2005-04-28 06:00:50

by Michal Nowikowski

Subject: [Bluez-users] access restrictions after passing PIN

Hello

I've got a question. Is there any restriction of accessing services
after passing the pairing procedure? I think about situation when both
devices are paired and I suppose that now there is no restriction of
use of any services like serial port or any other. So is there a
danger of overuse of these services (i.e. in mobile phones it is
possible to manage them seemlessly through serial port from PC)?

Thanks in advance
Godfryd

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Timeouts

Hi Pedro,

> I am having some trouble with the timeouts of connections under Bluetooth.
>
> My first concern is the initial connection timeout. I try to send a file
> to a mobile phone using OpenOBEX (I use the BtOBEX_TransportConnect()).
> If the owner of the mobile phone ignores the message that appears in the
> mobile's screen (asking him/her whether to accept the connection), after
> 30 seconds the connection fails with "Resource temporarily unavailable"
> (errno=11). How can I modify this 30 seconds?

you need to integrate a connect timeout (SABM timeout) into the RFCOMM
kernel code.

> I can control the page timeout issuing "hciconfig hci0 pageto 8192",
> that will limit the time for (correct me if I am wrong) completing the
> HCI connection to about 5 seconds. But my problem is at a higher level
> (RFCOMM), since the device is whithin range and the HCI connection is
> done correctly. Is there any specific command in the bluez API to change
> the overall connect() timeout? Or is this a Linux issue (something like
> setsockopt())?

The page timeout is only for the underlaying ACL links. The RFCOMM stuff
is not configurable at the moment.

> The other problem is with the call sdp_service_search_attr_req(). There
> is one mobile that I am testing, that does not always respond (I am
> trying to track down the reason). This call takes about 2 minutes to
> give up so, in the previous scenario, it means that other clients are
> waiting for two minutes, something unacceptable. Is there a way to
> reduce this 2 minutes timeout?

I have no idea. I need the phone to play with it.

Regards

Marcel

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Subject: [Bluez-users] Timeouts

Hi Marcel & everybody else,

[...]

In other words, what I want is that if the user does not respond within
a few seconds (much less than 30 seconds), the connection times out. I
need that because I may have many clients waiting and I can only
establish a connection to one at a time and I do not want the other
clients to wait too long.

The other problem is with the call sdp_service_search_attr_req(). There
is one mobile that I am testing, that does not always respond (I am
trying to track down the reason). This call takes about 2 minutes to
give up so, in the previous scenario, it means that other clients are
waiting for two minutes, something unacceptable. Is there a way to
reduce this 2 minutes timeout?

Thanks & regards,

Pedro

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Godfryd,

> > > I've got a question. Is there any restriction of accessing services
> > > after passing the pairing procedure? I think about situation when both
> > > devices are paired and I suppose that now there is no restriction of
> > > use of any services like serial port or any other. So is there a
> > > danger of overuse of these services (i.e. in mobile phones it is
> > > possible to manage them seemlessly through serial port from PC)?
> >
> > this depends on if the device implements a policy manager or not. If it
> > uses a simple trust model based on the link key and the device address
> > then there are no other restrictions.
>
> Is this "policy manager" specified somehow by Bluetooth SIG? Or is
> this just a good will of e.g. cell phone manufaturers? I could find
> anything but security modes (1,2,3) about access restrictions, but it
> isn't what I need.

read the Bluetooth security whitepaper.

Regards

Marcel