2004-01-30 09:40:44

by Matthias Thomae

Subject: [Bluez-users] cmtp, capidrv and kernel 2.6

Hi Marcel et al,

could anyone give a hint what changes are necessary from kernel 2.4.X to
2.6.X to get an isdn dialup setup via cmtp and capidrv (i4l)?

I have a very well working setup for 2.4.22-mh2, essentially following
Marcel's (BTW excellent :) instructions from
http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/isdn.html and had a quick try
using the same setup on an unpatched 2.6.2-rc2 vanilla kernel, getting
the following symptoms:

- cmtp and kernelcapi are loaded and connecting to an AP-X works
- capiinfo and capiinit complain about not being able to load
kernelcapi, although it is already loaded
- capidrv isn't loaded automatically any more
- "/etc/init.d/isdnutils start" complains about /dev/isdnctrl (because
of missing capidrv?)
- when modprobing capidrv the console is flooded with messages

I use debian/unstable with the latest isdn and capi packages (3.3-7).

Do I need any kernel patches (e.g. the i4l patch from
http://rcum.uni-mb.si/~uvp00845b/)?
Do I have to modify the module loading definitions in /etc/modutils?
Does pppdcapiplugin work without additional kernel patches?

Regards.
Matthias

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] cmtp, capidrv and kernel 2.6

Hi Matthias,

> could anyone give a hint what changes are necessary from kernel 2.4.X to
> 2.6.X to get an isdn dialup setup via cmtp and capidrv (i4l)?

the I4L and CAPI ISDN subsystem of 2.6 must be resynced and I hope
Karsten Keil is doing this very soon. For now apply the i4l-t9bk22 patch
and try again.

> I have a very well working setup for 2.4.22-mh2, essentially following
> Marcel's (BTW excellent :) instructions from
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/isdn.html and had a quick try
> using the same setup on an unpatched 2.6.2-rc2 vanilla kernel, getting
> the following symptoms:
>
> - cmtp and kernelcapi are loaded and connecting to an AP-X works

You have to load capi.ko by hand and mount the capifs.

> - capiinfo and capiinit complain about not being able to load
> kernelcapi, although it is already loaded

Known problem, because the new modprobe complains with an error if a
module is already loaded. The CAPI utils needs to be patched.

> - capidrv isn't loaded automatically any more

Can't tell you why, but simply load it :)

> - "/etc/init.d/isdnutils start" complains about /dev/isdnctrl (because
> of missing capidrv?)

Maybe the scripts need a little bit 2.6 cleanup.

> - when modprobing capidrv the console is flooded with messages

The capidrv itself is an CAPI application and the 2.6 CAPI subsystem is
a little bit talky, because the debug stuff is on by default.

> I use debian/unstable with the latest isdn and capi packages (3.3-7).

With the i4l-t9bk22 the CAPI part should work perfect.

> Do I need any kernel patches (e.g. the i4l patch from
> http://rcum.uni-mb.si/~uvp00845b/)?

Yes.

> Do I have to modify the module loading definitions in /etc/modutils?

Not that I know of.

> Does pppdcapiplugin work without additional kernel patches?

No.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Matthias,

> > the I4L and CAPI ISDN subsystem of 2.6 must be resynced and I hope
> > Karsten Keil is doing this very soon. For now apply the i4l-t9bk22 patch
> > and try again.
>
> Thank you for your hint, I tried again and it seems to work now :)))

the full ISDN update for 2.6 is much bigger.

ftp://ftp.isdn4linux.de/pub/isdn4linux/kernel/v2.6

Regards

Marcel

by Matthias Thomae

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>>could anyone give a hint what changes are necessary from kernel 2.4.X to
>>2.6.X to get an isdn dialup setup via cmtp and capidrv (i4l)?
>

> the I4L and CAPI ISDN subsystem of 2.6 must be resynced and I hope
> Karsten Keil is doing this very soon. For now apply the i4l-t9bk22 patch
> and try again.

Thank you for your hint, I tried again and it seems to work now :)))

>>- cmtp and kernelcapi are loaded and connecting to an AP-X works
>
> You have to load capi.ko by hand and mount the capifs.

Ok, that's one that I missed.

>>- capidrv isn't loaded automatically any more
>
> Can't tell you why, but simply load it :)

Well, I had to learn that there is the directory /etc/modprobe.d first...

>>- "/etc/init.d/isdnutils start" complains about /dev/isdnctrl (because
>>of missing capidrv?)
>
> Maybe the scripts need a little bit 2.6 cleanup.

Don't think so, that was due to the missing capidrv.

>>I use debian/unstable with the latest isdn and capi packages (3.3-7).
>
> With the i4l-t9bk22 the CAPI part should work perfect.

Seems to :)

>>Do I have to modify the module loading definitions in /etc/modutils?
>
> Not that I know of.

Well, I copied them to the new /etc/modprobe.d, e.g.:
alias char-major-43 capidrv
alias char-major-44 capidrv
alias char-major-45 capidrv

>>Does pppdcapiplugin work without additional kernel patches?
>
> No.

But it seems to with the i4l-t9bk22 patch :)

Cheerio
Matthias