2005-02-23 17:42:00

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Subject: [Bluez-users] Detect the type of remote device

Hi everybody:

While using the BlueZ API's we have discovered that it's difficult to
find which kind of device (brand and model) we are talking to. We are
writing an application that delivers an image to any device passing by,
taking into account its screen width, height and color depth, but
without any prior knowledge of the device.

Using WAP we have access to the HTTP headers from where you can parse
the User Agent Profile (UAProf), but we have not found any similar
function in Bluetooth. In fact, there is the PnPInformation Profile, but
nowadays is supported in very few devices.

Is there any function or mechanism to retrieve the UAProf data (or
anything similar) using the BlueZ library?

Thanks & regards,

Pedro Monjo

2005-02-24 10:52:12

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Detect the type of remote device

Hi Pedro,

> While using the BlueZ API's we have discovered that it's difficult to
> find which kind of device (brand and model) we are talking to. We are
> writing an application that delivers an image to any device passing
> by, taking into account its screen width, height and color depth, but
> without any prior knowledge of the device.
>
> Using WAP we have access to the HTTP headers from where you can parse
> the User Agent Profile (UAProf), but we have not found any similar
> function in Bluetooth. In fact, there is the PnPInformation Profile,
> but nowadays is supported in very few devices.
>
> Is there any function or mechanism to retrieve the UAProf data (or
> anything similar) using the BlueZ library?

actually the PnP stuff is available in Bluetooth and it is called Device
ID, but there are not a lot of devices that supports this.

Regards

Marcel