2004-05-27 23:50:17

by Joseph Sirucka

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluetooth and gps

Hi All

I have a bluetooth gps unit and would like to know how do I get about
connecting the unit to my linux machine.

I can get the usb bluetooth working with

bfusb and hci_usb drivers with others like l2cap, bluez etc

I can hcitool scan the bluetooth unit.

what do I need to make a connection to the unit.

regards

Joseph

by Gene Imes

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bluetooth and gps

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 18:50, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a bluetooth gps unit and would like to know how do I get about
> connecting the unit to my linux machine.
>
> I can get the usb bluetooth working with
>
> bfusb and hci_usb drivers with others like l2cap, bluez etc
>
> I can hcitool scan the bluetooth unit.
>
> what do I need to make a connection to the unit.
>
> regards
>
> Joseph

rfcomm -h shows the following:

<dev> is rfcommX where X is 0,1,2... probably 0

<bdaddr> is the output of your device determined by hcitool scan. In my
case is:
root@tr1a:~# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:02:C7:15:7A:2F BTGPS 157A2F

<channel> is 0-13 depending on your location

So the command for me would be

rfcomm bind 0 00:02:C7:15:7A:2F 1

My /etc/bluetooth rfcomm.conf looks thus:

rfcomm0 {
# Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device
#device 11:22:33:44:55:66;
device 00:02:C7:15:7A:2F;

# RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 1;

# Description of the connection
comment "Example Bluetooth device";
}

So if you type 'rfcomm bind 0' your device should be connected. Then say
perhaps you have gpsdrive. Click the 'Start GPSD' button and you should
be connected.

Good luck.

Ciao,

Gene

by yaboo

Michael

can you please give me a dummy guide on howto.

e,g. please tell what commands you need to type.

regards

Joseph

Michal Semler wrote:

>user rfcomm as serial port and connect via it to ups using gpsd
>
>Michal
>
>On Friday 28 of May 2004 01:50, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
>

>>Hi All
>>
>>I have a bluetooth gps unit and would like to know how do I get about
>>connecting the unit to my linux machine.
>>
>>I can get the usb bluetooth working with
>>
>>bfusb and hci_usb drivers with others like l2cap, bluez etc
>>
>>I can hcitool scan the bluetooth unit.
>>
>>what do I need to make a connection to the unit.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Joseph

by CIJOML