2006-08-30 19:51:25

by David Armour

Subject: [Bluez-users] bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

hello list,

i hope this is the right place to ask for help translating the above
error. googling the error message produced no hits.

i'm trying to get my plantronics headset working with Micro Star
International Bluetooth Dongle. i've gotten further using info found at:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/77096/match=bluez+gnome+headset+dapper

than with anything i could dig up in the wiki, or in the ubuntu forums.

## for plantronics headset, the red&blue lights must be flashing ## check!
>> The command should output something like this:
>> Scanning ... 00:13:70:4F:83:3B Nokia HS-26W
## for headset,... 00:03:89:53:EC:7F 320 Plantronics ## woohoo!

>> The set of numbers is the Bluetooth Device Address, bd_addr for short.
>> Running the command: >> sudo hidd --connect <bd_addr>
>> should connect the mouse to the computer, and allow the mouse to work.

## running: >>sudo hidd --connect <00:03:89:53:EC:7F>
## bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' ## gah!

can someone where to look to address this error? thanks in advance.

## relevant hcid.conf: (tried both pinwrapper/bluepin lines
with/without ';')

# HCId options
options {
# Automatically initialize new devices
autoinit yes;

# Security Manager mode
# none - Security manager disabled
# auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
# user - Always ask user for a PIN
#
security auto;

# Pairing mode
# none - Pairing disabled
# multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
# once - Pair once and deny successive attempts
pairing multi;

# PIN helper
#pin_helper /usr/bin/pinwrapper;
pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;

# D-Bus PIN helper
#dbus_pin_helper;
}

>> hcidump -X -V
>> bash: hcidump: command not found ## ????

by Paulo Wollny

Strip < and > from the command... it shoud be: sudo hidd --connect
00:03:89:53:EC:7F

> ## running: >>sudo hidd --connect <00:03:89:53:EC:7F>
> ## bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' ## gah!
>
> can someone where to look to address this error? thanks in advance.

by David Armour

hello redondos

thank you for your help!
> > hello Paulo <snip>
>
> > now, running:

> The program is called 'hcitool' and is probably located in /usr/bin.
> (Please note that you are referring to it as 'hcitools', with a tailing
> 's')

D'oh! talk about an object lesson in failing to see something that's
right in front of me!
i cut'n'pasted the line but i have NO idea how the 's' got there.

*now* running:

>> sudo hcitool auth 00:03:89:53:EC:7F ## gives:
>> Not connected. ## ???

some of the stuff i've since tried, from:
http://www.think-future.de/wiki/index.php?title=Bluetooth#Connection_Establishing

the someone flailing around impression accurately reflects my current
'understanding.'
i'm not clear, obviously, which 'address' (MAC or bd_addr) i'm supposed
to use.

>> hciconfig
>> hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0C:76:47:81:CC ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:1094 acl:0 sco:0 events:67 errors:0
TX bytes:588 acl:0 sco:0 commands:40 errors:0

>> hcitool inq
>> Inquiring ...
>> 00:03:89:53:EC:7F clock offset: 0x4791 class: 0x200404

>> hcitool dev
>> Devices:
>> hci0 00:0C:76:47:81:CC

>> hcitool cc 00:0C:76:47:81:CC
>> Device is not available. ## ???

>> hcitool cc 00:03:89:53:EC:7F
>> Can't create connection: Operation not permitted

>> sudo hidd --connect 00:0C:76:47:81:CC
>> Can't get device information: No route to host
>> sudo hidd --connect 00:03:89:53:EC:7F
>> Can't get device information: Permission denied

>> hcidump -X -V ## gives:
>> bash: hcidump: command not found
## ??? whereis, which, locate fail to return anything resembling hcidump.

>> l2ping 00:03:89:53:EC:7F
>> Can't create socket: Operation not permitted

from the hcid.conf file:
options {
# Automatically initialize new devices
autoinit yes;

# Security Manager mode
# none - Security manager disabled
# auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
# user - Always ask user for a PIN
#
security auto;

# Pairing mode
# none - Pairing disabled
# multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
# once - Pair once and deny successive attempts
pairing multi;

# PIN helper
#pin_helper /usr/bin/pinwrapper;
pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;

# D-Bus PIN helper
#dbus_pin_helper;
}

thanks in advance for any additional tips, clues, recommendations.