2004-06-07 06:29:01

by Michael Schmidt

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Can you spoof/forge Bluetooth Devices/Address?

Hi David,

> Does anyone know if you are able to spoof or forge a Bluetooth Device
> Address? I am wanting to pick up Bluetooth comms at one point and forward it
> on to another device but I am wanting the repeating devices to act like the
> original sending devices. Eg. If I have a phone that wants to communicate
> with my PC, I can have 2 repeaters, one spoofed as the PC and one as the
> phone.
>
> phone <-BT-> Repeater(spoof PC) <-Not BT-> Repeater(spoof phone) <-BT-> PC

It is possible to change the BD_ADDR of certain BT devices. This
requires the use of "undocumented", vendor-proprietary commands. In the
source code of the Axis 'OpenBT' Bluetooth stack you can find how to do
this for certain Ericsson and CSR-based devices.

However, you need to perform a full reset of the device in order to make
the change effective. Also, a device (at least the ones that I know) can
only have one address at a time. In other words, the BD_ADDR cannot be
changed on a per-packet basis.

This is probably not want you want.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany