2005-06-24 01:42:22

by Laurent Lesage

Subject: [Bluez-users] how to use BT headset as microphone and the souncard as output

Well, this is not really a BT problem but I would like to use my BT
headset as microphone and allow the sound to go out through the
soundcard of the computer. So the BT headset would be like a wifi
microphone. Cool for presentation, training or conference. But, as far
as I tried, I cannot link the sound card and the BT headset, which uses
USB via dongle.

Any idea or link?? (Linux OS)

Laurent

by Laurent Lesage

Tony Clark a =C3=A9crit :

>On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 23:26 +0000, Laurent Lesage wrote:
> =20
>
>>Well, I have part of the answer. I just used " cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp=
"=20
>>to re-route from the BT headset to the sound card. It works but there i=
s=20
>>a delay of around one second : this is annoying if it has to be used fo=
r=20
>>a conference or training.
>>
>>What is this delay due to?
>>
>>Any idea appreciated :-)
>>
>>Laurent
>>
>>Laurent Lesage a =C3=A9crit :
>> =20
>>
>I think from memory the best you will get it down to is around .5sec. A
>BT mic is probably not want for doing presentations, a normal wireless
>mic should be much better.
>
>tony
>
> =20

A BT headset is more comfortable and leaves your hands free. A small=20
wireless mic is not as cheap as BT headset. (and I don't own the first=20
but the second!)

Thank you for the information

Laurent

by Tony Clark

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 23:26 +0000, Laurent Lesage wrote:
> Well, I have part of the answer. I just used " cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp=
" =

> to re-route from the BT headset to the sound card. It works but there i=
s =

> a delay of around one second : this is annoying if it has to be used fo=
r =

> a conference or training.
> =

> What is this delay due to?
> =

> Any idea appreciated :-)
> =

> Laurent
> =

> Laurent Lesage a =C3=A9crit :
I think from memory the best you will get it down to is around .5sec. A
BT mic is probably not want for doing presentations, a normal wireless
mic should be much better.

tony

by Laurent Lesage

Well, I have part of the answer. I just used " cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp"=20
to re-route from the BT headset to the sound card. It works but there is=20
a delay of around one second : this is annoying if it has to be used for=20
a conference or training.

What is this delay due to?

Any idea appreciated :-)

Laurent

Laurent Lesage a =E9crit :

> Well, this is not really a BT problem but I would like to use my BT=20
> headset as microphone and allow the sound to go out through the=20
> soundcard of the computer. So the BT headset would be like a wifi=20
> microphone. Cool for presentation, training or conference. But, as far=20
> as I tried, I cannot link the sound card and the BT headset, which=20
> uses USB via dongle.
>
> Any idea or link?? (Linux OS)
>
> Laurent

by Brad Midgley

Laurent,

SCO is designed to be low-latency. Usually if you want that low latency,
you use the pcm i/o from the bluetooth chip directly to your
application. That's not really an option with a general purpose computer.

The latency you get is from putting sco onboard the hci bus and the
computer pulling it through the hci stack, but mostly squeezing it
through kernel space/audio drivers a couple of times. you might try dd
with a small bs instead of cat to see if that helps.

Brad