2004-09-08 20:48:31

by Rafael Vidal Aroca

Subject: [Bluez-users] Power level & Scan Timing

Hello,

i'm playing with my dbt-120 d-link usb dongle, and i'm not managing
to do some things i wanted...

1) I want to decrease the power or my dongle, cause de devices work
over 20m....i want they to be detected just near the computer. I know
it's possible, but could not find documentaion...so the question is: how
can i decreate the power of my bluetooth adapter?

2) I'm using hcitool scan to constantly detect if my ipaq is near my
desktop. It seems to be really slow (from 10 to 15 seconds to
scan)...can this time be reduced? Does bluez do some kind of cache? (i
ask that because i can turn my ipaq of, and hcitool scan will not only
detect my ipaq anymore in about 12 seconds...)

thanks
Rafael.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Power level & Scan Timing

Hi Rafael,

> Now about the transmit/receive power, i know we can see what is
> set....but the windows software allows us to controle low high or
> medium...and as i understood from this mail this kind of configuration
> can not be set with bluez.
> Is it correct or is there a way to change the power level?

check the HCI part of the Bluetooth specification. If there is a command
for changing the power level, then it is possible otherwise it is not
possible using standard methods.

Regards

Marcel

by Rafael Vidal Aroca

With Rolf suggestion, i decreased the discovery time to about 5
seconds using lenght 2.

Now about the transmit/receive power, i know we can see what is
set....but the windows software allows us to controle low high or
medium...and as i understood from this mail this kind of configuration
can not be set with bluez.
Is it correct or is there a way to change the power level?

again, thanks.
Rafael.

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>Hi Rafael,
>

>> i'm playing with my dbt-120 d-link usb dongle, and i'm not managing
>>to do some things i wanted...
>>
>> 1) I want to decrease the power or my dongle, cause de devices work
>>over 20m....i want they to be detected just near the computer. I know
>>it's possible, but could not find documentaion...so the question is: how
>>can i decreate the power of my bluetooth adapter?
>>

>don't worry about it, because your Bluetooth chip does this automaticly
>and it is the job of the link manager.
>

>> 2) I'm using hcitool scan to constantly detect if my ipaq is near my
>>desktop. It seems to be really slow (from 10 to 15 seconds to
>>scan)...can this time be reduced? Does bluez do some kind of cache? (i
>>ask that because i can turn my ipaq of, and hcitool scan will not only
>>detect my ipaq anymore in about 12 seconds...)
>>

>Check the specification for periodic inquiry or use the HCI directly.
>You can also use the HCI socket directly and look for inquiry result
>events.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Rolf E. Thorup

Rafael Vidal Aroca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i'm playing with my dbt-120 d-link usb dongle, and i'm not managing
> to do some things i wanted...
[...]
> 2) I'm using hcitool scan to constantly detect if my ipaq is near my
> desktop. It seems to be really slow (from 10 to 15 seconds to
> scan)...can this time be reduced? Does bluez do some kind of cache? (i
> ask that because i can turn my ipaq of, and hcitool scan will not only
> detect my ipaq anymore in about 12 seconds...)

Try `hcitool scan --help` and you will see there is an option
--length=N. The default is 8 which according to the source of hcitool is
approx. 10 seconds. So try with something lower than 8.

From the help output you will also see a --flush option. Guess what
that does ;-)

Regards
Rolf