2004-12-20 17:08:48

by Hannes Reiff

Subject: [Bluez-users] File Transfer via Bluetooth

Hi All,

I'm using two pcs to create a pan connection so that both have access to the
web. No problems. But when it comes to exchange files between the the two pcs -
what has to be done? Is it possible to establish NFS over bluetooth? (I know
there are some threads - but no solutions).

Hope you can help me!

Thanks,

Hannes

by Jay W. Summet

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] File Transfer via Bluetooth

If you have the network already working, the hard part is done.

You just have to set up a server daemon on the computer you want to
"serve" files, and use the correct client on the "client" computer to
retrieve (or push) files. Each of your computers should have a static IP
(on the private PAN network). If you don't want to use IP addresses, you
can edit your /etc/hosts file to give them "real" names.

If you just want to be able to transfer a file here or there, I would
suggest using scp (secure copy, part of the SSH suite of tools). Make
sure that at least one of your computers (the server) is running sshd.
On the other computer (client) use scp to cpy files. (e.g. scp
"[email protected]:~/file_in_users_home_dir.txt ." will copy a
file from the server into the current directory (the trailing dot
specifies the current directory).

If you want to mount a filesystem, NSF (or Samba/SMB) would work as
well, but is a lot harder to setup/configure than scp.

Jay