2005-05-02 18:25:57

by Szilágyi Szilveszter

Subject: [Bluez-users] internal bluetooth on laptop

hi,
I have an ibm thinkpad laptop with an internal bluetooth
with my external usb-bluetooth key I can use my mobile phone
but I cannot use my internal bluetooth,
the hciconfig cannot find my internal bluetooth, so I cannot use
hciconfig hci0 up && hcitool scan && rfcomm connect 0 00:09:D9:26:70:46 2

because hciconfig gives error:
root:~# hciconfig hci0 up
Can't get device info: No such device

(with the external key
root:~# hciconfig hci0 up
root:~#
)

by Szilágyi Szilveszter

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] internal bluetooth on laptop

ok thanks I am on it (I followed the tpb but this does not work yet)

>Hi Szilagyi,
>

>>I understand, thanks Marcel Holtmann I am working on acpi
>>I installed tpb (and xosd as well, but these doesn't work
>>Is not fn+F5 just a hotkey, what runs a script?
>>If I knew the command, I would start it in a terminal.
>>So my corrected question is:
>>how to activate my bluetooth device?
>>

>I actually thought that I gave you the perfect hint with the ibm_acpi
>module, but you need to follow it. Google is your friend.
>
> http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/README
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Szilagyi,

> I understand, thanks Marcel Holtmann I am working on acpi
> I installed tpb (and xosd as well, but these doesn't work
> Is not fn+F5 just a hotkey, what runs a script?
> If I knew the command, I would start it in a terminal.
> So my corrected question is:
> how to activate my bluetooth device?

I actually thought that I gave you the perfect hint with the ibm_acpi
module, but you need to follow it. Google is your friend.

http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/README

Regards

Marcel

by Szilágyi Szilveszter

>Umpf... did you enable the Bluetooth device in your Thinkpad?

no, that is the good question :)

>The Thinkpads contain a USB Bluetooth device but it can be switched on
>and off using the "embedded controller",

what is this embedded controller

>i.e. usually a hot-key like
>FN-F5, will turn it on and off. You will also see the Bluetooth LED
>backlit Logo on the base of the LCD when the device is active.

I understand, thanks Marcel Holtmann I am working on acpi
I installed tpb (and xosd as well, but these doesn't work
Is not fn+F5 just a hotkey, what runs a script?
If I knew the command, I would start it in a terminal.
So my corrected question is:
how to activate my bluetooth device?

thanks

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Szilagyi,

> I have an ibm thinkpad laptop with an internal bluetooth
> with my external usb-bluetooth key I can use my mobile phone
> but I cannot use my internal bluetooth,
> the hciconfig cannot find my internal bluetooth, so I cannot use
> hciconfig hci0 up && hcitool scan && rfcomm connect 0 00:09:D9:26:70:46 2
>
> because hciconfig gives error:
> root:~# hciconfig hci0 up
> Can't get device info: No such device

check /proc/bus/usb/devices if the internal Bluetooth module is attached
to the USB bus. For most notebooks you can switch it on and off. Either
with a hardware switch or a software switch through ACPI (ibm_acpi).

Regards

Marcel

by Nils Faerber