2005-12-01 11:32:55

by Mohan K

Subject: [Bluez-users] VOIP over Bluetooth-Bluez? Is it possible

Hi All,

Is it possible to integrate VOIP and Bluetooth using Bluez?

Advanced thanks for your comments.

Regards,
Mohan

by Andreas Beck

Khaled <[email protected]> wrote:
> How did you get IP setup over bluetooth?
> What sound configuration did you setup?
> OSS, ALSA?
> I hope this isn't off-the-topic but Im having trouble getting IP to work
> over bluetooth; SCO and ACL come into play

No. Let's first look at how VoIP works in general

Person 1 <--> Headset <--> PC <--> VoIP-Software <--> Networking-Stack
Interface to Transport network <--> Transport Network <--> all the stuff
backwards to Person 2.

Bluetooth can come into play at two places:

1. Between Headset and PC in case you are using a Bluetooth headset.
For this you need
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/
It should as well contain a few helpers that make skype play nicely
with BT headsets like picking up and hanging up with the buttons and
switching between headset and main sound system.
I have successfully used this with Skype.

2. Between the Networking-Stack and the Transport Network (usually the
internet), in case you are using a bluetooth connection to connect to
your uplink.
This is where you need other stuff depending on what your uplink is
like. E.g. the modem profile if connection via a BT-modem, the
network stuff, if connecting via antother BT-PC, ...
I haven't tried this, as I feel BT is inadequate for my bandwidth
needs.

CU, Andy

by Michael McConnell

Khaled wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> How did you get IP setup over bluetooth?
> What sound configuration did you setup?
> OSS, ALSA?

pand at the linux end (I'm not in front of my system atm so can't look
up the specifics), WinXP has built-in PAN support, which it offered me
when I plugged in my USB BT dongle.

No OSS or ALSA in this instance (though on my Linux partition on the
laptop ALSA is running as supplied in the kernel, but the sound is very
choppy in Skype, even on my fixed-line connection) as I was running
Skype under WinXP on the laptop.

> I hope this isn't off-the-topic but Im having trouble getting IP to work
> over bluetooth; SCO and ACL come into play and Ive been reading all over the
> place and perhaps am a little confused right now!

I haven't tried attaching a BT headset to my laptop yet. I use a cabled
headset/microphone.

-- Michael

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/

by Khaled

Hi Michael,

How did you get IP setup over bluetooth?
What sound configuration did you setup?
OSS, ALSA?

I hope this isn't off-the-topic but Im having trouble getting IP to work
over bluetooth; SCO and ACL come into play and Ive been reading all over the
place and perhaps am a little confused right now!

Kind Regards

Khaled

Mohan K wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>=20
> Did u connected the 2 PC's over Bluetooth and make calls between two?
> If not, how could you tell that as a VOIP over Bluetooth, right?
>=20
> If I am anything wrong, please correct me.

,------. ,---------.
|Laptop|<--[Bluetooth]-->|Linux box|
`------' `---------'

| (Internet)

,-----------.
|Friend's PC|
`-----------'

The laptop was connected to the Internet using IP over Bluetooth.
Over this connection, Skype was used to chat with my friend.

Hope that clarifies.

-- Michael

> On 12/1/05, Michael McConnell <[email protected]> wrote:
>=20
>>Mohan K wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Is it possible to integrate VOIP and Bluetooth using Bluez?
>>>
>>>Advanced thanks for your comments.
>>
>>I don't see why not.
>>
>>Indeed last night my WinXP laptop was connected via Bluetooth to my
>>Linux desktop running Bluez, and I was in a call with a friend over
>>Skype. It worked rather well.
>>
>>--
>>-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
>> Eridani Star System