio data through, but now I know that
>>>is because bluez doesn't support SCO for broadcom.
>>>
>>>Now I can't get the headset paired. The past week I've been pairing the headset
>>>with the same dongle under WinXP. Any thoughts on what is going wrong?
>>>

>>Several people have had similar issues. Sometimes, removing
>>/etc/bluetooth/link_key works since it resets the pairing. Sometimes it
>>doesn't help at all.
>>
>>Is it true that the failed attempts are all on dualboot machines that
>>have used windows to pair to the headset? Maybe the headset remembers
>>the bdaddr but gets confused by the fact that the stored credentials
>>under linux don't match the last pairing in windows. That's about the
>>only idea I've had on it and I don't see much discussion here about
>>what's going on...
>>
>>Some headsets remember multiple pairings. Does yours have a reset,
>>something more drastic than just putting it in pairing mode? My iTech
>>set has a reset but I've come to believe they put that in there because
>>the headset completely locks up and becomes unresponsive on occasion :(
>>
>>Brad

TOP POSTING ? *sigh*

Actually I think his probem is that fact that /etc/bluetooth/pin reads
"1234" and it actually should read "PIN:1234". I noticed that from the
sources after my fone stopped pairng with my laptop. Removing the
link_key file and fixing the above should work.

--
chmj

http://www.sourcecode.za.net
http://www.ubuntulinux.org

by Robert Brewer

I'm not sure I ever had an /etc/bluetooth/link_key file. =20
I've got an email into Logitech support to find out more
about it pairing abilities and any reset capability... but
my guess is the best I can do is remove the battery. I'm
not certain that will clear its memory though.

If I tried to find the PIN and hostname used on the Windows
side would that help?

Thanks for the tips.

-Rob

On 8/14/05, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert,
>=20
> > A few weeks ago I successfully paired my headset with my broadcom dongl=
> > under bluez. I was able to l2ping the headset, and btsco was able to m=
ake
> > the headset ring. I couldn't get audio data through, but now I know th=
at
> > is because bluez doesn't support SCO for broadcom.
> >
> > Now I can't get the headset paired. The past week I've been pairing th=
e headset
> > with the same dongle under WinXP. Any thoughts on what is going wrong?
>=20
> Several people have had similar issues. Sometimes, removing
> /etc/bluetooth/link_key works since it resets the pairing. Sometimes it
> doesn't help at all.
>=20
> Is it true that the failed attempts are all on dualboot machines that
> have used windows to pair to the headset? Maybe the headset remembers
> the bdaddr but gets confused by the fact that the stored credentials
> under linux don't match the last pairing in windows. That's about the
> only idea I've had on it and I don't see much discussion here about
> what's going on...
>=20
> Some headsets remember multiple pairings. Does yours have a reset,
> something more drastic than just putting it in pairing mode? My iTech
> set has a reset but I've come to believe they put that in there because
> the headset completely locks up and becomes unresponsive on occasion :(
>=20
> Brad
>=20
>=20