2005-05-23 13:16:34

by Laurent Lesage

Subject: [Bluez-users] want to use M3000 bluetooth headset to receive voice calls on PC

Hi all,

I've been looking for hours on the net to see if the Plantronics M3000
can be used with a bluetooth dongle (DBT-120 seems good? Or Lynksys
USBBT100, or trendnet TBW-102UB?) under Linux OS
(I use Debian Sarge). I don't see this headset in the 'features' page Mr
Holtmann maintains. Does it mean it is not supported? it has the
advantage to be good quality,, and I can get one for cheap.

If not, what model could be used (I want it to use as headset fot PC
phone, to be able to receive VOIP calls, and more with Asterisk server).
It seems more difficult to make calls but it is not important for now.

Thank you for your attention

--=20
Laurent Lesage
assistant technique APEFE (coop=E9ration belge)
Responsable coordination DUT T=E9l=E9communications/R=E9seaux
D=E9partements G=E9nie Informatique/G=E9nie Electrique
Ecole Sup=E9rieure Polytechnique
BP 15915 Dakar - S=E9n=E9gal
Bureau : (+221) 825 75 28 - Cellulaire : (+221) 687 13 75
email : [email protected] - [email protected]

Merci d'=E9viter de m'envoyer des documents Word ou Powerpoint
(Voir http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html )

by Laurent Lesage

OK, whatever it is, I'l keep the list informed of my success or failed=20
trials, in a few weeks or so (I'm living in Africa and have to wait to=20
receive my ebay stuff!).

(excuse my bad english, if applicable!)

Laurent

Brad Midgley a =E9crit :

> Laurent,
>
> If you don't want to change the kernel, try yours first. It may or may=20
> not work, but everyone has been too busy to guarantee compatibility=20
> with past kernels.
>
> Brad
>
> Laurent Lesage wrote:
>
>> Good. It's more clear for me now.
>>
>> Last but not least : I use Debian Sarge with 2.6.8 kernel. It's said=20
>> on the blue-alsa project, that you must use 2.6.11 : must I? does it=20
>> work only this way?
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> Brad Midgley a =E9crit :
>>
>>> Laurent,
>>>
>>> any recent CSR based dongle, such as the dbt-120, should work well.
>>>
>>> yes, we have the headset working through /dev/dsp
>>>
>>> hands-free and headset are two bluetooth profiles. most new sets=20
>>> support both profiles. we use the headset profile which is simpler.
>>>
>>> brad

PC

by Brad Midgley

Laurent,

If you don't want to change the kernel, try yours first. It may or may
not work, but everyone has been too busy to guarantee compatibility with
past kernels.

Brad

Laurent Lesage wrote:
> Good. It's more clear for me now.
>
> Last but not least : I use Debian Sarge with 2.6.8 kernel. It's said on
> the blue-alsa project, that you must use 2.6.11 : must I? does it work
> only this way?
>
> Laurent
>
> Brad Midgley a ?crit :
>
>> Laurent,
>>
>> any recent CSR based dongle, such as the dbt-120, should work well.
>>
>> yes, we have the headset working through /dev/dsp
>>
>> hands-free and headset are two bluetooth profiles. most new sets
>> support both profiles. we use the headset profile which is simpler.
>>
>> brad
>>
>> Laurent Lesage wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Brad,
>>>
>>> thanks for this super-fast answer! I saw that link yesterday but as
>>> I'm newbie, this was not sure that differents models have the same
>>> components and the same features. What about the BT dongle to use
>>> with? And If I understand well (?!), the headset could be used like
>>> /dev/dsp ie like any audio device? Am I right? Excuse-me but I try to
>>> understant the difference between "hands-free" and "headset?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Laurent
>>>

>>> Brad Midgley a ?crit :

by Laurent Lesage

Good. It's more clear for me now.

Last but not least : I use Debian Sarge with 2.6.8 kernel. It's said on=20
the blue-alsa project, that you must use 2.6.11 : must I? does it work=20
only this way?

Laurent

Brad Midgley a =E9crit :

> Laurent,
>
> any recent CSR based dongle, such as the dbt-120, should work well.
>
> yes, we have the headset working through /dev/dsp
>
> hands-free and headset are two bluetooth profiles. most new sets=20
> support both profiles. we use the headset profile which is simpler.
>
> brad
>
> Laurent Lesage wrote:
>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> thanks for this super-fast answer! I saw that link yesterday but as=20
>> I'm newbie, this was not sure that differents models have the same=20
>> components and the same features. What about the BT dongle to use=20
>> with? And If I understand well (?!), the headset could be used like=20
>> /dev/dsp ie like any audio device? Am I right? Excuse-me but I try to=20
>> understant the difference between "hands-free" and "headset?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Laurent
>>

>> Brad Midgley a =E9crit :
>>
>>> Laurent,
>>>
>>> I have a list of headsets people have reported success with at=20
>>> http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> I've used the plantronics m2500 and I imagine the 3000 works the=20
>>> same. The 2500 is a real pain to turn on and off... hopefully they=20
>>> fixed that, or you just leave it on.
>>>
>>> Brad

by Brad Midgley

Laurent,

any recent CSR based dongle, such as the dbt-120, should work well.

yes, we have the headset working through /dev/dsp

hands-free and headset are two bluetooth profiles. most new sets support

Laurent Lesage wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> thanks for this super-fast answer! I saw that link yesterday but as I'm
> newbie, this was not sure that differents models have the same
> components and the same features. What about the BT dongle to use with?
> And If I understand well (?!), the headset could be used like /dev/dsp
> ie like any audio device? Am I right? Excuse-me but I try to understant
> the difference between "hands-free" and "headset?
>
> thanks
>
> Laurent
>

> Brad Midgley a ?crit :
>
>> Laurent,
>>
>> I have a list of headsets people have reported success with at
>> http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> I've used the plantronics m2500 and I imagine the 3000 works the same.
>> The 2500 is a real pain to turn on and off... hopefully they fixed
>> that, or you just leave it on.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> Laurent Lesage wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been looking for hours on the net to see if the Plantronics M3000
>>> can be used with a bluetooth dongle (DBT-120 seems good? Or Lynksys
>>> USBBT100, or trendnet TBW-102UB?) under Linux OS
>>> (I use Debian Sarge). I don't see this headset in the 'features' page Mr
>>> Holtmann maintains. Does it mean it is not supported? it has the
>>> advantage to be good quality,, and I can get one for cheap.
>>>
>>> If not, what model could be used (I want it to use as headset fot PC
>>> phone, to be able to receive VOIP calls, and more with Asterisk server).
>>> It seems more difficult to make calls but it is not important for now.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your attention

by Laurent Lesage

Hi Brad,

thanks for this super-fast answer! I saw that link yesterday but as I'm=20
newbie, this was not sure that differents models have the same=20
components and the same features. What about the BT dongle to use with?=20
And If I understand well (?!), the headset could be used like /dev/dsp=20
ie like any audio device? Am I right? Excuse-me but I try to understant=20