2005-03-01 08:45:31

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Subject: [Bluez-users] OBEX Push without pairing

Hi Marcel and everybody else in the list,

I am writing an applications that, among other things, sends an OBEX
Push to a device (e.g. a mobile phone). This is working fine, except for
one thing: whenever I send something to the device, the first time it
always asks for the PIN. I have seen that, for example, kbluetooth (the
KDE Bluetooth framework) and Impronto can send a file without pairing
first. How can I do that?

I am sure that I am missing something, but still have not found what. In
my application, I call to socket(), bind() to a local address
(BDADDR_ANY) and then connect(). It is at the connect stage that the
pairing takes place. I have been following the code of kbluetooth and
all I can see is that I am doing essentially the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pedro Monjo

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] OBEX Push without pairing

Hi Fred:

Fred Schaettgen wrote:
>On Tuesday 01 March 2005 11:14, Pedro Monjo Florit wrote:
>
>>but still no success. With the same computer and configuration and as a
>>normal user, if I send a file from KDE using kbtobexclient, it works as
>>expected (no PIN requested, just the confirmation for receiving the
>>message), so I believe that there is some other things to do. I guess
>>that it should be a library call or somthing similar. Any suggestions?
>>

>Are you sure that you are connecting to the rfcomm channel of the obex push
>service? All others require authentication usually. Maybe you should have a
>look at hcidump's output to see the difference and at which point the phone
>is requesting authentication.
>
>Fred

Thank you very much for your suggestion. It was indeed what you said. I
was sending the data to the service "OBEX File Transfer" instead of
"OBEX Object Push". Now it works exactly as expected.

Cheers,

Pedro

2005-03-01 10:50:57

by Fred Schaettgen

--
Fred Schaettgen

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pedro,

> > it seems that your device is working in security mode 3 and then
> > actually every ACL connection requests the authentication. The simple
> > answer is to use security mode 1/2.
> >
> Thank you for your fast answer.
>
> I am not quite sure about the security mode the device is. How can I
> get it? In any case, I have executed (as root):
>
> $ hciconfig hci0 noencrypt
> $ hciconfig hci0 noauth
>
> but still no success. With the same computer and configuration and as
> a normal user, if I send a file from KDE using kbtobexclient, it works
> as expected (no PIN requested, just the confirmation for receiving the
> message), so I believe that there is some other things to do. I guess
> that it should be a library call or somthing similar. Any suggestions?

run "hcidump -X -V" as root at the same time and show us the result.

Regards

Marcel

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi Pedro,
>

>>I am writing an applications that, among other things, sends an OBEX
>>Push to a device (e.g. a mobile phone). This is working fine, except for
>>one thing: whenever I send something to the device, the first time it
>>always asks for the PIN. I have seen that, for example, kbluetooth (the
>>KDE Bluetooth framework) and Impronto can send a file without pairing
>>first. How can I do that?
>>
>>I am sure that I am missing something, but still have not found what. In
>>my application, I call to socket(), bind() to a local address
>>(BDADDR_ANY) and then connect(). It is at the connect stage that the
>>pairing takes place. I have been following the code of kbluetooth and
>>all I can see is that I am doing essentially the same.
>>

>it seems that your device is working in security mode 3 and then
>actually every ACL connection requests the authentication. The simple
>answer is to use security mode 1/2.

Thank you for your fast answer.

I am not quite sure about the security mode the device is. How can I get
it? In any case, I have executed (as root):

$ hciconfig hci0 noencrypt
$ hciconfig hci0 noauth

but still no success. With the same computer and configuration and as a
normal user, if I send a file from KDE using kbtobexclient, it works as
expected (no PIN requested, just the confirmation for receiving the
message), so I believe that there is some other things to do. I guess
that it should be a library call or somthing similar. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pedro

2005-03-01 09:01:27

by Marcel Holtmann